Hunting Consultant/Landowner Voucher Broker - Ben Brown

ndbuck09

WKR
Hi All, everyone here has a lot of experience so I'm curious if anyone has ever purchased landowner vouchers from Ben Brown of Trail Blaze Hunting consultants? I'm looking at a Colorado Antelope landowner voucher for my wife as she wants to get an antelope. We struck out in Wyoming's crazy draw this year so a landowner voucher is our Plan C. With that said, I'd like to hear of anyone's dealings with Mr. Brown and landowner tags from him. It'd just be nice to have contact with someone else who has done business with him before we plunk down our hard earned cash for a tag somewhere based solely on the seller's review of a hunt opportunity.

Thanks!

Takem

WKR
Hi All, everyone here has a lot of experience so I'm curious if anyone has ever purchased landowner vouchers from Ben Brown of Trail Blaze Hunting consultants? I'm looking at a Colorado Antelope landowner voucher for my wife as she wants to get an antelope. We struck out in Wyoming's crazy draw this year so a landowner voucher is our Plan C. With that said, I'd like to hear of anyone's dealings with Mr. Brown and landowner tags from him. It'd just be nice to have contact with someone else who has done business with him before we plunk down our hard earned cash for a tag somewhere based solely on the seller's review of a hunt opportunity.

Thanks!
My brothers and I bought Colorado deer vouchers from him in 2013. No problems at all. Seems like a good guy.

Phaseolus

WKR
Landowner vouchers can only change hands once. If these are not his own vouchers he can not legally transfer them to you.

I am surprised CPW continues to allow this. I know Hunter's Domain does the same thing. Is there a loophole that they use?

It looks like he lists the landowner names in the advertisement, so you'll probably be dealing with them for the purchase, as per Colorado law, not Ben Brown. I would not be so worried about reviews of him, but the landowner where your tag is good for. Just because you buy a voucher does not mean the property is worth a shit. I would find out the landowner and call the bio/warden for that area and get his thoughts.

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
In speaking with him, basically he doesn't actually do the transfer of the voucher, he communicates with the landowner all of a person's info and then the landowner mails it. He's basically the advertiser of it I guess.

Thanks for the responses all!

In speaking with him, basically he doesn't actually do the transfer of the voucher, he communicates with the landowner all of a person's info and then the landowner mails it. He's basically the advertiser of it I guess.

Thanks for the responses all!
Which is illegal in co.

Here's the rules from CPW's website.

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
I've spoken to a couple other folks who have gone the landowner voucher route in CO. They've been put in contact with landowners in a similiar fashion from other hunting agent type people. It's been a smooth process according to them. The key is that the voucher is going from landowner to the hunter, no signing it more than once, and I mean, the Colorado FWP isn't going to process if it has been signed more than once. Hence my request for the legitness of this individual since there's some trust that has to be put on him as the liaison with the landowner. My wife still hasn't decided she wants to pull the trigger and have us drop the coin yet as I had been waiting to hear back from this community

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No person shall broker a voucher on behalf of any landowner or person, or use or possess any brokered voucher. A voucher that has been transferred by any person who is not the landowner or designated land manger is VOID. A hunting license obtained for use with a void voucher is also VOID. (also see Definitions section for the definition of ‘Broker)

Broker: means for a third party to transfer a voucher for compensation for any other consideration, or otherwise arrange for such transfer, on behalf of the landowner, or land manager or on behalf of any individual.

A landowner or the designated land manager:
  • May advertise a voucher if;
  • Contact information must be listed for the landowner/designated land manager;
  • If a payment is required to place the advertisement:
    • Payment is a flat fee for the advertising;
    • Payment is NOT based upon the sale price;
    • Payment is NOT commission based;
    • Payment is NOT contingent upon the sale/transfer of the voucher.
  • If there is no advertising payment or fee:
    • No fee or commission can be paid contingent upon the sale of the voucher.
  • May NOT pay a referral fee for connecting a hunter and landowner/designated land manager together for the purposes of transferring a voucher.

I've spoken to a couple other folks who have gone the landowner voucher route in CO. They've been put in contact with landowners in a similiar fashion from other hunting agent type people. It's been a smooth process according to them. The key is that the voucher is going from landowner to the hunter, no signing it more than once, and I mean, the Colorado FWP isn't going to process if it has been signed more than once. Hence my request for the legitness of this individual since there's some trust that has to be put on him as the liaison with the landowner. My wife still hasn't decided she wants to pull the trigger and have us drop the coin yet as I had been waiting to hear back from this community
Got it. I could see how he might be in compliance if all he is doing is the advertising for the landowner. What I think is a gray area is where he is listed as the designated land manager for multiple tags. I have tough time believing he id doing that as a "favor". Either way good luck to you with your decision and hunt.