Hunting etiquette?

Rich M

WKR
IMO, the only thing you did wrong was tell the old man about the shot and seeing elk. For them to move in was crappy, especially since you said you were coming back. Seems like they camp in the middle of the road to monitor what happens around there. Then move in once they get intel.

Waving someone off at 800 yards? LoL! That's funny stuff.

Phaseolus

WKR
So I defiled him for no good reason? We were stopped by wildlife, but that was before we killed. I've made it a point to stay on their good side. So many rules out West, and they seem to change from unit to unit.
The rules for eos don’t change unit by unit

Mojave

WKR
The bottom line is it is public land. There is nothing from keeping them from doing it.

I can tell you I have had a couple of guided hunts on huge ranches. The experience is the best in can be.

Public land even with a OIL tag is still public.

OP
C
The rules for eos don’t change unit by unit
Not saying EoS, it access mostly. Just a lot of details, but that's what keeps me engaged throughout the year. Research and planning. Lots of calls and questions too.

When EoS was explained to me, by an agent, they just said some part of the reproductive organs or utters on the quarters. I honestly never asked about the tag. Just assumed. Even when you think you've covered everything, you usually haven't.

Like this year, spare everything, I thought. Except key fob battery, and what happens as soon as I get on the mountain? "Key fob battery low, Replace soon" message...back down the mountain. 4hours and 3 stores later...back up the mountain.

OP
C
IMO, the only thing you did wrong was tell the old man about the shot and seeing elk. For them to move in was crappy, especially since you said you were coming back. Seems like they camp in the middle of the road to monitor what happens around there. Then move in once they get intel.

Waving someone off at 800 yards? LoL! That's funny stuff.
That's absolutely what they do. He knew where I was from, not hard with the license plate and LSU hat I wear, but he knew what times I came and went, where I parked, especially as I moved to access better entry points, and when I left late. When we shot, it was more of an accusation than a question. He did everything but jump into the bed of my truck the day after we killed.

I'm either going to spread the BS so thick next year that I totally confuse them, or just get everyone wasted the night before the season. I'd rather make friends than enemies, but I'm not about to be bullied by some old dude with a pissy attitude.

I'm not sure who it is, but one guy has a side by side with seats and a shooting rail on top of the cab...but there's elk in tha area. And these guys really help eliminate a lot of potential ground with their repetitive high pressure tactics. I just need to find a better (polite) way of dealing with them.

Last edited:
Sounds like all good. 800 yards is almost 1/2 a mile - granted an elite hunter like Cam Hanes or Snyder can cover that in 2 minutes.

I like the bear hunting, brush shots and sound shots. 100% dding those to the repertoire for next season. I've used coyote in the past but I like the idea of putting a little fear in their hearts.
Might have to incorporate touching off a couple shots in areas where there's no game just to draw a few guys in there. Call it the bait n switch or something.

Rich M

WKR
That's absolutely what they do. He knew where I was from, not hard with the license plate and LSU hat I wear, but he knew what times I came and went, where I parked, especially as I moved to access better entry points, and when I left late. When we shot, it was more of an accusation than a question. He did everything but jump into the bed of my truck the day after we killed.

I'm either going to spread the BS so thick next year that I totally confuse them, or just get everyone wasted the night before the season. I'd rather make friends than enemies, but I'm not about to be bullied by some old dude with a pissy attitude.

I'm not sure who it is, but one guy has a side by side with seats and a shooting rail on top of the cab...but there's elk in tha area. And these guys really help eliminate a lot of potential ground with their repetitive high pressure tactics. I just need to find a better (polite) way of dealing with them.

Don't let it bother you too much.

Just go in there with an I'm gonna BS kind of attitude - just start talking or complaining about something and don't let up. They'll label you as crazy. Maybe you carry on about coyotes and how you hate coyotes - that gives a shot or two worth of misses.

You can also do the lead em elsewhere with where you park and fire a shot off in that direction.

Also don't let em see the can if you get it in time.

Lastly - go thru your scope system - lok-tite everything and make sure it is solid for the bump or two they get in the field. You want every shot to land where you are aiming.

It never ceases to amaze me how we can all have different opinions. We all think the answer to a question is a no brainer and then we see half the people with the opposite answer.

I for one cannot fathom anyone telling this guy he was unethical. He had previously hunted the area. He went back. Regardless of when another hunter arrives at the spot he would not even be there if the first guy hadn’t said anything. But beyond that the OP might not own or have any rights to the spot but certainly nobody else does either.

I’ll agree with Marble: If I know someone is going to an area I’ll hunt somewhere else. But if I invest time and effort to be somewhere at first light and someone else is around it won’t change my plans. I’m not going to sit close to them. I’ll make an adjustment so we have some breathing room but I’m not bailing out on my plan for the day.

