Hunting Clothing

tshunter

FNG
After reading the past couple months on here I realized how lucky I have been with my hunting my entire life. I have always filled my deer and elk tags without owning one single item from Sitka, Kuiu, or First Lite. I have also never worn anything camouflage. Wow! What are the odds? Lucky huh?

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
"derp, derp.. Look at me in muh plaid and Wranglers.. Derp, derp.."

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
So were mine.. And given the choice, they would probably chosen, at times, to wear technical gear if it were available.. I own and hunt in plenty of wool and such, but when I'm spending weeks in the hills, the tech gear is, hands down, a real benefit to my hunting experience..

The newer clothes have their place. They definitely make things more comfortable. Your results may vary.

So, where do you draw the line? New, techy clothing is bad, but modern rifles, optics, bows are good? You walk/ride a horse to your hunting locations just like great great granpa? How do you keep the powder dry for the flintlock musket?
A wool plaid shirt is ok, but a wool camo shirt is not?
Just curious.

OP
T

tshunter

FNG
I have seen a lot of elk and deer shot by people wearing Wrangler jeans and plaid wool coats. Those guys must have been lucky too. Does derp mean lucky?

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up a northeast wool wearing guy, and for the most part, still am. However, the new technical stuff is so light and well made, it’s certainly worth a look. A “cheap” pair of 100% wool pants will last many years and can usually be repaired. A cheap pair of synthetics will not last, so I get the higher cost of first lite, Sitka, etc.

I regularly go through some nasty stuff tracking a buck, and I wonder how a pant like the Timberlines would hold up to briars, etc.

I don’t think camo works any better than solids. I also think plaids and even fluorescent orange works well. That’s just my opinion though.

BluMtn

WKR
Its not so much the camo for buying the new stuff. I grew up wearing wranglers and sweatshirts with a coat over the top of that. So-so boots and socks while hunting in snow, cold weather and wind. Froze my rear end off. I enjoyed the hunt, but not the conditions. As I have gotten older I enjoy the new stuff because it is lighter, more comfortable, and warmer which make a long day in the mountains more enjoyable. I don't mind sitting out on an open ridge in below zero weather and glassing for hours without having to move. Another reason I like the camo has I have mentioned before is not the animals but for my fellow hunters who have no clue I am sitting under a tree across the canyon from them letting them do my brushing for me.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I like the new stuff although I can’t afford most of it right now. But nothing is more comfortable then my surplus $30 dollar wool pants. They are perfect in the waist and length. But baggy in the thighs. And for some reason they are cut with a huge ass. Never seen pants like it before.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I like the new stuff although I can’t afford most of it right now. But nothing is more comfortable then my surplus $30 dollar wool pants. They are perfect in the waist and length. But baggy in the thighs. And for some reason they are cut with a huge ass. Never seen pants like it before.

i have a pair of the Korean War wool field pants. Great pants but yeah, baggy in ass and crotch but that’s because they were made to be pulled up to your tits for warmth. Haha

I wear Filson and LL Bean wool. They are comfortable, quiet, warm, and now after reading this thread I’ll have to add lucky.

Filson might as well be the Sitka of plaid and wool. It’s expensive, predominately imported... and it’s a brand for people who want to be able to say they buy it. Sometimes they like to say they buy it on online hunting forums as a way to shame people who like to buy other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Filson might as well be the Sitka of plaid and wool. It’s expensive, predominately imported... and it’s a brand for people who want to be able to say they buy it. Sometimes they like to say they buy it on online hunting forums as a way to shame people who like to buy other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slow clap... Well played sir..

OP
T

tshunter

FNG
bigbaddad71 must be a great hunter with all his gear, unless he’s scaring all the game away with his laughter toward normal people.

I don’t feel that you “need” any of those brands or camo for that matter. Plenty of animals get killed every year without that stuff. That being said, I am much more comfortable in my Sitka and kuiu than I ever was in my carhartt pants, Henley shirt and under armor hoodie. The Sitka and kuiu allow me to stay out longer in inclement weather, stay drier while hiking and sitting in snow/rain and are much lighter in overall weight. And as for camo over solids anything that might give me a slight advantage over an animal even if it’s 1 out of 100 times, I’ll take. But no reason to hate on whatever works for other people, which I feel was the original intent of this post.

techmanil

FNG
I went to trade school with a Kentuckian that shot his first turkey wearing an old paisley dress that belonged to his grandma. Of course, this was in the late seventies and we were all dirt poor at the time. I have not talked to him the last few years, but he had graduated to wearing camo for most of his hunting. As stated above, the new technical clothing is so much more weather efficient and light weight than what many of of was raised using. Reducing clothing weight can be the difference between a 60 pound pack and a low 50 pound pack.

OP
T

tshunter

FNG
There’s no hate towards anything. I just don’t get it. So many people think they need to spend a fortune on that apparel to start hunting. I’m just saying it’s not necessary at all. Others in here were the ones who bashed plaid, Wranglers, and Filson. You might have to reread the thread BeaverHunter.