Hunting Gear Update

RBC

FNG
I am a looking to upgrade my whitetail hunting apparel - I mainly hunt in the midwest during gun season, but starting to hunt during early season. I currently have all field and stream stuff about 12 years old (good condition but extremely heavy). I have now reached paralysis by analysis from all the research. I don't want to take out a second mortgage so Sitka, FL, and KUIU seems out of price range, plus I don't plan on doing out west hunting (but maybe once if I am fortunate enough). I'm thinking about second or some may some third tier gear. I was thinking Scent lok, Kings Camo XKG series, or Skre. SKRE seems like awesome gear but just wondering if I can get warm enough to stay in the stand all day in late November. Kings Came XKG seems to use newer technology to remain light weight yet still remain affordable. Scent lok seems reasonable as well with numerous sales through the year. I would be willing to buy tier 1 gear, but probably would need to be used. Looking for some feedback and thoughts keeping in mind midwest stand hunting (early and late season) vs western active hunts - thanks.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest watching camofire. I have got quite a bit of Kryptek and Rocky stuff that I really like. I use both for here in Missouri and for hunts that I have done out west.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Sitka stuff, and think it is worth the price. If I didnt have Sitka, or the other top of the line stuff, I would either wear Kryptek, scentlok, nomad, or possibly Pnuma.

I would also second camofire for great deals on gear. Sitka can be found regularly for 30+% off, with some items of good cold wearher gear in the 60+% off range!

another area to look is the classifieds here. You can get some good gear for similar oevels of discount for what amounts to once or twice used, and up to half off for good used gear. Be selective and dont over pay for anything, but there can be some awesome deals.

quick question, how do you hunt? Treestand, box blind, pull up to a tree trunk? Reason i ask is box blind hunting can be made a lot easier with a cheap buddy heater.

OP
R

RBC

FNG
I would also second camofire for great deals on gear. Sitka can be found regularly for 30+% off, with some items of good cold wearher gear in the 60+% off range!

another area to look is the classifieds here. You can get some good gear for similar oevels of discount for what amounts to once or twice used, and up to half off for good used gear. Be selective and dont over pay for anything, but there can be some awesome deals.

quick question, how do you hunt? Treestand, box blind, pull up to a tree trunk? Reason i ask is box blind hunting can be made a lot easier with a cheap buddy heater.
treestand hunting

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I know its not realtree pattern but I've been converting to Badlands and a few Sitka items. Badlands has good deals and is lifetime warranty. I would say the merino is same quality as FL that I have, but when it wears out you can have it repaired/replaced unlike my FL chama hoody with elbow holes in it...

Can always try to snatch something used in the classifieds too. Some of the things people sell are brand new or like new. The nice stuff is definitely expensive, but if you're only adding a piece or two a year (even used) it will retain some value if well cared for and you can upgrade as you go.

I've been using ScentLok the last few years and just made the switch to KUIU. The ScentLok stuff was all still in like new condition after three seasons of very regular use. It's high quality camo that will keep you warm and you can get it on sale multiple times per year. I would suggest it to anyone regardless of whether the carbon alloy technology works. The only drawback (and the reason I upgraded to KUIU this year) is it's heavy and it retains moisture during a rain or walking through wet grass. I do a lot of hiking to get to my public land setups and sometimes the grass is chest high at the start of the season and ScentLok was too heavy for me to hike in comfortably and still be on stand for hours. We'll see if KUIU lives up to the hype.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I went in on Kings camo xkg this year. So far I love it. I got the anorak set but haven’t used it yet. It’s definitely gonna keep me warm though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was hard taking out the second mortgage but i bit the bullet and bough sitka last year. best decision i have ever made. im able to stay warmer, hunt longer ,and more comfortable because of it. first lite base layers.

Erict

WKR
I'll assume you want camo. If I were you, and I was years ago, I would focus on getting a decent outer shell that is probably windproof and waterproof or resistant. Get it a bit oversize. Everything underneath does not have to come from a "hunting clothes manufacturer - for example, every now and then you see people swearing by military surplus puffy gear. Plenty of used gear at reasonable prices. You may want to check out this FL facebook group that may be what you are looking for. Good luck.

fwafwow

WKR
What temps and for how long are you typically in the treestand?

Note that this portion of your text (“Looking for some feedback and thoughts keeping in mind midwest stand hunting (early and late season) vs western active hunts…”) might be hard to find one set that fits both - IMHO

I’ve tried most of the major brands. I admittedly have a problem trying to find the “good, better and best” options with gear.

I do a lot of mobile hunting as well as have spots where I walk a few hundred yards to stands in wooded lots surrounded by ag fields.

