Hunting expo. Carbon barrels

Dcrafton

WKR
While at the expo in SLC, many many firearms from custom to the big names.
Stop at one booth and they convince you that they use Helix 6 barrels because they are the best. Then you stop at a booth 20’ away and they use Proof and they are the best. Another 50’ away they fit their rifles with carbon six because they are the best. Then Christensen says they are better. But Weatherby uses BSF because there engineers found that they are the best but Fierce disagrees because they own the best.
Holy crap !!$!&
I only have experience with Proof Research and I have no complaints.
Who out there has had experience with some of these manufacturers as I am always looking at my next build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
My Christensen Carbon Classic has been terrific! But, for some reason, it appears they dont make the classic now. I guess the ridgeline uses the same barrel i assume.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I dig my two barrels from carbon6. I think they’re all about a horse a piece.

I did have a CA AR15 barrel in .204 I actually sent back to them. Wouldn’t feed from any of 7 different brands of mags and when I could get it to feed some burs would scratch my brass bad in 2 spots. They gave me my money back after a steady correspondence.

Attachments

• 2D5F509A-BF79-4D81-A409-0FA25F363C28.jpeg
    2D5F509A-BF79-4D81-A409-0FA25F363C28.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 105
I own several proofs and one carbon six. I’ve heard carbon six are hit and miss but the one I own hammers. Never had any issues w proof, they’ve all shot very well.

khuber84

WKR
I have several proofs, they've all been good, few guys I knew as of recent have had issues with undersized bores with proof. They produce SO many barrels now, that nothing is hand lapped. Everything is automated and qc has been reduced. I own a couple hells canyon which have been great as well. I recently went out on an edge and purchased a Stand Alone carbon barrel, blank cost same as a standard brux or bartlein. Had it chambered/threaded/muzzle cut for my Tikka in 6.5 prc. Price was 600$ for the prefit. It will arrive today for inspection, I have hopes it'll be a shooter but we will see. Here's a photo below.

Attachments

• received_3289622717732829.jpeg
    received_3289622717732829.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 119
Everyone has jumped on the carbon barrel train. Pretty soon they will no longer be cool and it will be onto the next, that or steel barrels will be cool again.

Onstep

FNG
I saw the same thing at the show. Everyone who owns a lathe and has a UPS account builds a rifle. It’s like the OCC Chopper collection of the rifle world.
As far as whose carbon barrel is better I think it depends more on the plumber putting it on the action than the pipe it self.

tdhanses

WKR
And the answer, they are all good, I like my proof and carbon six, I’m sure the others are just as good.

Proof has been the lead for quite some time.
Not saying others cant build something as good or better. But why try? To save a few hundred?

tdhanses

WKR
Proof has been the lead for quite some time.
Not saying others cant build something as good or better. But why try? To save a few hundred?
Really their all priced very similar, got my last proof for the same price as carbon six.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've got a couple hells canyon armory barrels. Mike could speak to it better but from a rigidity stand point his barrels are much stronger than proof. He has done quite a bit of testing.

mlob1one

WKR
I've had exceptional success with Christensen and Proof.
Fierce has been difficult in the extreme.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Carbon would be neat if it would allow barrel manufactures to turn down the blank below minimum spec.

to be fair I’m pretty sure minimum spec is based on a fairly antiquated steel properties but no one seems real keen to further research and develop that train of thought.

Think about it.. carbon barrels are basically only going to the hunting market. That says something. The same group of people that can be milked for 30% upcharge just for camo.

jus sayin.

Lots of discussion over the years on this topic. Couple of undisputed facts:

1. You can put the strongest/lightest/most bestest carbon fiber over a crappy core and it will still shoot like crap.
2. You can put the weakest/heaviest/most insulating carbon fiber over a quality core and it will still shoot pretty decent.

HCA's goal is to use the best cores money can buy, and put the best wrap we can over the top of it.

If you look at the composites industry, Nobody filament winds carbon fiber when increasing strength/rigidity is the goal. Look at your carbon arrows, carbon fiber auto drive shafts, boat oars, tripod legs...etc In those applications, parallel fiber orientation is used because it maximizes fiber strength and rigidity. Filament winding uses nearly double the resin content, and is used in applications where controlling pressure is the main goal, not increasing rigidity. Also with filament winding machines you have a giant production volume advantage.

Look at this video from PROOF. Forward to timestamp 3:15 seconds... Look at that GIANT barrel whip....

With that said, I've chambered a few Proofs and they've shot just fine. Barrel whip isn't a huge factor but it IS a factor. It typically needs to be tuned with charge weight to a consistent node. All barrels are subject to that same factor. Whether it's an all steel barrel or not.

Mike @ HCA

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
Lots of discussion over the years on this topic. Couple of undisputed facts:

1. You can put the strongest/lightest/most bestest carbon fiber over a crappy core and it will still shoot like crap.
2. You can put the weakest/heaviest/most insulating carbon fiber over a quality core and it will still shoot pretty decent.

HCA's goal is to use the best cores money can buy, and put the best wrap we can over the top of it.

If you look at the composites industry, Nobody filament winds carbon fiber when increasing strength/rigidity is the goal. Look at your carbon arrows, carbon fiber auto drive shafts, boat oars, tripod legs...etc In those applications, parallel fiber orientation is used because it maximizes fiber strength and rigidity. Filament winding uses nearly double the resin content, and is used in applications where controlling pressure is the main goal, not increasing rigidity. Also with filament winding machines you have a giant production volume advantage.

Look at this video from PROOF. Forward to timestamp 3:15 seconds... Look at that GIANT barrel whip....

With that said, I've chambered a few Proofs and they've shot just fine. Barrel whip isn't a huge factor but it IS a factor. It typically needs to be tuned with charge weight to a consistent node. All barrels are subject to that same factor. Whether it's an all steel barrel or not.

Mike @ HCA

You gave me another one to look at but you also proved my point, ours is better that their stuff.
I have no experience or know anyone that has experience with HCA. I will do some research before my next project.
Thanks,

You gave me another one to look at but you also proved my point, ours is better that their stuff.
I have no experience or know anyone that has experience with HCA. I will do some research before my next project.
Thanks,

I did my best to stick to the science of the matter and not to just make a blanket statement like "we're the best".

I don't think you'll ever see an overwhelming presentation of "our stuff is okay and on par with the competition" in advertising and especially in this industry where we are at the point of having a seller-saturated market. Lots of guys out there building "the best" as you saw.

It takes some research to wade through the promoted world we see everyday. Best of luck with your research and finding your desired product.

Mike @ HCA