Hunting Food

NewGuy

FNG
I'm just starting to get into backpack/multi-day hunting. I’ve noticed that there’s a lot of different freeze dried food brands and was wondering what everyone thought was best. The one I've heard most of is mountain house.

There are so many choices out there and it all boils down to personal preference and what you are willing to spend. There is mountain house,peak fuel,heathers choice and bunch others,do your research and try a couple before you buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG_B.

FNG
I prefer mountain houses. Also might look into a jet boil if you don’t already have one. Nothing quite like fresh Starbucks on the side of a mountain.

pdxmatt

FNG
I've always appreciated variety. Made some pretty easy chili and spaghetti on my own last year, but supplemented with Mtn. House, Heather's Choice, and Off Grid. It's a great time to be getting into this, there's loads of good options.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in a stand that is up about six feet and fully enclosed. I used to worry about sent and smells etc; etc; but I don't have to get a deer, I have gotten my share so when I get hungry, I just walk back to the cabin and eat lunch and take a nap. I do take a Thermos with hot coffee though. If I was out roaming the woods like I used to, I just start a little camp fire and cook. Still managed to shoot a deer or two that way.

Amac1989

FNG
You can make your own with a dehydrater like Excalibur brand, higher upfront investment, will last years and you can do a lot with it including making sauces and meal kits to rehydrate and reheat on the trail. Worth looking into if you plan to go out on multi day hikes/hunts

Rob5589

WKR
Had to look up "butthole sandwich." Was a bit uneasy at what would come up but, voila', a RS thread was the first result! Love em, but I use Dave's Insanity bread instead of bagels.

NV HUNTER

WKR
This year in Montana at elk camp(we hunted out of side x sides) we brought foil and started a fire mid afternoon and put our butthole sandwiches on the edge on rocks. We had turkey,ham,cheese. They were so good!

87TT

WKR
I usually have a hoagie roll and a package of Bumblebee chicken salad and crackers. Slice the roll with my knife and spread on the chicken salad. Eat the crackers on the side or save them. Makes a sandwich and can stay in my pack for several days with out going bad as long as the bread is OK. Kind of a backup meal if I'm out late. Made bagel sandwiches too just not the butthole kind...…… yet. But my favorite hunting meal without cooking is bean and cheese burritos. They are cold or room temp wrapped in foil with a couple of hot sauce packets from a fast food place. I make up a big batch of them and freeze them. Thaw them out as needed. Once again they can last a couple of days in the pack if needed.
As for the "butthole samich", I have eaten a PB&J sandwich from the glove box that I'm pretty sure was about a week old.

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
If you have a dehydrator, then do your own. I've got high blood pressure that I manage by diet and exercise. I had to give up MH due to the high sodium and all the preservatives. Saying that however, once I started making my own dehydrated meals, I dont think I'd ever buy off-the-shelf meals again. If you do them yourself, you can make stuff that you know you like, and you know exactly whats in them. If you then vacuum seal them, they pack so much smaller than freeze dried meals too. Last year, I did venison stew, a hearty veggie and venison chili, my wifes chili mac, and a spicy mexican rice and chicken thing. They all rehydrated well, and tasted delicious on the mountain after a long day

Titan_Bow

WKR
Peanut butter, bacon and jalapeno on a bagel is a good high calorie, high fat item. Alot of bang for the buck as far as weight/size to calorie ratio. Make for good lunches or snacks when you are burning alot of fuel in the mountains

NEhunter

WKR
Anyone carry cheese and salami or summer sausage? How long would something like this last in a backpack during September archery season?

87TT

WKR
I suppose you could buy those little shelf stable cheese and salami/ sausage things like they put in gift baskets or near the checkout stands. They will keep forever unopened and out of the hot sun.