If the other hunter was there because he knew I was into elk or because I shot I can tell you he won’t be getting much respect. Instead my goal would be to drop one right next to him. Yeah…. telling him would have been my mistake but intentionally hunting on top of me like that would be his!

go_deep

WKR
I can't help myself.
What I find interesting about threads like this is there no way to honestly come to any real conclusion. We only get one side of the story, it's not like it's a courtroom and you get to hear what both parties involved actually have to say.

Had the OP verified zero after he dropped his rifle, then killed the bull the first time, he's not there the second day and none of this ever happens.

OP
C
I can't help myself.
What I find interesting about threads like this is there no way to honestly come to any real conclusion. We only get one side of the story, it's not like it's a courtroom and you get to hear what both parties involved actually have to say.

Had the OP verified zero after he dropped his rifle, then killed the bull the first time, he's not there the second day and none of this ever happens.
I didn't drop it, my son did. We were seeing a lot of fresh sign and in thicker cover, so I had him take it off his pack. He stopped to re-tie his boot and the limb he leaned it against broke. I didn't actually see the drop, rather caught him picking up the gun. He said it wasn't much of a bump, and I took his word for it. I do ride his butt pretty hard on hunts because I'm big on self reliance and accountability. I would understand if he wanted to avoid a butt chewing. It's not like I knew the gun was off. We confirmed zero 2 days prior to leaving and he took several shots at 300. He was the intended shooter until we encountered the ranges we did. Given 3 misses, we backed out and checked zero, we were almost 5" low left at 100. I could have shot at the other 2 bulls that we saw that same evening, but I was aware something, possibly myself, was off.

OP
C
I personally hate it when non residents hunt the same area I do because they blab about everything they see. Nobody did anything wrong other than the OP telling them he shot at animals and where he shot at them.
My sincere apologies for not living in the appropriate area. Here I was wondering if 800yds was too close, and it was the previous 1600 miles that was the problem.

The guy knew where I was parked and had a pretty good idea of where I was hunting from the shot. We had spoken the previous days and I told them we were elk hunting. Just casual conversation. I didn't realize he was gathering intel. If I would have told him exactly where I was, no doubt that's exactly where the guy would have been the next day. He missed the mark, and for some reason left early.

I was just bouncing the event off people on here to see if others had similar experiences and maybe figure out a solution. I'm definitely gonna be bear hunting from here on out. Waiting on a suppressor, and will most likely do some random target practicing when I'm in the area next year. Hopefully I can avoid a recurrence.

I hate when locals hunt where I hunt because they don’t take it as seriously as non res hunters who spend so much money and drive so far to pay their bills. There I am being patient looking for a good bull and they’re running around like a young mindless bird dog blowing elk out looking for a cow. They actually try putting on drives on opening day where I hunt trying to fill the freezer pushing perfectly relaxed elk into heavy cover. I make every day count but to them tomorrow is another day so oh well.

Half kidding half not. I don’t care where anyone hunts but they actually do that every year and we just shake our heads. Fortunately they give up and leave and eventually the elk calm down.

I hate when locals hunt where I hunt because they don’t take it as seriously as non res hunters who spend so much money and drive so far to pay their bills. There I am being patient looking for a good bull and they’re running around like a young mindless bird dog blowing elk out looking for a cow. They actually try putting on drives on opening day where I hunt trying to fill the freezer pushing perfectly relaxed elk into heavy cover. I make every day count but to them tomorrow is another day so oh well.

Half kidding half not. I don’t care where anyone hunts but they actually do that every year and we just shake our heads. Fortunately they give up and leave and eventually the elk calm down.
Valid point - I know this happens as well.

OP
C

I grew up just north of Venice LA. I know how much of a PiTA out of towners can be. So I try to remain considerate of others. Same thing happens with fishing and waterfowl hunting.

There's ways to deal with people without being a jerk. If that's a possibility, that's what I'm doing.

Two incidents that I've dealt with in the past. Had a guy in our duck blind on opening trying to kick us off of my friends property. Eventually he says he didn't know that the blind was for anyone. Like there's wild duck blinds just popping out the marsh.

Another time, we're spearfishing at an oil rig in the gulf, and another boat pulls up and immediately drops 6 or so lines with multiple hooks over. Chumming and everything. Buddy of mine was nearly snagged. We had our flag up and people in the boat telling them that there was diver's down.

I've dealt with jerks.

Last edited:

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t believe this thread is still going. You should have walked right up to him patted him on the back and started setting up your tripod.

Unckebob

WKR
I personally hate it when non residents hunt the same area I do because they blab about everything they see. Nobody did anything wrong other than the OP telling them he shot at animals and where he shot at them.

1) If they put a nail in his tire, that was certainly wrong.
2) OP was wrong for telling his spot to someone he didn't know unless he was done hunting there.