I absolutely love the fit of kuiu for me. It’s my favorite of all the brands I’ve tried but really not ideal for treestand hunting. I’ve tried over and over in different ways to make it work. For me, I like it down to about 40 degrees for long stationary sits for over a few hours. Any colder than that and I need a bunch of layers. I would rate it as good for whitetail hunting. If I wear my heated vest I can get down to the upper 30s. For reference I wear the axis pant, base layer shirt, peloton 260 hoodie, kenai vest and then the axis jacket if needed. It’s kind of a lot of layers for that temp rang in my opinion.

first lite. I rate as better when it comes to a mid season range options. A lot of folks love this stuff and would disagree but this is just my opinion. I’ve tried the catalyst stuff, Woodbury and Sanctuary lines. The catalyst is ok but the wind blows right through it so not my favorite for a very diverse piece that will get you through the season. The Woodbury jacket is great but they don’t make it anymore and it’s a big winter jacket. I haven’t tried the solitude stuff but to me it’s looks too hot to wear when it’s warm and it doesn’t have windblocker. But I haven’t tried it…
I did find it nice to wear hiking ng pants with long Johns and a base layer shirt to walk in. Then when I get cold just throw on the Woodbury. Add a hoodie and that’s a pretty good system that can get you through most of the season with out tons of layers. The only negative being the bulk to pack the Woodbury jacket. The sanctuary in my mind is just a late season piece. It’s in the best category for that purpose. Super warm and quiet, Awsome stuff. Not to jump ahead but I honestly can say I think the sanctuary and the Sitka fanatic are both amazing late season gear. I can’t choose one over the other. Both in best category.

I’m gonna rate Sitka as best for what I want. I’m selling all my stuff next season and going the stratus series. I’ll keep my first lite sanctuary stuff for really cold hunts but plan on utilizing the Sitka stratus with a couple tweaks for almost the entire season. I like the bibs because the full length zips. Easy to vent on the way in. I probably won’t wear the bibs until it gets below 40. My legs don’t get that cold. My plan for most of the season is to wear a hiking pant (you could buy the equinox) with merino base layer, a base layer shirt, the fanatic hoodie, stratus jacket and a puffy for when it’s gets really cold. I’ll wear the puffy under the stratus. I think that system will work from 75–20 degrees and allow me to be comfortable hiking in and layer up easily in the tree when I cool down.

I like scentlok a lot as well but would rate it as good to better.

long winded but I hope that helps.

I’ve tried most of the major brands. I admittedly have a problem trying to find the “good, better and best” options with gear.

I do a lot of mobile hunting as well as have spots where I walk a few hundred yards to stands in wooded lots surrounded by ag fields.

I absolutely love the fit of kuiu for me. It’s my favorite of all the brands I’ve tried but really not ideal for treestand hunting. I’ve tried over and over in different ways to make it work. For me, I like it down to about 40 degrees for long stationary sits for over a few hours. Any colder than that and I need a bunch of layers. I would rate it as good for whitetail hunting. If I wear my heated vest I can get down to the upper 30s. For reference I wear the axis pant, base layer shirt, peloton 260 hoodie, kenai vest and then the axis jacket if needed. It’s kind of a lot of layers for that temp rang in my opinion.

first lite. I rate as better when it comes to a mid season range options. A lot of folks love this stuff and would disagree but this is just my opinion. I’ve tried the catalyst stuff, Woodbury and Sanctuary lines. The catalyst is ok but the wind blows right through it so not my favorite for a very diverse piece that will get you through the season. The Woodbury jacket is great but they don’t make it anymore and it’s a big winter jacket. I haven’t tried the solitude stuff but to me it’s looks too hot to wear when it’s warm and it doesn’t have windblocker. But I haven’t tried it…
I did find it nice to wear hiking ng pants with long Johns and a base layer shirt to walk in. Then when I get cold just throw on the Woodbury. Add a hoodie and that’s a pretty good system that can get you through most of the season with out tons of layers. The only negative being the bulk to pack the Woodbury jacket. The sanctuary in my mind is just a late season piece. It’s in the best category for that purpose. Super warm and quiet, Awsome stuff. Not to jump ahead but I honestly can say I think the sanctuary and the Sitka fanatic are both amazing late season gear. I can’t choose one over the other. Both in best category.

I’m gonna rate Sitka as best for what I want. I’m selling all my stuff next season and going the stratus series. I’ll keep my first lite sanctuary stuff for really cold hunts but plan on utilizing the Sitka stratus with a couple tweaks for almost the entire season. I like the bibs because the full length zips. Easy to vent on the way in. I probably won’t wear the bibs until it gets below 40. My legs don’t get that cold. My plan for most of the season is to wear a hiking pant (you could buy the equinox) with merino base layer, a base layer shirt, the fanatic hoodie, stratus jacket and a puffy for when it’s gets really cold. I’ll wear the puffy under the stratus. I think that system will work from 75–20 degrees and allow me to be comfortable hiking in and layer up easily in the tree when I cool down.

Thanks

jj554

Lil-Rokslider

How is your layering system working out? Did you make any changes?