Hunting health foods, whats in your truck/pack?

JoeDirt

WKR
Trying to eat healthier during hunting season. Im pretty good throughout the year but fall short with long archery elk hunting days. Looking for lower carb, nutrition rich food ideas? Im divorced kids are grown not much cooking or food dehydrating going on these days.

So far ive ordered bulk organic tail mix online. Plan on eating plain with Nido or yogurt.

Packs of tuna/salmon with random toppings. (bacon bits, mayo, flavored mustard)

Mountain House eggs (add ham or bacon)

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't worry about carbs if hiking hard. Carbs are fuel. It's a good goal to try to keep sodium down which is tough with Mt House. To answer your question, I like nuts and banana chips. Peanut butter packets (MRE) and crackers.

OP
J

JoeDirt

WKR
I wouldn't worry about carbs if hiking hard. Carbs are fuel. It's a good goal to try to keep sodium down which is tough with Mt House. To answer your question, I like nuts and banana chips. Peanut butter packets (MRE) and crackers.

I struggle with keeping my weight down, low crabs just make that easier. Lots of scouting, trail camera maintenance this time of year carbs are not really needed.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I struggle with keeping my weight down, low crabs just make that easier. Lots of scouting, trail camera maintenance this time of year carbs are not really needed.

All depends on the hunt. I hiked 55 miles in 8 days last year. Dropped nearly 10 lbs. I needed calories for energy.

I do try to be careful at home, especially if I didn't work out that day. I love bread but try to limit it. PB&J can be good. I eat all natural peanut butter, 45 calorie per slice wheat bread, and a minimal amount of jelly for moisture and flavor. If day hiking while scouting, easy to make and bag.

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Im surprised no one mentioned jerky. It is no carb and low fat if you make it with wild game. Another plus when its wild game is you got something to chew on for a while and you can decide how much salt to put on it. Dried wasab snow peas are a great healthy snack as well.

fatlander

WKR
I don’t eat enough when elk hunting. Doesn’t really matter what I’m eating, it’s not enough to keep me from losing weight.

Salmon and turkey jerky fills me up and is low carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I eat LOADS of granola with dried berries when hunting. I don't try to go low carb, but I do try to limit the amount of sugar added to my food. So I just find the granola that has the most oats, lowest amount of added sugar, and freeze dried fruit. A variation to make it less boring is some powdered milk... Then you have cereal.

I also do tuna packets sometimes, but they're disgusting and they wreak so I have shifted toward jerky.

I really like dehydrated bean soup mix. There are some types on store shelves, but I haven't found any that I really like. You might be able to find some at a grocery store that has a bulk section and of course you can look online.

Usually get a few freeze dried backpacker meals.

Trail mix

Freeze dried fruit

At least 1 beer

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't mention jerky because of salt and I prefer to brush my teeth and floss right after jerky. I forgot about granola.

TommyV10

FNG
Jerky is always in my pack when I go into the field along with granola and trail mix to snack on while glassing, etc.