Hunting Bullet Recommendation for 270 Win

FLS

WKR
The NBT bdid exactly what it was designed to. It transferred every bit of energy to its target. How far did the cow go after the shot?

Nfactor

FNG
Nosler Accubond LR 150 is what I load for deer and elk. Been very happy with the results.

OP
T
The NBT bdid exactly what it was designed to. It transferred every bit of energy to its target. How far did the cow go after the shot?

Stumbled around while heard ran off. Follow up shot required. Not the bullets fault... I now see I used the wrong hammer for the job.

When I was younger I had good results out of my fathers 270 with factory Hornady SSTs so I figured Nos BT would do well. Maybe I’ve just got lucky with the SSTs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumbled around while heard ran off. Follow up shot required. Not the bullets fault... I now see I used the wrong hammer for the job.

When I was younger I had good results out of my fathers 270 with factory Hornady SSTs so I figured Nos BT would do well. Maybe I’ve just got lucky with the SSTs

I've used BT's and SST's in 270, 280, 30-06, 7mm08, and many other calibers. Most folks tend to lump these 2 bullets together as plastic-tipped grenades that separate or blow up. I have killed a lot of elk with both of these bullets and I can tell you that they behave very differently. The BT tends to expand quicker and produce more "bang flops" on deer sized game, at the expense of more meat loss. The SST usually leaves a caliber-sized entry and a quarter size exit on deer, with less meat loss. On elk, the SST usually penetrates far better, and retains much more weight than the BT, resulting in lots of dead elk! Again, these results were not in speed demon calibers, they were calibers that produce 3000 fps on down. I actually choose SST's over Accubonds in most situations because they tend to be more accurate and open better at longer ranges. Plus Nosler's load data was most likely written by a lawyer instead of a ballistician.

dla

WKR
To follow up on this thread, I just harvest a cow elk at a little over 500 yards with the 130 BT going approx 3000 FPS.

Cow slightly quartering away and I entered in front of the the last rib and bullet stopped in middle of the off side rib cage. The jacket separated from the core. I found the core in the offside rib cage. Not too impressed in a bullet that separated and didn’t make it out when it only hit two ribs and vitals at approx 2100 FPS.

May give the 140 accubond or 150 partition a try... but they are nearly triple the cost of 150 interlocks so may have to try them

Stick with what you have - it works. You dont want a bullet with a pretty mushroom - you want one like what you've got that will chew stuff up even after a 500yd trip.
Pretty mushroom bullets are hole drillers at that distance - an elk-size critter can run a long ways with an arrow shaft-size hole through it.
IMHO of course.

OP
T
Stick with what you have - it works. You dont want a bullet with a pretty mushroom - you want one like what you've got that will chew stuff up even after a 500yd trip.
Pretty mushroom bullets are hole drillers at that distance - an elk-size critter can run a long ways with an arrow shaft-size hole through it.
IMHO of course.

You make a good point... but my main concern was that if I hit the front shoulder with my current set up, I’m not sure how much penetration I’d get

JOC Fan

FNG
I have tried many bullets in my various 270's, 270WSM and 270 WBY including 130 TTSX, 130 AB, 140 AB, 150 NPT etc... and most except the TTSX have produced great kills. However, as of 3 years ago, I have switched to the 140 Tipped Sierra game Kings (Game changers) and have made some spectacular kills with them. They run at 3,125 fps out of my 24" barrel of my custom 270W. in to .2 MOA with no pressure.

Another big fan of the 140 accubond here. I'd like to try the 150 ablr's but until I use up my 140s and can't find anymore, I'm not switching.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried many bullets in my various 270's, 270WSM and 270 WBY including 130 TTSX, 130 AB, 140 AB, 150 NPT etc... and most except the TTSX have produced great kills. However, as of 3 years ago, I have switched to the 140 Tipped Sierra game Kings (Game changers) and have made some spectacular kills with them. They run at 3,125 fps out of my 24" barrel of my custom 270W. in to .2 MOA with no pressure.

Curious, what didn’t you like about the ttsx?

JOC Fan

FNG
They grouped well in both my 270 WBY and my 270W. I used the 130 TTSX in both, flying at 3,426 fps out of my WBY and 3175 fps out of my 270W. I shot a total of 6 deer with them, anywhere from 80 yards to 450 yards. The deer all dies but the exit holes were pretty much all dismal. I rather have 50% retained weight but leave a big exit hole or shred some weight to impart internal damage. I also recovered a 225 grain TTSX on my buddy's elk, shot at under 100 yards that had tumbled with the petals broken.

I know some people love them and swear by them, but I will avoid them for now.

Zappaman

WKR
I used to shoot the good old green box with Core-loks. Then I started using Gamekings. Then... I tried SSTs. In my case, I didn't like the baseball sized holes in the off shoulders. So I researched it (12 years ago) and decided on the Partition. I ran it for about 7 years in a few calibers and really liked it.

Then, a few years ago I stumbled onto the Fusion (Gold Dots). I actually found a massive amount of data on them on the 6.8 SPC forum. I guy that goes by "X-man" tested the HELL (*out of most bullets mentioned here) and the Fusion just rocked at any range (compared to most). I have to agree they don't have the "shock" of the frangible bullets (like the SST) *and if on a "horn hunt" I get why some would rather use those bullets.

But given I eat meat I shoot, and the mono's seem to have issues opening up way out there (where I SOMETIMES shoot) I've found the Partition to be my favorate with this Gold Dot coming in a close second place- especially ON pigs where they have usually passed through leaving a good blood trail (I rarely have needed). But for elk, I'll stick with the Partition (160g out of my 7mmRM).