Hunting Clothing?

Being an outfitter I get to use some of the best gear money can buy. A

I have used lots of different gear and am always looking to improve what I have. Being an outfitter I get pricy stuff at 40-60% off of list but it's still cost an arm and a leg. Let's look at late season clothing with a focus on keeping dry:

My first pants were Sitka Stormfront with removable knee pads. Super pricy by my standards but I used them for 3 seasons and they were the ticket. I have to add that my son is a assistant Sheep guide and he used them for 3 sheep seasons as well. The issue for me was that they lost the ability to shed water and where I hunt, wet is the rule and I hate being wet. So this year my kids bought me a pair of Kuiu Talas Hybrid pants for Christmas. With my pro deal they were 50% less than the Sitka gear. I have not used them yet but they look and feel wonderful. I have high expectations!

Jacket/shell: 3 years ago I bought a Sitka Cloudburst jacket, real pricy and it has been great. Still sheds wet and is 100% wind proof. I love this jacket and I hope to get anther 2-3 seasons out of it.

Ok now the question. For my money I feel that for Alaska hunts there are only 3 options. Sitka Gear, Kuiu and Kifaru. From your experience with wet, snowy and cold conditions what has worked for you. I also want to add the ticket price as none of us are made of money. Which of these 3 or maybe another choice in top of the line outer gear do you choose and why?

Attachments

• thumbnail-1.jpeg
    thumbnail-1.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 117

Napperm4

WKR
I’ve tried Sitka and Kuiu. (Also REI, Mec, Marmot, Patagonia, HH and arcteryx)

For the conditions you’re describing I would pick one of my Kuiu jackets. I’m a huge fan of the kutana storm shell. They really nailed it out of the park with this one. The only caveat is that I haven’t had it in a week of constant rain.

If you’re going to be doing a lot of brush busting or in multiple days of hard rain, I would probably lean to the Yukon rain jacket. My go to before the kutana came out.

NUGGET

WKR
I like to use Costco clothes. That ram picture...is interesting....to say the least....

• Banned
OP
Northwestalaska
That Ram is the one my son guided last fall in the Alaska Range...He is the blond 22 years old in the back. That was a BIG Ram

PA Hunter

WKR
I have been completely satisfied with my Kuiu Yukon rain gear. Very durable going on 8 years moose hunting Newfoundland so far. I can’t wait to get to Alaska next year for your big boys!

mcseal2

WKR
I have only made one trip to Alaska so far, but will change that this September. I have hunted a lot of other cold wet places.

Only thing I'd add is that I like Darn Tough Wool socks and FIrst Lite Aerowool base layers. The Aerowool dries faster than merino and works for me next to skin. Past that I'm mostly using the same brands as you. I like my Kifaru LPP a lot and will probably end up with the pants also. I guess my rain jacket is a First Lite SEAK bought when they discontinued ASAT and it has worked great. I use Kuiu Yukon rain pants. My favorite fleece layers are the Kuiu Peloton

I mix and match a lot on brands and camo patterns, I just want what works and don't care much how it looks.

PA Hunter

WKR
I have only made one trip to Alaska so far, but will change that this September. I have hunted a lot of other cold wet places.

Only thing I'd add is that I like Darn Tough Wool socks and FIrst Lite Aerowool base layers. The Aerowool dries faster than merino and works for me next to skin. Past that I'm mostly using the same brands as you. I like my Kifaru LPP a lot and will probably end up with the pants also. I guess my rain jacket is a First Lite SEAK bought when they discontinued ASAT and it has worked great. I use Kuiu Yukon rain pants. My favorite fleece layers are the Kuiu Peloton

I mix and match a lot on brands and camo patterns, I just want what works and don't care much how it looks.
I have the Darn Tough socks also and agree awesome, hunted South Dakota this past December fell through ice to my chest - 7 and hunted the whole day not cold at all. Them darn tough socks even soaking wet kept my feet warm and my first lite merino base layer completely soaked kept my body warm.

My moose hunting is primarily calling from hills surrounded by willow/marsh, so I typically set up a tarp that I sit under when it rains...the hills are covered with white spruce, so easy to stay dry with a tarp set up.