Hunting & Daily Driving Truck?

Hey, Rokslide!

I'm a FNG from Northern Utah and I'm in the market for a used pickup. I'm looking for something that I can use as a bad ass hunting truck AND a daily driver. I'm not wanting to spend more than 20K but I would feel most comfortable under 17K. I could potentially pay more but I would rather put money into gas than a steeper payment. I don't want a 3/4 ton because I absolutely cannot stand how rough they inherently are. And I also don't want a lease, this truck is going to get used and abused. I'm looking for a 1/2 ton or midsized truck. I want a truck and not an SUV so I can use the bed for stuff around the yard and what not. What do you guys have and what do you recommend? Do you put much thought into the "Off Road" packages that a lot of these trucks have, i.e., Z71, All Terrain, Pro-4X, TRD Pro/Offroad and more? Any information is appreciated, thanks!

mudcat81

FNG
KingKleven, I will be in the same boat as you next year. My family DD will be paid off and its my turn to upgrade my truck. I have always been a GM guy but will be looking at Toyota and possible Nissan next spring.
Wilderlife that is a super cool rig. If I could get away with a regular cab that would be on the list.

If I could build a square body suburban to get good mpg I would go that route and buy a trailer for the little bit of stuff I use my truck box for.

I would look at a Tundra. You’re not going to find a TRD Pro though. Those are ‘14 and up. I’m assuming you mean the TRD 4x4 though. I can say I’m glad I went with my TRD. Little better stick suspension but it’s previews for a lot of functions and options so you can easily just buy something and plug it in. I added stock backup camera and homelink mirror in less than and hour. Mine has gotten me through anything I’ve needed it to. Most reliable truck out there, has the awards, lol. Only bad thing, eats gas. I average around 14 mpg with a small lift and 35s. And, they hold there value. Has one of the largest cabins so tons of room. Yes I’m a little biased but I also like reliability, good value, room, and bulletproof. And well they just look awesome. Lol.

acb44579c6a090023c281fb89bb44ba7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2013 Silverado 1500. I got it in 2014 with about 10000 miles, I'm close to 100000 now and all I've had to do maintenance wise is replace the O2 sensors, a joint boot, and the belt pulleys (aside from oil change etc.). My buddies subsequently bought the same truck in 2016 and 2018.

The one fellow was looking hard at the tundra and opted for the Chevy.

I had thought I wanted a Tacoma, but after having a full sized bed that I can comfortably sleep in and store gear, I won't ever go smaller.

Tires I'm using are 275/65/18 and I definitely couldn't go any bigger without a lift. Currently I have Goodyear Wranglers, they're costing me a little fuel over my previous Michelins but the grip is much improved.

As a non-mechanical guy, the lack of major maintenance has been huge for me.

I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra double cab and absolutely love it. I think it's the perfect blend of usable bed length and comfortable seating in the back seat. I average 15 mpg around town and the 5.7 liter engine is bullet proof.

OP
KingKleven
I would look at a Tundra. You’re not going to find a TRD Pro though. Those are ‘14 and up. I’m assuming you mean the TRD 4x4 though. I can say I’m glad I went with my TRD. Little better stick suspension but it’s previews for a lot of functions and options so you can easily just buy something and plug it in. I added stock backup camera and homelink mirror in less than and hour. Mine has gotten me through anything I’ve needed it to. Most reliable truck out there, has the awards, lol. Only bad thing, eats gas. I average around 14 mpg with a small lift and 35s. And, they hold there value. Has one of the largest cabins so tons of room. Yes I’m a little biased but I also like reliability, good value, room, and bulletproof. And well they just look awesome. Lol.

acb44579c6a090023c281fb89bb44ba7.jpg

What year is yours? Do you know if Tundras have the same frame rusting problem that Tacomas have? That's a sharp truck, man!

What year is yours? Do you know if Tundras have the same frame rusting problem that Tacomas have? That's a sharp truck, man!

Mine is a 2011. It’s got like 105k miles on it though. I have only done regular maintenance on it besides the upgrades I did to it. I have had no rust issues.

