Hunting Gloves Recommendations

gigawatts_3

Lil-Rokslider
I have yet to find a pair of gloves I like for late season here in MN. My issue is dexterity in relation to warmth. Does any one have a pair that are relatively warm without sacrificing too much dexterity? I primarily archery hunt but also rifle hunt for a couple weekends and like to be able to feel the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColeyG

WKR
For warm but dexterous gloves, I like the Kuiu Yukon Pro and Sitka Stormfront. For medium weight or active gloves in more moderate conditions (25-35 degrees) I like the Kuiu Guide Glove and Sitka Mountain Glove.

If it is cold enough that the Yukons or Stormfronts aren't warm enough, I go for Black Diamond's Soloist glove/mitten, sometimes with a liner underneath so I have a light layer of insulation should I need to peal the big gloves off to shoot, work the binos or spotter, etc.

OP
G

gigawatts_3

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, keep the recommendations coming. I think my big thing is I don’t like gloves but when it’s in the teens you can’t get away with not wearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
This past week we had some weather in the teens and I was bowhunting from a treestand.
I did a two morning hunt comparison of a good hand muff (Hunter Specialties) with the hand warmer packets and a light glove vs the same light glove under a fleece convertible glove with a pocket to hold the warmer packets.

Here is the light glove: https://www.manzella.com/p/manzella-ranger-touchtip-hunting-gloves-men-h145m?color=RX1

Here is the convertible glove: https://www.manzella.com/p/manzella-bow-hunter-convertible-hunting-gloves-men-h012m?color=RX1

For just sitting, the muff was warmer but for overall dexterity and lack of movement when the deer were close the two glove system was a little better.
Manzella is having a 25% sale right now.

The big mittens and heavy glassing gloves just don't work for me with a release (compound) or a tab (recurve).

For absolute warmth with little finger dexterity these Timberline Mittens cannot be beat:

Trial153

WKR
Sitka has a new pair of cold weather whitetail gloves coming...look out

LostArra

WKR
Sitka has a new pair of cold weather whitetail gloves coming...look out

"Look out" for your wallet.

I'm beginning to think cold tolerance for hands and feet is highly individual. I rarely get cold feet with minimal boot but I get cold hands quickly.

These worked well in wyoming for me, used the M1 pro

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It's been mentioned here before... Pick one. No true glove warm enough to keep your hands toasty has great dexterity. No glove with truly great dexterity keeps your hands warm enough for northern minnesota.

I just got done hunting in zone 209 up there in Northern MN. With the windchill, it was -17 for 3 days straight... I wore the first lite talus fingerless underneath the first lite grizzly trigger mitt. Hands were plenty warm... The trigger mitts have a wrsit strap and are QUIET so you can get them off quickly when it's time for a shot.

Last edited:
Easy and very inexpensive:

1. Ragg wool convertible mittens with half-fingers (Amazon $9 Hot Shot Men's Wool Gloves/Mitten)
2. Northstar Men's Tan Deerskin Chopper Mitten to go over these (XXX-large Northstar Men's Tan Deerskin Chopper Mitten)

I wore just the ragg wool gloves on a recent WY hunt. Morning temps were -9 one day and -13 the next. My hands never got cold. Flip back and use your fingers, or wear a thin liner underneath if your hands run cold and/or you will need your fingers for more than a minute or so. Chopper mitten on top if for long term glassing with wind, although even with WY winds the ragg wools were good without the choppers on top.

Look at ebay for "massif cold weather flyers glove". Usually around 25 bucks. Great dexterity and goretex too. If I am moving they work great to single digits. Otherwise I use mitts from Black Diamond.

gfreidy

WKR
Merino liners under a fingerless glove is my favorite combo. I will cover with a more insulated overglove in bitter cold weather.

Clarence

WKR
merino liners with rag wool glommits.
I have been liking this setup. Wait til the black ovis liners and hot shot ragwool glomits are on camofire the same day and you have one stop shopping. I like the ragwool ones because they are flexible enough to shoot without pulling my fingers out if I'm in a hurry. I can throw a chemical hand warmer in the tops and I'm great into sub zero conditions. Won't break the bank either!

WCB

WKR
From MN...hunt late season bow a bunch and MZ season. No glove that you can feel the trigger on is going to be warm enough. I use a very thin pair of wool gloves in conjunction with a hand muff and heat packs. For using binos or waiting for a shot the thin pair is adequate so your fingers don't freeze. When just sitting and waiting hands are in muffs. A ton easier than trying yo get a large pair of gloves or choppers off especially late season when deer seam to be spooky and everything is loud.

On another note I can not remember ever pulling the trigger on a release or firearm for big game with any glove on my "shooting" hand.

Reactions: mjh

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Not to bump an old thread but, I figure this might still benefit some people out there and I'd rather not start a new thread on the same topic, seems wasteful.

In the cold season I wear Dachstein boiled wool gloves. They are kind of thick, but are surprisingly dexterous once you've worn them a few days. I've used them with my recurve, as well as with my compound with a trigger release and with hunting rifles. Never had any issues feeling the trigger (with the latter two).

I still use a muff for maximum comfort while sitting a long time in the cold, but the gloves themselves will keep your hands warm quite a while. They also make a convertible mitt/fingerless glove but I haven't personally used it yet so I wouldn't want to comment on it.

The one thing they are not is cheap, but I like mine and based on what I've read they can last a few decades. I like the way they feel after being out in the snow and cold for hours better than most gloves so they're worth looking into if you like that kind of thing.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
I have a old pair of North Face down mittens, coupled with a couple hot hand heaters they do the trick