Hunting for a view

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't been to every wilderness area, but I would be willing to bet they are all beautiful.

LaGriz

WKR
1st western hunt was in the West Elk Wilderness in the mid 1990's. Was beautiful country that back then held a whole lot of deer. unfortunately I was hunting elk in the late season and although my brother tagged out I did not see an elk. The units around Meeker are breathtaking. Not sure of the particular Wilderness Area. In the 1st couple weeks of October the aspens are quite spectacular. LaGriz

1st western hunt was in the West Elk Wilderness in the mid 1990's. Was beautiful country that back then held a whole lot of deer. unfortunately I was hunting elk in the late season and although my brother tagged out I did not see an elk. The units around Meeker are breathtaking. Not sure of the particular Wilderness Area. In the 1st couple weeks of October the aspens are quite spectacular. LaGriz

You’re probably thinking of The Flat Tops if you were around Meeker

OP
E
Thanks guys. I apologize for the delayed response, I stopped getting alerts. It sounds like I really can't go wrong with any of them. I just posted about seasons and if a wilderness area would be my best bet for my first backpack hunt. Are there things I should consider before I pick plan A?

NYSKIER

WKR
You should definitely consider physical fitness and how far in you are willing to pack/make sure that you have the right gear

OP
E
You should definitely consider physical fitness and how far in you are willing to pack/make sure that you have the right gear
My hunting partner and I are good shape for east coast standards.....I'm concerned that no matter what we do we might not be in top notch western shape. Do most of these wilderness areas have designated trailheads/trails or can you pretty much park anywhere?

NYSKIER

WKR
Depending on where you go there will be multiple access spots and parking areas. Some areas start off as normal national forest and then switch into wilderness. I wouldn't think that parking would be an issue

OP
E
Depending on where you go there will be multiple access spots and parking areas. Some areas start off as normal national forest and then switch into wilderness. I wouldn't think that parking would be an issue
Got it. Just wondering.....would it be better to jump straight off the road or go to a trailhead if we were trying to avoid people?

Got it. Just wondering.....would it be better to jump straight off the road or go to a trailhead if we were trying to avoid people?
You aren't going to avoid people in a CO wildnerness area during hunting season. That should be understood from the get-go.

Odds of avoiding people are actually better if you look for roadless areas that are not designated wilderness. Designated wilderness in CO is like a magnet for hikers, mountain bikers and NR hunters. I know a few roadless areas that are not wilderness where I've never seen so much as the sign of a human unless you want to count 100 year old cut stumps.

If your goal is to avoid people, find a large roadless area that is not wilderness, and then park along the road and start bushwhacking. The more vertical at the beginning, the better and downfall is your friend. Posthole through 1/4 mile of downfall (easily seen on GE by the way) and you will be alone, I can assure you. Not many people are willing to go thorugh downfall and neither are horses, which is a big plus. Only downside is getting an animal out through that stuff, so take that into account.

Anyplace that's easy to get an animal out of is also easy for people to get into. There is no free lunch when hunting public land out West and especially CO.

Having said that, the past two years I've been in elk nearly every day, and we were never more than a mile from a road that any vehicle could drive on. Elk are smart and they know when to sit tight and let people walk by them. So if you aren't going in 4-5 miles, then consider hunting within 1/2 mi. of a road. You might just be surprised how many elk hang out near roads and let the crowds walk past them.

OP
E
You aren't going to avoid people in a CO wildnerness area during hunting season. That should be understood from the get-go.

Odds of avoiding people are actually better if you look for roadless areas that are not designated wilderness. Designated wilderness in CO is like a magnet for hikers, mountain bikers and NR hunters. I know a few roadless areas that are not wilderness where I've never seen so much as the sign of a human unless you want to count 100 year old cut stumps.
Thats just information I was lookin for.....thank you for the insight. Thats why we are planning this hunt so far out. There is alot to learn!

Thats just information I was lookin for.....thank you for the insight. Thats why we are planning this hunt so far out. There is alot to learn!
Even in designated wilderness, 4-5 miles will put you into the backpack camper/mountain bike camper and horse outfitter sweet spot. So if you aren't getting off main trails, then don't expect to be alone. Even if you are getting off the main trails, there are horse trails on every single ridge in CO wilderness areas - literally. September is a popular month for camping in the high country of CO. You'll find a lot of traffic on roads you think should be devoid of people. It's a little bit mind boggling for an easterner at first. Last year we tried 1st rifle, and there was much less recreational traffic because the snow had started to fall at the higher elevations. Toward the end of 1st rifle, the road traffic really picked up because people were getting ready for the OTC season and mule deer opener. So far, I've hunted archery, muzzleloader, and 1st rifle and in my experience 1st rifle had the fewest people in the high country of those three. Just make sure if you go up above 9K you have a good 4wd to get you out if the snow starts falling.

Mountain bikers aren't allowed in Wilderness so at least OP has that going for him.