Hunting Efficiently with RedKettle, give a welcome & win!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
got mine in the mountains for four days and way more miles. Loving it! I can pull it off a cross-shoulder carry without ripping my hat off or tangling up in the binos. Ia reel on my IG page (robbydenning) soon with a demo, or there's a YouTube video here Here's a few pics to demo:
c795748fc588704747d00e3736a86090.jpg

cross carry with pack off

f453299c26267eb617cb61361e14c0aa.jpg

cross carry with pack on

dd9cb5504496709bcb09287bd0b6ba1f.jpg

Sling in carry mode (with buckle clasped)

dfe0a247e333b69751f0a46e34ac6565.jpg

Sling in "get this gun off me quick" mode (btw, the buckle is magnetized, so it comes together quickly & easily.)

ac704570810efdc83bd1d23bec94b836.jpg

The extra length in carry mode can be easily stored under the elastic band, but honestly, I didn't always do it up and it didn't really get in the way, but it's there if you need it.

b38df21a3d10d8c4c1b5e23a6d711446.jpg

one critique, the tagline you pull is pretty short and works for fingers, but with gloves takes a little more work. A longer tagline would be better.

Other than that, good sling!

I’ll be wearing this all season, odds are.

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
got mine in the mountains for four days and way more miles. Loving it! I can pull it off a cross-shoulder carry without ripping my hat off or tangling up in the binos. I'll have a reel on my IG page (robbydenning) soon with a demo (TT took away our option for short vids and YT is a pain for vids less than a minute) Here's a few pics to demo:

cross carry with pack on

Sling in "get this gun off me quick" mode (btw, the buckle is magnetized, so it comes together quickly & easily.)

The extra length in carry mode can be easily stored under the elastic band, but honestly, I didn't always do it up and it didn't really get in the way, but it's there if you need it.

one critique, the tagline you pull is pretty short and works for fingers, but with gloves takes a little more work. A longer tagline would be better.

@robby denning If the tag line was longer do you think it would get caught up on things and detach when you didn't intend for it to? Also looks like you could replace it with your own at any length you like with some small diameter paracord.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning If the tag line was longer do you think it would get caught up on things and detach when you didn't intend for it to? Also looks like you could replace it with your own at any length you like with some small diameter paracord.
I think it could be twice as long without interference.

Good idea, may have to swap out by the time I get to later rifle hunts.

7x64

FNG
got mine in the mountains for four days and way more miles. Loving it! I can pull it off a cross-shoulder carry without ripping my hat off or tangling up in the binos. I'll have a reel on my IG page (robbydenning) soon with a demo (TT took away our option for short vids and YT is a pain for vids less than a minute) Here's a few pics to demo:

cross carry with pack on

Hi @robby denning

Thanks for the review, I'm pleased to hear you like the sling.

Your input is noted.

Robby,
is there enough length in the sling when opened up fully to wrap it around elbow for off hand shooting support like a leather Latigo sling?
What is the weight of the sling?
Where are they made?
Looked on web site but it did not have these specs listed.

Last edited:
I received mine awhile back. I'm really impressed with the latch/release buckle, and how easily it re attaches, it just snaps back on via magnet.

Other then that we have been on archery as well. Should be hitting the field with it here in Oct and especially Nov.
@7x64 haven't forgot about your generosity in the give away and it is in my mind to put this to some hard use and get back to ya.
The fact I'm even considering using it over the claw sling says something.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,
is there enough length in the sling when opened up fully to wrap it around elbow for off hand shooting support like a leather Latigo sling?
Where are they made?
Hi
-plenty of length and some to wrap my elbow
-don’t know the weight (@7x64 ?)
-Vietnam

7x64

FNG
Robby,
Where are they made?
Hi @Dust Rider

You can extend the sling with the ladder lock buckle to get enough length to use it as a hasty sling. But the extension loop is a little on the short side to be used like a traditional shooting sling (M1907 style). Based on a quick Google search it looks like that's what you mean. Is that right?

That's something we've been pondering, and I have played around with a few prototypes. European hunters haven't requested this type of feature, so we haven't moved forward with it for now.

The sling weighs 104 grams with is about 3.7 oz.

The slings are sewn in Vietnam. We source high-quality components from Asian and European companies. I used to sew the slings myself, but couldn't keep up. And after countless issues with UK factories, we had to bite the bullet and move production overseas. Our factory works to very high standards and I'm not concerned about the quality of their work. We have started to look at US manufacturing, but that's a move that requires proper due diligence and will take some time.

I'm sorry if this info was unavailable. I'll make sure we link to our support articles, and we'll add weight to the description.

7x64

FNG
@robby denning Great review, no complaints.

Suggestion: I would love to see a review of a sling designed from the start as a hunting sling rather than reviews I see focused on AR slings..
Hi there @Unckebob

Thanks for your comments. I want to be sure I understand what you mean, do you mind elaborating?

FYI, I designed this sling for bolt-action hunting rifles. It's easier to find a unicorn than an AR around here, so that platform has never been on our radar.

Thanks in advance for your help/input.

All the best.

7x64

FNG
I received mine awhile back. I'm really impressed with the latch/release buckle, and how easily it re attaches, it just snaps back on via magnet.

Other then that we have been on archery as well. Should be hitting the field with it here in Oct and especially Nov.
@7x64 haven't forgot about your generosity in the give away and it is in my mind to put this to some hard use and get back to ya.
The fact I'm even considering using it over the claw sling says something.
Hi @BRTreedogs . I'm sorry for my late reply. I'm pleased to hear you're impressed with the buckle and sling. Please do put it to hard use. Hope your archery hunting went well!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update on this review…

I broke the sling!

Actually it was the QR on the buckle.

I was seated on the ground (think expanded ribcage) on a cold morning and still had my daypack on over a FL Jacket, so I was “bigger” than usual. The sling was cross-shoulder. I decided I wanted to take it off but didn’t want to (too lazy) stand back up. I leaned forward a bit and pulled the QR cord. It didn’t release as usual so I gave it a very hard jerk. I heard a pop and a saw something black land on the ground. It was the metal part of the QR buckle.

I examined the buckle and could see that I sheared off the tabs that hold the metal in place (see below)

3180BCDE-53B6-4C94-8867-31F8AC82EBEC.jpeg
I reinstalled the metal but I’d sheared too much off the tabs for it to function. So that’s the bad news.

The good news is I was still able to finish out the hunt (and go on two more in the next few weeks.). This is because if the QR fails, the sling becomes a normal sling (the kind that pulls your hat off and tangles up in the binos when you pull it from a cross-shoulder carry). You can still operate the QR buckles, it just takes two hands.

I emailed RedKettle and they sent me another sling. This is what he ( @7x64 ) said back:

You’re the first user who has managed to break a sling since we launched them in 2019!

Jokes aside, this is not something we want to happen. The buckle is of high quality and rated for a static breaking load of 686 Newton or 70 kg. Which is about 154 lbs.

That’s straight pull in the direction of intended use. So if you pulled at an angle it is the resistance would have been lower.

Some customers have suggested that we make the sling in two pieces, but I wanted it to be single piece as a worst case scenario fall-back.

I suppose a lawyer would argue this kind of thing falls under user error, but that’s not the way I see it. Any customers in the same situation would get a free replacement.

We’ve even replaced a sling for professional hunter who’d worn his firs sling out after daily use over a couple of years.

I’ll get the new one installed an then onward and upaward.

Last edited: