Hunting Clothing Choice

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everybody, me and a friend are going elk hunting for archery elk in september of 2021 and i’m looking for new clothing for the trip. I have been interested in Kuiu but have no first hand experience and would like to know more. If kuiu isn’t the best choice, what would be some other options? Thanks in advance for all of the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite corrugate guide pants
First Lite kiln hoodie
Minus 33 merino underwear & tshirt
First Lite Klamath hoodie when it's chilly
Mid Weight merino long johns (black ovis)
Darn Tough socks

I'm a fan of FL because their clothing fits great, and the quality seems top notch

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu pro pant and merino 1/4 zip long sleeve have been good to me as my main foundation. In the morning or if it's a cold day I have a Rubicon jacket and that's been plenty on my active September elk hunts. Exofficio boxer briefs. Darn tough socks.
Don't forget leukotape.

Im no expert so I can't say it's the best out there but I've been very happy.

All of these are great brands. If you have a grand to drop on clothes all at once, I don't think you'd regret it. I've bought a couple pieces of Sitka gear of the years and been very impressed.

But.... if you are hunting in September in the lower 48, you might not need technical gear built to handle a sheep hunting expedition. Gamehide makes decent clothes for a decent price.

I wear Sitka. Either one is light years better than anything else. It sounds like it’s your first elk hunt so I hope you end up sticking with it so you can use that investment. But they make damn comfortable deer hunting clothes too!

Get merino bases. A set of light and one heavy. A heavier shirt for every day use. I wear a Sitka Traverse zip T. Then for your upper body a puffy mid layer. I prefer a vest so my arms are still totally unrestricted. I wear a Kelvin vest. Not the light.

Then pick your outer wear. My pants are Sitka Timberline. I like the waterproof seat and built in knee pads. Up top it’s the Jetstream. Number one piece of clothing day in and day out. If you put the Kelvin vest under that you’re ready for anything other than maybe sitting on the very top somewhere in late season rifle. For those sits I break out the Sitka Incinerator. I love it. It’s like a sleeping bag. I also wear the fleece lined neck gator a lot and the same model beanie. For warm days my hat is a Jetstream. I’m thinking about buying the Hudson for next year.

I shot my elk this year in a set of cabelas brand strata, like $55 top and bottom. I do own one older set of their good octane camo and a Sitka set, also. Depends how much you want to spend and what style hunting you’re doing. Just don’t skimp on quality hiking boots.

KHNC

WKR
Dump the Kuiu idea in my opinion. And i think you should look at Pnuma Gear. They are one awesome company with Great gear! Their new gaiter pants are very innovative. They stock everything you need and dont come with a mandatory flat bill like sitka warrior camo.

There’s a lot of lists around for what one needs for a mountain hunt. I’d look at what the minimalist backpackers take with them and start there, take a few extra things if you think you’ll want them and you can adjust next season if you wish you’d had more or wish you’d carried less.
Best of luck on your elk hunt!

I wear the Kuiu tiburan pants with the peleton 118 LS and SS for early sept hunts. Not a fan of merino wool, but Kuiu's gear is top notch and if you wait you can always find a deal, I don't think I've ever paid the full price. Plus they do a 10% military if that factors in for you.

Phaseolus

WKR
For me that versatility that thigh zips in pants give is a no brainer. If a pant doesn’t have thigh zips I’m not buying it.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the great answers, i’ll have to look for into it, i’m a skinny dude (6 feet, 150 pounds) so my main concern is that length fits well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ICantHunt

FNG
First Lite corrugate guide pants
First Lite kiln hoodie
Minus 33 merino underwear & tshirt
First Lite Klamath hoodie when it's chilly
Mid Weight merino long johns (black ovis)
Darn Tough socks

I'm a fan of FL because their clothing fits great, and the quality seems top notch
Do you think the fit is looser than most? I’ve seen a couple reviews online saying a xxl corrugate guide pant fits 290-300 lb guys

As others have mentioned here: Merino Wool baselayers are going to be your best friend and Darn Tough socks cannot be beat with a lifetime warranty.

I would say the most important decision you can make is boots that fit and you can walk a lot in with your feet staying dry, warm and blister free.

bsnedeker

WKR
Kuiu camo patterns look much cooler than any other camo patterns in my opinion. If you want to look cool when you are hunting I say go Kuiu.

If you don't care about looking cool buy stuff that is on sale and/or not from hunting brands and not camo. You will be just as successful as if you had bought into a "system".

I'll be honest, whenever I see a guy that is head-to-toe in one camo pattern I immediately assume they are not a very good hunter! I'm often wrong about this, but it is what it is! Lol!

Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, Pnuma are all good but very pricey. I have a mixture of Kryptek , Sitka and Cabelas brand.
I honestly can't tell you the expensive stuff is better. If money is no object buy the premium. Even then buy it
now-Feb on Sale. I always find great deals on Sitka, Kryptek this time of year. Midway USA also has blemish
stuff that I don't see any problem with.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I would argue base layers you can get away on the cheaper side and outer layers you kind of get what you pay for. I really like BlackOvis merino base layers and they're usually on camofire and not too expensive. Even with socks I prefer Costco's merino which are like 15 bucks for a 4 pack over darn tough or smartwool. I've had Kuiu and Sitka outer layers, but I tend to prefer Sitka although Kuiu has some nice pieces like their Chinook pants. This is what I look like leaving the tent on a typical low 30s morning and highs in the 50's in September.
Black ovis base layers or Sitka/cabelas merino base
Sitka Apex pant
Sitka Apex hoody
Kelvin Light hoody
(heavyweight hoody in the pack just in case it gets chilly or some weather comes rolling in)

Generally I like leaving camp chilled as I warm up pretty quickly.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one; this one is just mine.

11boo

WKR
I’d love to spend your money OP, but here’s all you need
For me that versatility that thigh zips in pants give is a no brainer. If a pant doesn’t have thigh zips I’m not buying it.
those zips are the ticket when you are sweating for sure. nothing like a cool breeze down there.