Hunting Colorado unit 35, 36, & 361 in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcm2

WKR
The elk will be where there is food, water and solitude. I had a bull bugling opening day at 8300 feet, but on private dirt. I planned on being in my spot today but it's a little too close to the Alkali Creek fire for my comfort level. If the fire spreads rapidly my best case scenario is running like a madman on private property and losing my Jeep.

I’m not sure how to deal with pressure. I would assume just get into worse and worse terrain where others won’t go. Think like an elk...where would you go to get away from everyone? And what times would you pop your head out?

As far as the rest goes it’s a matter of finding elk then “hunting”. Cover lots of grout d quickly and move on if there’s no sign or looks super old (ie they were here...last year). It’s a newer tactic I’m using due to the lack of elk compared to years past.

kcm2

WKR
How to deal with pressure? Watch escape routes or hunt the hell holes they go to when bothered.

Now, escape routes may also be on the way to private land, not just to the rough spots to hunt.

8800Grif

FNG
Thanks for the tips!
Curious how this hunt turned out for you? I drew the same hunt this year, but an either sex tag. I spent the day driving around the units today exploring access, and deciding on spots to come back and take a closer look at. With the three units together, it’s an absolutely massive hunt area to cover. It seems like 36 has the best access and public land, but 35 sure felt like AZ which was my stomping grounds for many years.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious how this hunt turned out for you? I drew the same hunt this year, but an either sex tag. I spent the day driving around the units today exploring access, and deciding on spots to come back and take a closer look at. With the three units together, it’s an absolutely massive hunt area to cover. It seems like 36 has the best access and public land, but 35 sure felt like AZ which was my stomping grounds for many years.
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt, that's a really good tag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.