Hunting gear: strictly camo or some solids?

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I have been slowly building my hunting gear collection. But there have been some times when I loved the gear so much I wanted to have multiple purposes so I purchased some solids. Sitka Timberline pants are a great example. It's like indestructible pajamas you can wear to more places than just Walmart.

I have had this conversation with my buddy. His thoughts are he wants to buy once, cry once, and have all his hunting gear in camo to have all the odds in his favor. I do agree with him to an extent, however, some pieces of gear are just too nice not to want to wear to other places. I also don't want to be wearing a camo jacket when going somewhere nicer where if it was in a solid color I would be fine. I spend a lot of time backpacking as well and unfortunately some folks on the trail you stick out like a sore thumb and it can create some awkward times and conversations.

My game plan right now is most of my hunting gear for archery will be in camo since that's closer to your target, minus the pants since usually I am waist-deep in brush. For rifle, I think I will be more lax and wear more solids since the distance is greater.

Now I am also a newer hunter so you may destroy me for my decisions.

I got caught in the open by two cows, a calf and a spike a few weeks ago at 22 yards while wearing the shiniest puffy jacket you can imagine. After what seemed like an eternity of staying motionless while praying the wind didn’t switch they decided to keep walking. After that encounter I decided camo doesnt matter. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

(Edited to add distance)

Ac338

WKR
I prefer buying most pieces in a neutral solid color. I have a few camo tops but that’s about it. I personally don’t like wearing camo out and about and with how expensive high end clothing is I’m making it have multiple purposes (hiking, camping, bonfires) so I go solids.

Poser

WKR
This time of year, I routinely see guys at the grocery store, restaurants etc who are head to toe matching camo. I must admit that I inherently feel a bit embarrassed for them. It’s sort of this aspect of wearing a uniform of some sort but it comes across more like playing dress up. I do own and wear hunting specific brands, but haven’t bought camo in years. I use a lot of the same apparel for backpacking, peak bagging, snowboarding etc.

Wear what you want, but camo is not an advantage for hunting game.

jimh406

WKR
It depends on the type of hunting. If you are staying put and hunting deer/elk, I don't think it matters at all. If you are caught moving, it also won't matter.

So, I suggest some camo, but don't think camo will keep you from being winded or hide your movement.

shwacker

FNG
IMO camo probably doesn't matter for almost all animals. Movement and smell are more important. Not that you can really do too much about smell. But I do own a bunch of camo because I think it's cool.

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Alright I'm convinced. Ill be getting the ambient hoody everyone has been talking about in lead.....

For the most part I wear camo tops and headgear. Pants, I go with neutral solid colors. IMO, big game doesn't care what you wear unless they smell you, pick up movement, or hear "un-natural" noises. Rainwear, I run solid quiet gear that can perform double duty in non-hunting situations with my townie friends.

Rock-o

WKR
Solids are camo too.

I have "mosaic" (or whatever the proper term is to describe camo that is not solid) camo but I'm transitioning to solid camo.

Only time I go head to toe camo anymore is turkey hunting. For deer, camo tops because I have several from over the years. Bottoms are jeans, canvas cargo pants, or Kuhls in various earth colors. I’m too cheap to buy the latest hunting clothes and I’m certainly not paying $50 or more for a pair of gloves.

I wore head shirt and pants solid earth tone colors during high country archery. Got caught in open with a mature 4x4. He caught movement and I froze. After 5 - 7 minutes he went back to being a deer this was at 70ish yards away.

Just spoke to an archery killer and he only wears solids. He made a good point. He said only real reason to wear camo is to hide from other hunters. Other than that is marketing hype.

Solids on the legs and usually camo up top; sometimes a solid non-matching top.

Appearing to work for UPS is a non-starter.

But the best is to not look like a hunter. Hunting waterfowl? Dress like a fisherman including poles. Hunting deer/elk? Dress like a granola eating hiker or a farmer (adjust profile to local conditions).

I prefer solids these days, although I buy camo outer layer tops still if they're hunting specific, mostly for archery.

Look up vintage hunting photos, lotta killers in blue jeans and button downs, not much camo to be seen.

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I wore head shirt and pants solid earth tone colors during high country archery. Got caught in open with a mature 4x4. He caught movement and I froze. After 5 - 7 minutes he went back to being a deer this was at 70ish yards away.

Just spoke to an archery killer and he only wears solids. He made a good point. He said only real reason to wear camo is to hide from other hunters. Other than that is marketing hype.
I have heard the people who wear camo is to hide from other hunters from several different people myself. I wonder if this is out of fear of being shot by a hunter not confirming his target or what.

BTW...some camo options do not come in solids but have essentials like Polygeine, a hoody and built-in facemask which you definitely want in very buggy areas. My Sitka Core light zip tee saved me on a two week moose hunt.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Solids on the legs and usually camo up top; sometimes a solid non-matching top.

Appearing to work for UPS is a non-starter.

But the best is to not look like a hunter. Hunting waterfowl? Dress like a fisherman including poles. Hunting deer/elk? Dress like a granola eating hiker or a farmer (adjust profile to local conditions).
I bring a chainsaw so people think I am a logger.