I was always loyal to GM until they screwed me out of a new motor that should have been covered under warranty. 2013 - older GM trucks are notorious for burning oil, so I would steer clear of that model year range. Not saying that all of them are bad, but the chance is there. Mine didn't start until I hit about 55,000 miles.

Recently sold that truck and I'll be buying a 2019 Tundra this week. In your price range, I'd look real hard at an older Tacoma or low mileage Tundra.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 02 Tundra with 210K, rebuilt the front end last year, no major problems yet. Hope to take it to 300K. Wife has an 05 4 runner with 220K no work done except brakes, plugs etc. Would love to have a lancruiser but they're getting pricier around here, well, all the older Toyotas are.

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 'Outdoorsman' and love it. Just got back from a week in Colorado with it. Has a topper so handles all my gear as well as enough room to sleep in back. Averaged 17.5 mpg from Wisconsin.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
F150 with FX4 package that has e-locker is a good choice. Honestly the 5.0 or 3.5EB would fit the bill, depending on your preferences. My brother, dad, and myself all have the 3.5EB with no issues.

F150 with FX4 package that has e-locker is a good choice. Honestly the 5.0 or 3.5EB would fit the bill, depending on your preferences. My brother, dad, and myself all have the 3.5EB with no issues.

This one keeps pulling at me for my next consideration. It keeps its resale value pretty well, but it’s a dang Ford. Yea it has a lot of features but it’s features I truly don’t NEED. Just nice to haves. Keep thinking diesel maybe one day especially since price of diesel around where I live is pretty much the same and sometimes lower than gas. That will happen maybe when I get a 5th wheel or travel trailer.

I was always loyal to GM until they screwed me out of a new motor that should have been covered under warranty. 2013 - older GM trucks are notorious for burning oil, so I would steer clear of that model year range. Not saying that all of them are bad, but the chance is there. Mine didn't start until I hit about 55,000 miles.

Recently sold that truck and I'll be buying a 2019 Tundra this week. In your price range, I'd look real hard at an older Tacoma or low mileage Tundra.

You are 100% correct about GM. I had a 2007 Yukon XL with the 5.3 engine. It started to use 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles once i hit 36k. I brought it in a bunch of times to the dealer and they said GM says that was normal oil consumption. Which is complete BS! The 2007 -2009 models were so bad that GM doesn't offer a replacement crate engine for those years. I traded it in in 2016 for my 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and couldn't be happier with my truck. I get 16-17 mpg local. I just did a 4300 mile trip from NJ to Colorado and back for an elk hunt and averaged 21.3 mpg and have gotten up to 25 mpg on flatter slower speed trips. The best the Yukon ever got hwy was 18 and usually 14.5 local.

Last edited:
OP
KingKleven
Do you guys think the size of a full sized truck is a disadvantage to a midsized truck? Being length and width. When I get a new truck, I'm not going to do anything crazy to it. Maybe a little lift or leveling kit and a little bit beefier tires. I don't plan on going "wheeling" because it's going to be my daily driver and things break when you do that. But something that can go up some pretty nasty trails.

Do you guys think the size of a full sized truck is a disadvantage to a midsized truck? Being length and width. When I get a new truck, I'm not going to do anything crazy to it. Maybe a little lift or leveling kit and a little bit beefier tires. I don't plan on going "wheeling" because it's going to be my daily driver and things break when you do that. But something that can go up some pretty nasty trails.

Personally I don’t see any advantage of a smaller truck except if you plan on off-roading it on tight trails or rock climbing. They can’t carry as much are not as comfortable due to the shorter wheel base and from what I have seen on the daily driver mpg thread many don’t get even close to the MPG that my Ram is getting.

Last edited:

If it’s all you need then don’t see why not. However I wouldn’t get anything other than a Tacoma and they are nearly as expensive as a damn Tundra, but hold value better lol. Go figure. Can go anywhere you want it to though for the most part. I grew up in country in Louisiana. As you can imagine our parting was in pasture fields mid riding etc. (typical red neck stuff you know). I watched many a 2wd Tacoma’s pull out big full size overcompensating trucks that were stuck and did it with easy.

JWP58

WKR
Nissan Frontiers are a good value for what you get. Tacoma's are nicer but cost more (creature comforts, the powertrain in both are gtg). Having a locker is nice too.