Hunting Clothing Choice

Elkangle

WKR
Kuiu makes good gear, but it is not our first choice. Here is our go to system for archery elk hunts:

Sitka Merino Boxer
Core Lightweight Bottom (for use in cooler temperatures)
Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody
Sitka Apex Hoody
Sitka Apex Pant
Sitka Kelvin Active Jacket
Sitka Mountain Glove
Sitka Jetstream Beanie
Sitka Cloudburst Jacket (if rain is a concern)
Sitka Cloudburst Pant (if rain is a concern)

This is a decent start...I would minus the beanie,gloves, core bottoms

Then add the 1st light zip off bottoms..one in each weight

Then add the sitka shacket

Then the Kelvin light down jacket

I'm assuming you can afford it if your asking so my advice is to stick to camo...don't worry bout the internet warriors busting your chops bout there grandparents killing animals in blue jeans....focus on the gear that is best suited for getting the job done

If you prefer a different camo pattern both 1st light and kuiu have gear in similar weights that will serve the same purpose

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Elkangle, i’ll have to look deeper into first light and sitka as i’d been focused on kuiu due to the look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
So many fans of the different clothing lines....

I wear a wicking boxer or working LJ's if its cold, good synthetic pant that sheds water and is fairly quiet, Merino shirt with another Syn or merino shirt over it. Insulation wise I really like the Syn hoody by either Sitka or Kuiu. And I really like the light weight Kuiu Kenai jacket as its super quiet.

My go to setup;

FL merino long boxer
Kuiu Attack pants in a neutral color
Icebreaker short sleeve solid shirt
Kuiu LS merino T shirt
Sitka traverse or heavy weight hoody

That ^ gets you through most everything. The Kuiu stuff tends to be lighter than most others.

I do think the Kuiu rain gear is the best I've seen.....and always have at least the jacket. It is nice to have the Kuiu over pant [down] if you do a lot of glassing] and a down puffy can be worth its weight in gold if its cold.

Jakerex

WKR
Sierra trading post for polypropylene long underwear, cheap.
Kryptek
Sitka
Kuiu
First lite
And the list goes on, outerwear.

Sitka is what I've mostly invested in over the last couple of years. Don't have a single complaint other than the sting of the initial investment. Paid for itself this past year when two of my hunting partners went back to the tent while we were glassing due to the cold.
As for socks, I've tried several including Darn Tough, Icebreaker, and Cabelas merino. The best fitting I've found is from Farm to Feet. Lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

4rcgoat

WKR
Lol...i own some pretty technical gear,and so does my son to an extent. Spend what you like,but it doesn't take much to get the job done. My kid took this bull this year in 0 degree temps wearing his carhart pants and jacket and muck boots!🥴

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 33

Cfriend

FNG
For pants, Prana Zion Stretch have been great for me. You can find them on sale under $60. They are super comfortable and very durable.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Good merino wool.
Forget the branding, look for what really fits your needs technically, Fitment, dry, warmth and movement, etc.
Sierra trading, REI , Outdoor research offer so good reasonable rain and warm gear for the money.

Last edited:
I have some nice outdoor clothes (not camo) I picked up at quality used clothing stores. Took them all the way to New Zealand and hunted tahr in the rain successfully. My dad still hunts in the mountains in blue jeans and plaid shirts. He says the plaid helps break up his silhouette. I would like a full Sitka setup someday, but I think whatever keeps you warm and dry is good for rifle hunts.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
I’d echo the recommendations for merino. I like the first lite merino pants for everything. They’re great alone and you can always add a merino base layer if it’s cold. I think they’re called obsidians. I also have a light and heavy weight first lite merino hoody. A down vest and a soft shell jacket. Just those few items are all I need from 70 degrees all the way down to probably 20, depending on activity level and that’s assuming it stays dry.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think the fit is looser than most? I’ve seen a couple reviews online saying a xxl corrugate guide pant fits 290-300 lb guys
Mine aren't loose, I was concerned before I ordered them. I'm tall & slim and can't stand baggy clothing. 6'3", 190lbs, 35" inseam. I order the medium tall, which are perfect fit. My son has a pair of the Obsidians which are actually too loose. Not sure which size he has though. I've found King's camo pants to fit great also, even for a string bean like me, they have what I would consider an athletic fit. It always seems to be a challenge to find clothing that fits, when ya have to order it.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu camo patterns look much cooler than any other camo patterns in my opinion. If you want to look cool when you are hunting I say go Kuiu.

