Hunting Food

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
i say that the best thing to eat in a long days hunt is a good bag of deer jerky..

I've taken salami and cheese in the past and still do as a regular staple. The salami can get a little greasy as it heats up, but it's not a big deal to me. The cheese does fine for a few days. Hard cheeses are better then soft ones. Buy the individually wrapped little slices. I knew a guy who took what was probably a one pound block of cheddar, cutting off pieces as the days went on. It was looking pretty bad by about the 4th day.

Wrench

WKR
Anyone carry cheese and salami or summer sausage? How long would something like this last in a backpack during September archery season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll keep at least a few days (cheese for sure) I had some in my pack for over a week and it wasn't funky. It wasn't as firm....but no issues with segregation of farts and solids.

Wrench

WKR
I buy the refillable toothpaste type tubes and load them with peanut butter. I can carry enough peanut butter in one to stay alive for 3 months.

Trial153

WKR
I stay clear of mountain house at this point if I can, At one time it was really the only easy option. Not now. There are so many other places making high quality freeze dried meals that I don’t have to subject myself to mountain house. That said .... if it’s all we have I eat it. I a
Ways wondered if Chili MAC sticks to our guts the way it sticks to a TI spork....
What I do is place an order with a few of the smaller vendors for sample packs, I do this in the winter or spring. Then we try some out over time and mark down what’s above avg. In jun or July I place my order for year.

MtGomer

WKR
I’ve been a Backcountry Fuelbox subscriber for a few months.
Ive discovered a lot of things I had no idea existed. It’s well worth the $33/mo or whatever it costs. Just about everything has been great and it comes with discount codes to order your favorites.

Anyone carry cheese and salami or summer sausage? How long would something like this last in a backpack during September archery season?

Salami or summer sausage with cheese and ritz crackers is one of my staples for lunch. I buy the hard Crackerbarrel small blocks of cheese and have had them in my pack for up to a week with no issues.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve noticed some people will split the freeze dried meals in 2 , put them in ziplocks and just carry one package to cook them in , anybody have any experience with this , on average is 1/2 of a package enough or a meal ?

87TT

WKR
I like Fiesta night. Rehydrate some dehydrated refried bean, throw in some chili cheese fritos, add some hot sauce and good to go. Or make some chicken and dumplings. I make up a baggie of freeze dried veggies, chicken bullion powder and freeze dried chicken chunks. Start cooking it, Mix up some bisquik with water until it's a sticky dough and spoon it on the chicken mix as it starts to boil. Cover and turn down the heat to a slow simmer and cook until the dumplings are cooked and the chicken veggie mix thickens. Try it at home to get an idea of the process and times.
P5210010.JPG

Titan_Bow

WKR
To add to my earlier post about dehydrating your own... Here is a 16oz portion of a hearty chili Mac with ground venison. It dehydrates down to about 5 oz. By then vacuum sealing it, it will last forever, and it packs really small. I was able to get a weeks worth of food in a much smaller pack size than I’d ever been able to before

6cc17b3010c8cf363a2477a5ce2801be.jpg

99f8ccacb96f017b0e20f1078fad73f4.jpg

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
To add to my earlier post about dehydrating your own... Here is a 16oz portion of a hearty chili Mac with ground venison. It dehydrates down to about 5 oz. By then vacuum sealing it, it will last forever, and it packs really small. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I have definitely got to get set up for this before fall.

How do you rehydrate that in the field? Pour in hot water? How do you know how much water to add back to the meal?

What dehydrator and vacuum sealer are you using?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Ok, I have definitely got to get set up for this before fall.

How do you rehydrate that in the field? Pour in hot water? How do you know how much water to add back to the meal?

What dehydrator and vacuum sealer are you using?

It’s pretty easy actually, there’s lots of YouTube vids, but you don’t really have to overthink it too much. One key I found is that for things like stews, you want to keep everything in fairly small and uniform pieces. It will dehydrate much better if so. To reheat, simply add boiling water, just like you would a Mountain House. I use an Excalibur dehydrator and Foodsaver vacuum sealer. All you got to do is weigh your portions out when you first put them on the dehydrator trays, then weigh them when they are done. Then keep that in mind and try to add about that amount of water back in. So for example, if I started with a 16 ounce portion, and end up with 4oz of dried food, I know I have to add about 12 ounces of water. Play around with different recipes, some foods dehydrate better than others. I find that a good hearty venison or beef stew rehydrates the best. It’s pretty hard to tell it’s not just leftover stew you pulled out of the fridge. Rice dishes do pretty good too. Pasta doesn’t always rehydrate 100% but it’s still taste good, especially after a hard day on the mountain.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I have a good system involving:
Instant oatmeal, protein bar, and Carnation chocolate drink mix for breakfast.
Trial mix packet, honey stinger, and protein bar for snacks between meals.
Mountain house for lunch.
Ramen noodles with a tuna packet mixed in for supper.

bobhunts

WKR
It’s pretty easy actually, there’s lots of YouTube vids, but you don’t really have to overthink it too much. One key I found is that for things like stews, you want to keep everything in fairly small and uniform pieces. It will dehydrate much better if so. To reheat, simply add boiling water, just like you would a Mountain House. I use an Excalibur dehydrator and Foodsaver vacuum sealer. All you got to do is weigh your portions out when you first put them on the dehydrator trays, then weigh them when they are done. Then keep that in mind and try to add about that amount of water back in. So for example, if I started with a 16 ounce portion, and end up with 4oz of dried food, I know I have to add about 12 ounces of water. Play around with different recipes, some foods dehydrate better than others. I find that a good hearty venison or beef stew rehydrates the best. It’s pretty hard to tell it’s not just leftover stew you pulled out of the fridge. Rice dishes do pretty good too. Pasta doesn’t always rehydrate 100% but it’s still taste good, especially after a hard day on the mountain.

Any links to YouTube for doing this? I already have the same dehydrater and sealer system? Thanks.

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a Backcountry Fuelbox subscriber for a few months.
Ive discovered a lot of things I had no idea existed. It’s well worth the $33/mo or whatever it costs. Just about everything has been great and it comes with discount codes to order your favorites.

I’ve been doing the same and just dumping the box in a plastic tote. When season rolls around I start packaging up different days worth of food. Seems to work

Humyuckle

FNG

Very interested in this. The meats keep ok for several days when dehydrated? Do you premake and freeze them.