Hunting Elk & Deer - Same Season?

As a NR, absolutely. Have eaten a few tags but have also doubled up as well (bear included too). For the amount of time & money that goes into the whole trip I'd hate to come across a nice one & not have a tag

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Not what you asked but I doubled up with a bear and a moose in September last year in Idaho. I'd always pick up as many tags as I can. So much time/money in it just getting there another few hundred bucks is worth it to me.

Steelhead

FNG
On an opportunistic level, yes. Main focus is elk but if deer are open in the same zone, same time and I happen across one I will definitely bring it along home. But the target is elk. I suppose if I was hunting a specific or trophy buck it would be different, but I'll definitely help fill the freezer with a deer.

I separate as well, so I can spend more time in the mountains and break the season up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first Elk Hunt in 2009 was a Combination Elk /Mule Deer Hunt and It was a life changing event.
I would absolutely do it again.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I’m finishing up my medical residency this year, so hoping to end up with more time soon. For the past 8 years, I’ve basically only had enough time for one trip back west per season, so I usually time my trip to allow for overlap between the elk and deer season. I focused on archery elk the past 3 seasons and really enjoyed it, but I’ve definitely missed rifle deer.

This season will be rifle elk and deer, can’t wait!

Mt seasons have always included both elk and deer. It was truely bragging rights to get both an elk and a deer on the same day. In the early 80s I killed a nice whitetail buck in one drainage and shot a 6x7 bull on the way back to camp. Sadly enough, I never did it again.

It makes the days more interesting as the number of animals you see increases or did when western montana had deer.

tuk

FNG
I try to hunt all seasons when i can. In wa the seasons don’t over lap.

Holski

FNG
Before I started archery hunting, I always hunted both tags 3rd rifle in Colorado. When I was younger my dad didn’t get much time off work so it was best to try both in the same week. I filled both tags multiple times and on the few years I was only able to fill one, I was glad I had both tags in my pocket.

BuzzH

WKR
Montana has been that way for a long time, my family and I have taken advantage of being able to hunt both elk and deer at the same time.

I killed this buck while tracking some elk:

buzzwt1.JPG

Took the deer back to camp, got back on the tracks and shot this elk:

buzzelk3.JPG

My brother killed this buck one day right away in the morning.

212.JPG

Took care of the deer, each carrying half in our packs and hunted back toward the truck. Bumped a small knot of elk and my brother filled his elk tag:

221.JPG

Season before last, took my 13 year old nephew out on a really good morning. He shot this buck about 9 AM:

IMG_20201118_092023634_HDR.jpg

While walking up to get his deer, we cut 8-10 really fresh elk tracks. Took care of the deer and decided to track the elk and see if we could get one. A couple hours later, we caught them and my nephew filled his elk tag with a nice shot at 368 yards with my late grandfather's .243:

IMG_20201118_141401707.jpg

Our single best day was opening day in 1985, 5 point bull, spike bull, 2 3x3 mule deer, and a 4x3 mule deer by noon 5 of us hunting:

buzzelk12.JPG

DanimalW

WKR
Elk/deer big game combo cost me $1,300 as a MT NR last fall. In the Bob, the muleys and elk frequented the same areas during early rifle season (9/15-9/22). However, bulls were the priority. We often saw does while calling for bulls, but it was bull/buck only in the unit so we had to pass. We did go after one trophy buck a guy spotted in the dark timber on the way to our glassing spot, but he disappeared.

As a NR, to maximize my opportunity of taking an animal home, I would always recommend buying tags for animals in season and in the same areas. I had a bear tag with me as well, but we never got a shot at one.
I would think about the combo tag if I struck out archery season for elk, and thought about coming back later for deer with the rifle. But I could not stomach punching a $1300 tag on a deer if there was still time left to elk hunt. That’s just me though.

Because of the deer season with elk season, i have to admit I have never hunted deer. I just shot them as I stumbled into them.

velvetfvr

WKR
In the home state of nevada, I only focus on 1 species at a time in a specific unit. This year thou in montana I will at least have a general elk and general deer tag, or a general deer tag and a LE elk permit. Plan will be to chase elk but if a buck is spotted in a good spot, I would not hesitate trying to get an arrow in him

I have done it twice and never gotten both. In 2108, I was stalking a big buck when I spotted a massive rack of antlers standing still in the tree line 75 yards away. Ended up taking the biggest elk I've ever shot.

Last year, I also had deer and elk tags. Ended up mostly pursuing elk and was successful on a 6x5, but never saw a trophy buck worthy of taking.

For NRs, it's expensive to get both tags and I would recommend focusing on one or the other since it's usually different terrain and habitat where the elk and deer are in the GMU that I hunt.

Overdrive

WKR
Use to hunt separate so I could hunt Elk and Mulies in the rut, different seasons obviously.

Now I enjoy one season chasing rutting Mulies and finding lazy Bull's fattening up for winter.

We are looking at a potential Muley rifle hunt in a few years. I could justify an OTC elk tag after drawing that deer tag to cover the bases as I feel the elk will be in the same area. We opted not to draw the Muley tag for early archery while we are chasing bugles this September. Hopefully we don't run into any bucks in the early season......