If you don't care about looking cool buy stuff that is on sale and/or not from hunting brands and not camo. You will be just as successful as if you had bought into a "system".

I'll be honest, whenever I see a guy that is head-to-toe in one camo pattern I immediately assume they are not a very good hunter! I'm often wrong about this, but it is what it is! Lol!
Come on now......looking cool is half the fun haha. It's kinda expensive though.

jfs82

WKR
Thanks Elkangle, i’ll have to look deeper into first light and sitka as i’d been focused on kuiu due to the look!

Kuiu is good stuff. If you like it go for it. There's just several good options, I have various pieces form kuiu, FL, sitka and kryptek myself.

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good recommendations, especially with the merino. I own a couple pieces from the majority of the companies mentioned with more Kuiu then any of it. Kuiu makes some amazing pieces and they’re light weight as it gets.
My recommendations would be;
Kuiu peloton 118 or Sitka lightweight core hoody
First light mid layer. I still wish they made the Chama hoody
Sitka heavyweight would be a real good option too
Kuiu puffy’s are amazing
I second, third, forth vote for prana pants. They’re by far the most comfortable I own.
Second choice would be Kuiu attacks
I own a pair of Patagonia thermals for me legs that have served me perfectly for years through all kinds of climates. I will probably go to Kuiu zip offs or FL long merino underwear for my next.

Lots of good options!

JiminAZ

FNG
You haven't said where you're hunting or whether it's wet there. That will drive some decisions.

I have pieces from Black Ovis, Sitka, Kuiu, and a bunch of Cabelas rack grade offerings from over the years. So far all brands of camo have worked in terms of breaking up the human form when hunting.

You can pick what fits, and you've gotten some good advice. Here's what I'd add.

I have found the pocket layouts, deep pockets, quiet zippers and snaps, and knee pads in the Sitka stuff I own to be super useful. No trouble with zippers so far. The knee pads have really proven to be helpful on my hunts - can drop down right now pretty much anywhere without taking a chunk of gravel to the knee.

Think about where you're going to stash a call, or your rangefinder, cellphone, gps, or your gloves/hat. Your ID and tag, etc.

Pit zips and thigh zips are really important to me. I sweat easily so preemptive venting pays off. That's why I like the 1/4 zip tops also.

The Sitka beanies are useless to me. Don't cover my ears. I have 7-5/8 hat size. big but not freakishly big. the Kuiu do cover my ears. I have a $14 fleece hat from Cabelas that I use a lot. Be careful with hats - some of them will significantly impact your hearing.

The Sitka no stink tech in their mid layers really works. Have worn a midweight 1/4 zip on a winter deer hunt for 5 days. No BO even after getting sweated up while climbing, surprisingly. Smelled dirty and grubby and sweaty but no BO.

Merino has similar no/low stink properties. Love it for base layers I think you can't beat it. Catch the Black Ovis stuff on sale.

With that said I use a cheap Cabelas polypropylene set of long john bottoms on cold days. But always merino up top.

Layers are key. Also think about stopping/blocking wind. Sitka's Jetstream or equivalent is pretty strong here.

I also carry a goretex shell. I think in the Sitka line that's Cloudburst but the other lines have them too. Packs down small and easily donned over whatever else I'm wearing, whatever the season..

Last edited:
Kings camo makes some great lightweight clothing. Very comfortable, great western patterns and affordable

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ridgefire

WKR
I have First Lite and Sitka but the Sitka is my go to. It is spendy initially but you get what you pay for. My brother has some Kuiu stuff that he really likes. Buy once, cry once. I would buy Sitka if I was in your shoes.

Hoodie

WKR
Lots of good clothing out there. You can save a lot by looking at mountaineering brands for items that don´t have to be camo like pants, puffy, and rain gear. I personally don´t think Arcteryx, Patagonia, and Outdoor Research give up anything to Kuiu or Sitka.

If camo is important to you just get a merino top and mid-layer maybe.

I don´t know your budget, but definitely don´t be the guy in head to toe Sitka with cheap binos. Good optics, pack, and boots are critical. Camo is way down the list below them.

Something to consider is that a whole matching ¨system¨ from the top end hunting clothing brands can cost as much as a non-resident license and tag. Depending on how you allocate your funds you may be able to hunt more if you skip the camo. Nothing wrong with high-end camo, but it is expensive.