Hunting elk in the rut with a rifle

oldgoat

WKR
Big Nope! Once they start letting people hunt them and they regain respect for man, maybe, but I still wouldn't do it with a rifle unless I can't pull a bow back anymore.

Scoot

WKR
No. I'm a bowhunter and I don't care to gun hunt for big game. However, if you're a rifle guy, or an any weapon guy, do it! You're about 100 times more likely (or more) to die in a car accident on the way to the hunt than to be killed by a grizzly... If I remember right you're also about 30 times more likely to die of a lightening strike than a bear attack. People worry about things that are big, bad and ugly, but really aren't very likely to cause you problems.

Be smart and keep a clean camp. You'll be fine. Or... lightening will strike you and you'll die. Either way, the bears aren't even remotely close to your biggest concern. :)

Last edited:

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
yes-chances are pretty slim you would have an encounter

I'd double check your sources before being too sure about that. I've been considering pulling a tag in NW Wyoming for a few years now and most of the guys I've talked to about those hunts in that area have said they've had some sort of encounter. Clearly not all of them were physically encountered, but if you go about believing your chances are pretty slim, I'd bet your actual chances go way up. A friend of my hunting partner actually got mauled about 4 years ago even though he was taking every precaution possible.

Ntgm37

Lil-Rokslider
The bottom line is that if they want to attack you, they will. You should be packing a pistol with you if you are hunting where Bears are. I haven't been on a hunt yet where I haven't been within 100 yards of a grizzly, but where I live, this is the way of things. Most of the time they are curious, but mostly afraid so they stay away. The Wolves are starting to become the real problem.

I spent several years working Yellowstone Park when I was younger. I wasn't there for the job. Spent every weekend in the backcountry and never carried a gun. (Not bragging, just didn't) I also had many co workers that spent lots of time in the backcountry. During my time in the park I saw countless grizzlies from the road. Over many nights in tents and many trail miles I only once saw a grizzly in the backcountry and although I had friends that saw more, not one of us was eaten. I know this story is purely antidotal but with good camp practices the odds are in your favor. I think 😳

Yes, I usually do...to answer the question. Grizzly numbers aren't that high and IMO not as big of a deal as folks make them out to be. I live I grizzly country and I really don't see that many. It all depends on The area though. I see more some places vs others. Don't you carry a side arm while hunting? I normally hunt with a rifle, but I always have a revolver strapped to my chest....always. You never know.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
I live in BC - bears are everywhere, be it black or grizz and starting sept 9th we can hunt elk with whatever weapon we want.

Just be a good camper, learn how to live with bears and how to keep bears away. Also, can't carry handguns up here and bear attacks are pretty rare...

Ian

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I would if I had someone hunting with me but personally I wouldn't do it alone, grizzlies get my heart rate up and I'd be lookin for them behind every tree if I was by myself.

nphunter

WKR
Those numbers are super skewed because 99% of the population doesn't spend time in bear country. The odds go way up for the people who are in bear country vs attacks. Also more rifle hunters are attacked than bow hunters. I personally would rather hunt in bear country with a rifle vs bow. Like the OP I would also be afraid of Grizzlies, possibly to the point to where I wouldn't enjoy the hunt. Probably watched too many scary movies growing up? We had 8 wolves come into our camp at night in the Frank church which weren't the slightest bit scared of us. Have some recordings of them howling which is a pretty Unnerving sound. It made walking 100 yards in the dark to the crapper pretty freaky:) I just got done using the crapper a few minutes before we saw the wolves so they were probably out there not too far from me when I was taking care of business.

No. I'm a bowhunter and I don't care to gun hunt for big game. However, if you're a rifle guy, or an any weapon guy, do it! You're about 100 times more likely (or more) to die in a car accident on the way to the hunt than to be killed by a grizzly... If I remember right you're also about 30 times more likely to die of a lightening strike than a bear attack. People worry about things that are big, bad and ugly, but really aren't very likely to cause you problems.

Be smart and keep a clean camp. You'll be fine. Or... lightening will strike you and you'll die. Either way, the bears aren't even remotely close to your biggest concern. :)

Last edited:
Now wolves are another story. They are getting pretty brave....I will give you that. I still don't let it ruin my good time though.

AdamW

WKR
Yes, next question.

Strict food and smell good management well away from camp. Bear spray. Pay attention.