Hunting Hangover

treillw

WKR
It's the day after a two day 100 mph trip into the backcountry shed hunting and I find myself laying on the couch after a long soak in the tub feeling useless and fighting off a migraine. It's not surprising, after racing (and beating almost all) truckloads of horses back the long trail to shed paradise on my mountain bike. Spent the rest of the day frantically running around trying to find sheds. Day two was just a long slow grind with my remaining energy. Whatever your experience, I'm sure you can relate to the feeling.

What are some things you do before, during, and after trips to aid with stamina and recovery?

Before I don't really do anything but try to drink some extra water. During I try to eat and drink enough, but in reality I'm probably not doing enough of either. I think I need to start adding electrolytes into all my water as well. After is usually followed up by the solid decision of eating a pizza by myself and a trip to Dairy Queen. Working out from time to time would probably help my body be more used to burning so much energy as well.

Rich M

WKR
Water vinegar and honey helps w aches and cramps.

Magnesium helps w cramps to but go easy on it.

Got nothing for headaches as I rarely get but like goodies powder when do.

Mosby

WKR
Protein really helps the body/muscles recover after stressful workouts. A lot of things you can eat or drink to help recover. Simple things like chocolate milk are always good.

remnar

FNG
Conditioning and hydration . But even then if you go past your limits its still gonna happen . Its over exertion.

Magnesium is awesome for cramps... but overdo it and your sphincter will un-cramp, and you’ll be lookin for a privacy bush and maybe a clean pair of skivvies. I’m 63 and I find I have to really pay attention to hydration and electrolytes Nowadays.

Magnesium is awesome for cramps... but overdo it and your sphincter will un-cramp, and you’ll be lookin for a privacy bush and maybe a clean pair of skivvies. I’m 63 and I find I have to really pay attention to hydration and electrolytes Nowadays.
Even younger folks can find a performance increase by keeping themselves properly hydrated... and this means electrolytes too.

Food is a given - get me in the backcountry and I’m anything but hungry. I don’t know why, but I have to force feed myself. I time myself to run an hour and then take a 15 minute break and have 100-300 calories. Obviously if the action is heating up then break may get pushed off a little while, but if I don’t do it I end up miserable. I also run a hydration pack so hydration is never too far away and very convenient. Keep an old smart water or Gatorade bottle to mix your electrolyte drink.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Mostly just conditioning. I work out year round so I can keep it together on hunts. Weather it’s grinding it out in the mountains or hauling moose through a swamp, strength and cardio are good things. After a hunt, I usually take some time off and just relax for a week or so before getting back to the training.

My diet is generally pretty clean, I don’t change it much.

It’s over exertion. Conditioning sure helps to make that limit much farther out and, recovery much quicker. So does good nutrition.

Veggies have to be a part of your life. Protein helps recovery. But, won’t do a thing for your hydration, vitamin, and nutrient levels alone. Greens, greens, greens, tomato’s, tomato's, tomato’s.

Magnesium, potassium, and sodium are your friends before and during recovery. And, the faithful banana and tomato is hard to beat for potassium. Greens are going to deliver your magnesium. Nuts too. Put sone salt on the veggies and eat them raw if possible. And, drink lots of water. When you get home, make you a good meat meal with plenty of these sides, and you’ll be Golden. Stay away from the alcohol too.