Hunting from a saddle

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve used one for twelve years. Started with the old trophylines and have an aero hunter evolution I’m not crazy about Currently. I use lone wolf sticks and either screw in steps or strap on steps to work my way around the tree if needed.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I’ve used one for twelve years. Started with the old trophylines and have an aero hunter evolution I’m not crazy about Currently. I use lone wolf sticks and either screw in steps or strap on steps to work my way around the tree if needed.
What don't you like about the aero?

I hunted out of a saddle all last season and loved it. I won't be going back to my climber or hang on. A saddle is comfortable and very versatile. You can truly hunt any tree.

As for climbing method, it depends on your budget. If you have the money to spend I'd go with the new Shirak sticks. If you are looking for a more budget friendly I would wait for Hawk Helium to release their new 20 inch sticks (suppose to be released this summer).

There are a lot of climbing methods out there. I believe sticks are the best option, but for me I rarely hunt the same tree twice.

Youtube is full of videos on different climbing methods and modifications.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I hunted out of a saddle all last season and loved it. I won't be going back to my climber or hang on. A saddle is comfortable and very versatile. You can truly hunt any tree.

As for climbing method, it depends on your budget. If you have the money to spend I'd go with the new Shirak sticks. If you are looking for a more budget friendly I would wait for Hawk Helium to release their new 20 inch sticks (suppose to be released this summer).

There are a lot of climbing methods out there. I believe sticks are the best option, but for me I rarely hunt the same tree twice.

Youtube is full of videos on different climbing methods and modifications.
It can be overwhelming, for sure! I have beast sticks on order. Unfortunately they won't be here until April. But this shikar sticks are pretty sweet for packability.i was looking at them at the Outdoor show in Harrisburg PA.

I’ll be trying it out this year. I have a set of beast sticks and helium sticks so I’m set there. I have a healthy fear of heights and not too sure about the leaning backwards. However the weight is amazing.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I’ll be trying it out this year. I have a set of beast sticks and helium sticks so I’m set there. I have a healthy fear of heights and not too sure about the leaning backwards. However the weight is amazing.
I think you will be fine, as long as you spend alot of time practicing in it, at ground level. There is just something about being tied in all the time that makes me feel safe an confident!

I switched for this season too cant wait to try it, i purchased a used but like new kestrel flex kit looking for a platform using screw in steps for now

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I saddle hunted all last year and used 3 cut down hawk heliums with knaider and swaider. I tried wild edge steps but never really like them, not enough space to get both of my feet comfortable while setting the next step.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
In hopes of stirring conversation and not to hijack this post, but I am curious of guys who have been saddle hunting, I have read all of these comments and others elsewhere and watched a ton of videos.
The one thing not one person has addressed that is killing me:
How do you get around branches?
Big main ones, small ones that you can’t/don’t want to just snap off for noise. Do you take a saw and cut your way up? Does everybody just have an abundance of trees that don’t start limb growth until 20 feet?

Poser

WKR
In hopes of stirring conversation and not to hijack this post, but I am curious of guys who have been saddle hunting, I have read all of these comments and others elsewhere and watched a ton of videos.
Big main ones, small ones that you can’t/don’t want to just snap off for noise. Do you take a saw and cut your way up? Does everybody just have an abundance of trees that don’t start limb growth until 20 feet?

You just use 2 lineman belts. Attach one above the limb and disconnect the one below the limb.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I use my thether as a 2nd lineman's belt and. Tie in above it, take off my primary lineman's then accend and then retie lineman's and take off terher

Bought a full tethrd setup this year (phantom saddle, predator platform, tether, HYS strap, recliner, 2 sys haulers, ropeman) and use buckleless hawk helium sticks (have standard and mini, prefer mini). Use aiders on 2 sticks to get higher.

I haven't used it a ton but I sure struggle to keep still in it compared to sitting in a stand. I still prefer a stand but am keeping the saddle for certain situations like where concealment is really tough or I don't want to pack a stand and know its going to be a short sit. I really cant see myself doing an all day Nov sit in MN with one.

For steps, if $$ aint a thing id get shikars or wait for tethrd One steps to hit the market. The heliums work great for $100 per set.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
Bought a full tethrd setup this year (phantom saddle, predator platform, tether, HYS strap, recliner, 2 sys haulers, ropeman) and use buckleless hawk helium sticks (have standard and mini, prefer mini). Use aiders on 2 sticks to get higher.

I haven't used it a ton but I sure struggle to keep still in it compared to sitting in a stand. I still prefer a stand but am keeping the saddle for certain situations like where concealment is really tough or I don't want to pack a stand and know its going to be a short sit. I really cant see myself doing an all day Nov sit in MN with one.

For steps, if $$ aint a thing id get shikars or wait for tethrd One steps to hit the market. The heliums work great for $100 per set.
I went with the beast sticks and they stick to the tree like a dream, super lite . I hunt mountainous areas and love the mobility of the saddle ,I will admit it's a bit getting used to. As compared to my LW climber or a hang on. But I'm committed to it now. each time it get easier and better

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should also note my concern/intrigue was most everything I see is guys climbing hardwoods, having 90% pine locally with roughly 100-one million limbs between the ground and 15-20 some pre season cutting of certain trees may be the best option

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I guess I should also note my concern/intrigue was most everything I see is guys climbing hardwoods, having 90% pine locally with roughly 100-one million limbs between the ground and 15-20 some pre season cutting of certain trees may be the best option
I'm hunting PA hardwoods and I have not given that a though. We do have some pines and hemlock but are unable to cut limbs on game lands. The greatest thing about saddle hunting is that there are no limits to creativity. You may be about to use the base of the limbs as steps if strong enough.