Hunting Chelan, WA

Don’t give up on cat either look for the ungulates and you will begin to find track be relentless they are clever and patient but run in predictable places as you follow track you will begin to find their preferred routes they are just like an over grown house cat. Good luck boys please get out and kill some more

My great uncle has lived up there for something like 30 years on the west side of the lake, he’s probably got 5-6 cougar encounter stories, this pic was taken just down the road from his place. We had a fresh set of tracks on top of our tracks a day after hiking a ridge top, assumed female and kittens. Never got in a situation that caused concern but it makes a guy think a little. We ran into some guys out there that were talking about grizzly reintroduction in the north end of the mountain range, did that ever get traction ?

Attachments

• C24DDC42-2A32-45B7-9F66-BE6BD6F1CEA0.jpeg
    C24DDC42-2A32-45B7-9F66-BE6BD6F1CEA0.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 45
Just curious, what exactly happened in that area that brought the populations down so badly? I know the 2015 harvest in the state was insane and coupled with a few bad winters following that, but was that really enough to damage the herds so badly? Have the recent fires in the twisp contributed as well?
Its a combination of a lot of things, the predators are bad for sure, but the winter grounds that are now orchards, housing developments and mini-farms have hurt the deer badly.

You'll need to get off the trail by more than a mile or two to get away from hunters.. Like everyone else has been saying, rough country with low deer density and still more hunters than you would expect.

tuk

FNG
I live in eastern Washington. And I am still looking for a good spot. But like someone said hunt early for mule fill a tag on a whitetail. That’s what I do as well.

Brendan

WKR
Boston... are you guys even allowed to own guns there? 😂

Yes, but sadly there is a roster and we're right up there with the worst states in the country in that regard...

In all seriousness, I've spent a lot of time in Washington, gorgeous state that has a lot going for it. The problem is people are ruining pretty much everywhere nice.

Yes, but sadly there is a roster and we're right up there with the worst states in the country in that regard...

In all seriousness, I've spent a lot of time in Washington, gorgeous state that has a lot going for it. The problem is people are ruining pretty much everywhere nice.
I would agree with that. It’s a great place, and the people who are from here are pretty nice people... but a lot of the transplants are assholes... hence the “Seattle freeze”... at least that’s my understanding of it. Unfortunately being a transplant myself(and not an asshole) you still get lumped together.

The thing that kills me is the amount of people who will move to a place and try to make it like where they left. You dumbass - you left California, so why the hell are you trying to make this “new california”?

Predators are completely out of control in WA, and WDFW does nothing. I have more than a dozen cameras up year round in the NE corner, and the drop in ungulates the last ten years is mind boggling. Basin after basin of perfect habitat, and no animals. All the game trails growing shut. It's irreversible without a completely different mindset on predators.

slvrslngr

WKR
Predators are completely out of control in WA, and WDFW does nothing. I have more than a dozen cameras up year round in the NE corner, and the drop in ungulates the last ten years is mind boggling. Basin after basin of perfect habitat, and no animals. All the game trails growing shut. It's irreversible without a completely different mindset on predators.
What exactly would you like WDFW to do? Unfortunately, they have to play the political game as well as manage the resource. The voters banned hounds, not a thing WDFW could do about that. Wolves were forced on us like everywhere else. The tribal hunts are out of WDFW's purview. Poaching is a bigger issue than anyone wants to admit. And hard winters, drought and EHD have really knocked back the whitetail deer. Not to mention habitat loss due to an exploding human population.

At least you can hunt coyotes year round, lions most of the year and bear season is 5 months. Do you predator hunt?

What elevation range does everyone target during modern season in WA? Kind of wondering how high is too high...stuck between hunting sub-alpine above 6500 or more timbered deadfall country 5600-6500.

4g0t3n1

FNG
I shot my first muley this year by Chelan, a solid 3x3. My question is how long does it take to draw a sheep hunt in that area?

That same hunt I shot my muley this year I saw a tank of a sheep walking along the road by the Columbia River on my drive back, almost two full curls. This is my dream hunt.
It’s a random draw so there’s always the possibility but the odds are not great.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
You want a WA. sheep tag ,start applying young and pray hard. But sometimes ya get lucky . You guys are mostly right ,transplants are tough ,dfw politics arent geared toward recource near as much as revenue and Im sorry to say wolves and grizzlys get way more grant $ than mule deer . Worked there 20 plus yrs. ret. 5 about yrs. ago .

lonedave

WKR
For any of the OIL permits, you've got to put in your dues. I started applying in 1972 at 14....I finally drew a ram permit in 2014....42 years later! In the interim, I did draw 3 goat permits before they became OIL and drew an any moose permit in 2015 after 38 years applying. The last permit I've drawn was for a ewe in 2019. I've still got an OIL goat permit, cow moose, and juvenile ram waiting for me and I've hopefully got a few years left in me!

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
I can sympathize with you - I had to do the same thing. Are you fit enough to hike in 8 miles or so fully loaded and then pack out a deer with your gear on the backside as well? If so, you can tag along with me this year. My High Buck plans are in the area you’re asking about, but I’ll be with a larger group. If I don’t shoot one myself I’ll be doing the general season in a Wilderness on the peninsula that I can guarantee you a buck.

If you don’t want to tag along, I’d highly recommend checking out any of the wildernesses. I’ve seen deer in all of them. You can even get high and glass in the cascade ones. You’ll be amazed at the results of just taking an extra day for hiking in a bit further away from the typical hiking crowds. Another trick: get on Caltopo or Gaia and look at the trails in a wilderness. Either find abandoned trails or areas with no trails. From there look for your typical deer areas and then get out there and scout it. Funnily enough I just did this today in an area I frequently hike and found a fantastic drainage that I remember being pretty open country, but didn’t realize there were no trails in
I’m from AZ and lived in WA for a while. This is sage advice wherever you’re at. Wish I had a chance to do it there though.