Hunting from a blind

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Got lucky and drew an archery tag in UT. It's a unit I'm very familiar with, but I've personally never bow hunted it.

As I'm making mental notes about how I'm going to hunt it and what I may need to purchase, I'm torn whether a blind is/ isn't worth it.

In my mind I'm thinking I'll be more spot and stalk than sitting. The dates in UT this year are as late as they'll ever be Aug21-Sep17. However, there are a few spots I could see myself sitting. Especially early on.

I question how much time prior to using should it be set up? Are they better for scent control as apposed to not being in one?

What criteria and rules do you have when using a ground blind?

I have killed elk out of a ground blind. Works well sitting on a water hole. Scent control is better, bug control with a thermacell, movement is hidden. can be very effective forcing you to be patient.

hard things for people is the patience. Also reduced visibility, and lack of movement. For the early dates I would chase bugles in the AM and sit water as soon as the action stops. Bulls are notorious for sneaking in any time to cool off.

Scoot

WKR
Good advice above IMO. If it's very far back, I'd probably skip the popup blind and just make a natural blind, but that's just me. Elk aren't as twitchy as some critters and getting away with a natural blind isn't a big deal IME. But... it's definitely not as good at scent control as a popup.
Good luck!

Beendare

WKR
Sitting water is arguably one of the most effective strategies in some areas but there are so many variables to consider.

Some of those tanks are too big to shoot across with a bow.

Elk stop using some high traffic water once the season starts

Some of those mountain wind currents swirl and warn anything coming in.

Some water is used sporadically, mountain elk typically rotate through that country. What looks like a lot of sign could be a herd every 4 days.

Lots of variables but the numero uno is hunt fresh sign....

___