Hunting elk in the rut with a rifle

JWP58

WKR
If you had the chance to hunt elk in the rut with a rifle, but had to deal with grizzlies to do it, would you?

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I hunt them with a bow during the rut in prime grizzly country. If allowed a rifle, I would do the same thing.

If this is a yes, no question, then yes I would. But I get the feeling your after a but more, I'm just unsure of what.

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
If this is a yes, no question, then yes I would. But I get the feeling your after a but more, I'm just unsure of what.

Nope, not really. Just trying to figure out if the allure of hunting rutting elk with a rifle in grizzly country is worth it.

ElkNut1

WKR
So what you're saying is you have a deathly fear of Grizzlies. Only you can answer that question, no one can do that for you.

ElkNut1

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
So what you're saying is you have a deathly fear of Grizzlies. Only you can answer that question, no one can do that for you.

ElkNut1

Not a deathly fear, but I can hunt with a bow in non grizz country during the rut. Kinda just wondering if it's worth the headache.

No reason to be a douche.

Absolutely, I'll be hunting elk, post rut, this year in grizzly country. So I would definitely do it during the rut.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
yes-chances are pretty slim you would have an encounter- and you have the gun, you have the gun! I wouldn't be the decoy- meaning bugling - no use drawing attention to the bears if your really worried about it.

204guy

WKR
If you have to ask the answer is probably no. The simple fact is hunting with the big bears around is not for everyone, if you won't enjoy yourself, hunt somewhere you will enjoy yourself.

If you have an elk rifle why worry about grizzlies? Keep your camp clean, eyes open for them, give them their space, and you should be just fine.

When you look out of your wall tent at 0200 hours and see beady eyes peering back at you, the 10 feet to your elk rifle can seem like a very long ways. That said, the only time we had issues with Mr. Longtoes, it was 100% our fault. A clean camp serves one well.

When you look out of your wall tent at 0200 hours and see beady eyes peering back at you, the 10 feet to your elk rifle can seem like a very long ways.
Can't say I've ever slept with my rifle that far away. Mine stays in the tent mainly to keep it out of the elements and partly to deal with the 0200 cook tent canvas shredders.