Hunting for an experience over an animal

WCB

WKR
I look at it different...maybe a hybrid version? I like hunting new areas and "exploring" I am definitely a "what's over the next ridge type of guy". I can have a great trip without pulling the trigger and I don't need to shoot something to just shoot something. I have gone home on DIY and guided trips with a tag in my pocket because I didn't see the animal I was after.

However, the reason I am there is to hunt an animal...otherwise I would just be a backpacking hiker (and I do just go hiking). I can have a great/successful trip and still call it a failed hunt. That's what keeps me going back. To me (don't take this as I am directing towards anyone here) saying it doesn't matter if a person kills something on a hunt is the same as that person actually killing something and saying it doesn't matter...

One of my favorite quotes I've come across while reading

"There are those that say the kill does not matter. They are fools or liars. I can laugh at misses, pass up an easy shot when there is reason, and come home empty handed. The kill matters. And the manner of the kill matters. All else is trivial, for nothing else is final” (Robert Elman)

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
I got four years of experiences elk hunting i am ready to start adding some killing to those. As i have gotten older i have been more selective but i still like killing stuff. In the end if i want to go camping i go camping but i am hunting with the objective of killing some thing.

Reactions: WCB
We're all out there for our own reasons, and we all have the right to seek what makes us feel most complete. Kill or not. Explore new unproven areas or not. The best a guy can do is understand what gives him the greatest satisfaction and go for that. But I've learned that no matter where my life takes me, I can bring the memories along too. The physical remnants of what I killed will be of no value to me someday.

And yes...I hunt with the absolute intention of killing my quarry. If that ever disappears I'll be moving on to better things.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I think both options could be great. I do like trying new areas, but I have also gone to the same area multiple times. Not that I was successful in harvesting there but because it was so much fun.

If I were you, I would try the new area and new experience. One of those high country hunts is on my bucket list...

My jumping from place to place has probably led to my lack of success on my western hunts, but I sure don't regret any of my trips out there.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t agree more, with the mindset displayed in this thread.

Experience trumps success in my book. If I’m lucky enough to have both.....then I’ve just won the lottery.

I'm with WCB! Man, I quit the Boy Scouts 35 years ago because of all that hiking in beautiful country without a gun!!! Same goes for recreational camping!!! 😳😳

If any chance of a good scouting trip and or a camera set up, might help in making that decision. ? .