Hunting Colorado unit 35, 36, & 361 in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey hope everyone is staying safe and getting outside

My wife and I drew 2 bull tags in Colorado. Unit 35. 36 and 361 for first rifle this season 2020. We are newer to elk hunting tried an otc hunt last year without luck.. I would appreciate any info/guidence on were to start looking/ e scouting tips or just some general knowledge of were and how to find elk out in this area of Colorado (egale) Like were they like to be medows, timber... What times are easiest to spot them... Etc

Will get 4 days of scouting 2/3 weeks before and 2 days before the hunt we will be there.
I spoke with the game warden who was helpful but not specific.
Looked at the Atlas as well

Any help or guidence is appreciated

Been in those units. I won't point you where to go, but get near timberline and enjoy the elk you see. Times? Be set at 1 hour before dark and glass.

v37co

FNG
I'm not saying they aren't out there. Just don't expect much solitude

SteveinMN

FNG
I've been hunting next door in unit 37 past two seasons. Agree there are people around, but there are elk too. I've put in long days of hiking high and a seen a few, but surprisingly seen most of them very close to main roads, and seen significant sign very close to the roads too. If you're up high and not seeing them don't be afraid to look low for sign. I think the elk give a wider berth to people on foot than they do to people with motors. Two years ago I shot my cow within 1/4 mile of I-70 and last year ran into a small herd even closer than that.

twrob18

FNG
I don't think it will be long until 35/36/361 will either become like Unit 44/45/47/444 where archery will be bull only (rifle cow tags are extremely limited) or do away with OTC tags in those units all together. Recreation never sleeps here. People are out in the woods at all times of the year. Unfortunately, there is a large number of people that go into closed areas during calving season that has dramatically decreased the elk numbers as well. They are here but be prepared to work for it. Hopefully there won't be as much pressure during 1st season.

Hey hope everyone is staying safe and getting outside

My wife and I drew 2 bull tags in Colorado. Unit 35. 36 and 361 for first rifle this season 2020. We are newer to elk hunting tried an otc hunt last year without luck.. I would appreciate any info/guidence on were to start looking/ e scouting tips or just some general knowledge of were and how to find elk out in this area of Colorado (egale) Like were they like to be medows, timber... What times are easiest to spot them... Etc

Will get 4 days of scouting 2/3 weeks before and 2 days before the hunt we will be there.
I spoke with the game warden who was helpful but not specific.
Looked at the Atlas as well

Any help or guidence is appreciated
Lots of elk in those units. lots of hunters!!

OP
Anyone hunt these areas or know th well willing to help us out. Please PM me.
I have spent lots of time in 35 scouting this year 2020, 7 days total My new wife is determined to find a elk. Glassing is tough they don't come out of the woods. We have only found sign, not even seen an elk yet. And yes we got way back in their where no trails. We just got back tonight and found nothing fresher than 5 days old. Same with some of the more experienced bow hunters. Seems like they were all blown out.... Lots of hunters 10 walked through my valley I was glassing above in 6 hours time.... I feel like I have a good grasp on access to 35 but we can't find elk so... What am I doing wrong? Going to talk with the game warden again as he was really nice. When. I talked with him in august.
We got so frustrated with 35 and we went to 36 which is huge and after doing research it's so big...any help with accessing the more remote areas would be appreciated. I was at the base of the eagles nest wilderness and their were 10 trucks parked all looking like hunting vehicles.

We are willing to walk and pack an elk out.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Sounds like Colorado elk hunting. They’re all over during the summer but come elk season the vanish to private. Sounds like you’re puttin in the effort. Good luck!

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone hunt these areas or know th well willing to help us out. Please PM me.
I have spent lots of time in 35 scouting this year 2020, 7 days total My new wife is determined to find a elk. Glassing is tough they don't come out of the woods. We have only found sign, not even seen an elk yet. And yes we got way back in their where no trails. We just got back tonight and found nothing fresher than 5 days old. Same with some of the more experienced bow hunters. Seems like they were all blown out.... Lots of hunters 10 walked through my valley I was glassing above in 6 hours time.... I feel like I have a good grasp on access to 35 but we can't find elk so... What am I doing wrong? Going to talk with the game warden again as he was really nice. When. I talked with him in august.
We got so frustrated with 35 and we went to 36 which is huge and after doing research it's so big...any help with accessing the more remote areas would be appreciated. I was at the base of the eagles nest wilderness and their were 10 trucks parked all looking like hunting vehicles.

We are willing to walk and pack an elk out.

I hunted 36 in muzzleloader. I heard 8 shots opening day, then nothing. I’ve never seen as many hunters as I did this year. Silence after the first day. I have a few areas that smell so much like elk you’d think it was a petting zoo. They were all blown out by the first day. What I haven’t figured out is if they got pushed to the Eagles Nest or to one of the nearby ranches.

From my experience last year, 35 is mainly BLM and guys on quads and side by sides road hunting.

OP
Wow that's crazy that they all took off. Which is kinda what I found and other hunters were seeing this past week.

Did you even see one while hunting?

garbs

FNG
I’m in a nearby unit and the hunting pressure is insane this year. It’s almost like everyone who couldn’t travel due to covid used their vacation time to go hunting. Weekends, during the week, it doesn’t matter.

For reference, I’m about 5 miles in from the nearest trailhead and still keep encountering other hunters, usually when working a bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.