Hunting from a saddle

Mntbuck38

FNG
Saddle hunters
Who is a saddle hunters, and
who is getting into it?
i will be taking the dive this year! Now I need to figure out my climbing method. What are you all using?

I am looking to make the switch this year myself. Not sure many will see this in here, maybe put it in the Whitetail section

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted one season a couple years ago from a Guidos. Didn’t love it, sold it, and went back to a lock on for a couple years. Hunted the second half of this season from a modified Sit Drag and plan to stick with it for next season (much preferred it to the Guidos). I hunt public and use climbing sticks (DIY similar to beast sticks).

stump06

WKR
I use spurs and love them. If they aren't allowed I have some cut down and modded lonewolf sticks. Bee saddle hunting for 2 years and love it

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I use spurs and love them. If they aren't allowed I have some cut down and modded lonewolf sticks. Bee saddle hunting for 2 years and love it
Sweet, yea I'm definitely interested in it, I looked at the new line wolf custom double sticks with built in aider. I was unsure of the studs that contact the tree.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
Hunted one season a couple years ago from a Guidos. Didn’t love it, sold it, and went back to a lock on for a couple years. Hunted the second half of this season from a modified Sit Drag and plan to stick with it for next season (much preferred it to the Guidos). I hunt public and use climbing sticks (DIY similar to beast sticks).
I just ordered a H2 saddle, donim building my set up. But really like the idea
I hunt Public land in the hills of PA and just ordered a H2 saddle so I'm building my set-up. I like the idea of wild edge steps, beast sticks would be my next option, although I'm also thinking about lone wolf custom sticks so if I don't like the saddle I can get a Dquisto series stand and still be mobile. It's so overwhelming lol

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
They are awesome. I use an old modified treesaddle with 3 lone wolf sticks. I use screw in steps for a platform. It takes a lot of adjusting, but it is a great way to hunt.

I use a mantis from tethrid. I have ZERO complaints. I really like it. I have tried screw in steps and liked them. But, many places I hunt they are a no no. I used the wild edge steps and liked them. However, neither is a comparison to the Hawk Helium sticks I bought. I used the sticks all last year with an aider. I could get about 22-23 feet with three sticks. I used a homemade platform bolted on a wild edge step that I'd cam over. It worked well but, I'm going to buy the predator soon. Just too much fiddling with the edge platform. Too tight and it wouldn't cam over. Too loose and it would wobble too much when i faced away from the tree.

I'm going to give you some tips that worked well for me once figuring them out.

Fool with the set up enough in the yard to get comfortable leaning back into that line man rope. Don;t try to stay too close to the tree. Get yourself plenty of room when leaning back into it while climbing, setting your sticks, or taking them down. It will become second nature in short order.

Get a ropeman for your linemans belt and tether strap. Both allow easy, precise adjustment with only one hand versus two. That's nice while climbing or moving around the tree to get a shot.

Use a stick about 20 inches long. Modify them if need be. With a five step eider, you will get between 7-9 feet per step section. Depends on your height.

Get a stick with two steps versus alternating steps. It is much easier on your feet when hanging the sticks.

And, for me, using a platform was so much better because it allows you to stand facing away from the tree and use the tether strap to lock you in when shooting to your weak side.

I do. I climb with a single stick that is 14" long. I can climb as high as necessary.
Please elaborate on this method. Do you just sit back in your lineman and move the step up? Getting down seems like it could be tricky. I must be missing something

Check out the new shikar sticks by “out on a limb mfg”. I saw them at the Harrisburg show last week and they seem lagit, if you want to spend $3-400 on sticks. I bought a “tree hopper” sling at the show. Can’t wait to try it out. This will be my first dabble in the saddle game. Spurs seem like the way to go but seems dnr would disagree.

Check out the new shikar sticks by “out on a limb mfg”. I saw them at the Harrisburg show last week and they seem lagit, if you want to spend $3-400 on sticks. I bought a “tree hopper” sling at the show. Can’t wait to try it out. This will be my first dabble in the saddle game. Spurs seem like the way to go but seems dnr would disagree.
Hey man, I did a internet search for the tree hopper and couldn't find it. I'd love to see a pic of it. Got any idea of a webpage?

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I use a mantis from tethrid. I have ZERO complaints. I really like it. I have tried screw in steps and liked them. But, many places I hunt they are a no no. I used the wild edge steps and liked them. However, neither is a comparison to the Hawk Helium sticks I bought. I used the sticks all last year with an aider. I could get about 22-23 feet with three sticks. I used a homemade platform bolted on a wild edge step that I'd cam over. It worked well but, I'm going to buy the predator soon. Just too much fiddling with the edge platform. Too tight and it wouldn't cam over. Too loose and it would wobble too much when i faced away from the tree.

I'm going to give you some tips that worked well for me once figuring them out.

Fool with the set up enough in the yard to get comfortable leaning back into that line man rope. Don;t try to stay too close to the tree. Get yourself plenty of room when leaning back into it while climbing, setting your sticks, or taking them down. It will become second nature in short order.

Get a ropeman for your linemans belt and tether strap. Both allow easy, precise adjustment with only one hand versus two. That's nice while climbing or moving around the tree to get a shot.

Use a stick about 20 inches long. Modify them if need be. With a five step eider, you will get between 7-9 feet per step section. Depends on your height.

Get a stick with two steps versus alternating steps. It is much easier on your feet when hanging the sticks.

And, for me, using a platform was so much better because it allows you to stand facing away from the tree and use the tether strap to lock you in when shooting to your weak side.
awsome info, thanks a ton.

Hey man, I did a internet search for the tree hopper and couldn't find it. I'd love to see a pic of it. Got any idea of a webpage?

Www.treehopperllc.com
From what I gather he’s new to the saddle market bit has specialized in a drill/bolt step system that is real slick. If you haven’t already, join the saddle hunter forum. There’s a lot of good info, overwhelmingly so, on there including this saddle.

Squirrels

WKR
Please elaborate on this method. Do you just sit back in your lineman and move the step up? Getting down seems like it could be tricky. I must be missing something
You have the general idea of how it works. My stick has a two step aider sewn on the bottom. I can move the stick 3 times after putting it on the tree at ground level and get my feet to right at 22' off the ground. As far as coming down I don't use the stick at all. I rappel down. If you guys have interest in saddle hunting I would suggest the saddlehunter forum. I have the same handle over there. Lots of good info there and I am happy to help or answer any questions.

Norske

FNG
Saddle hunters
Who is a saddle hunters, and
who is getting into it?
i will be taking the dive this year! Now I need to figure out my climbing method. What are you all using?
I have the mantis and predator platform and I use 3 uncut hawk heliums. Love it. Ideally 4 hawk heliums that are cut down would be perfect. Or some people add aiders. Haul it all in with a diablo dos.

rcb2000

WKR
Modified a Sit drag for my saddle.
8 Wild edge steps
Aider
And a wild edge platform.

only thing I’ll change next season is maybe getting Tethrd saddle