Hunting in rubber boots(recommendation?)

Hoyt Ag

FNG
The unit in CO I am hunting this year has had an enormous amount of rain this year. Each time we are up there to check cameras, our boots are soaking wet due to the numerous bogs and wet tall grasses. Was thinking of looking into a solid rubber boot to hunt in this year. We plan on being 5-7 miles back so not too far if I need to run to the truck and get my regular hiking boots if the rubber ones do not work out. Ive never guided someone nor used them while elk hunting but having soaked boots for 7 days is not something I want to endure. Just tossing the idea around and seeing if anyone has ever done it and can recommend a good pair. Thanks in advance and straight shooting for all of you this year!

I wear Lacrosse rubber boots almost everyday and have for the past 13 years at work. They can work and be good to move around in, but I wouldn't want to hike up a mountain in them. I would just waterproof your boots really well and dry them out every evening if thats a option. I definitely wouldn't want them in the places I was in Montana.

11boo

WKR
Someone else may know better, cause I’ve never worn them. Ran into some guys from back East on the trail. They all had those whitetail kinda rubber boots off, and were trying to bandage up some blisters. Looked ugly, but they had just come out of a nasty deep drainage.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I would never wear rubber boots to do anything more than 100 yards from the truck. However last year I saw a pudgy man in his mid 50’s hunting elk at 12,000’ 4 miles in and 2500’ up from the trailhead with a pair of regular old rubber boots so what do I know.

schuy2147

FNG
I'd look into a good set of Pac boots. If any of my hunts take me back west, into the mountains, or Alaska, I'd probably look into a set of these myself. Don't have much need for em on the east coast. I personally wear a pair Muck Snake Boots all season.

Buzby

WKR
Most “rubber” boots suck. You want a boot made from natural rubber. That’s what the Brit’s wear, and with the rain they get they need good “wellies.” LeChameau, or Gum Leaf are the brands to get. I have a pair of leather lined LeChameaus that I use grouse hunting. Super comfortable. I’ve had them for 3 seasons, a lot of miles, and they look brand new.

I use rubber Lacrosse boots to hunt hogs here in GA. I would not even consider hunting in them out west. They're not terrible, but no ankle support, no breathability, lots of sweat, no real warmth in cold weather. They work pretty well for day hunts splashing through creeks, but I have to periodically take them off and let my feet dry out. I do lots of taping my feet as well due to all of the sweating, which promotes hot spots.

I've worn various brands/types of rubber boots, insulated vs. non-insulated, for whitetails and pheasants in the fall and winter. IME, with the proper size, modern ankle fit rubber boots are fully capable, and I've put hundreds of miles in them without issues in upland and rolling country. That being said, I would never wear them in the steep, uneven, and rocky terrrain we hunted in NW MT last year.

For one thing, even the uninsulated ones are very heavy compared to a hiking boot. Another downside is that on a long and arduous hike, your feet will sweat them out inside, and without a boot dryer that reaches all the way into the toe box, they don't dry out quickly. On a 7 day hunt they may never get dry inside. If you put them too close to the fire you risk melting them and then you've defeated the point anyways. Lastly they don't offer the support and confident connection to the ground that a quality hiking boot provides. Again, on steep and loose terrain that could be uncomfortable as well as dangerous.

To reduce cost and weight i've gone to uninsulated Lacrosse original Burly's. I go up one half size for thicker socks with more cushion and warmth. I know a lot of guys that have transitioned to neoprene Muck boots. I've never tried them, but they say their good. However, they're definitely pricey.

Macintosh

WKR
I hunt in rubber boots a lot, probably wear mine 250 days a year between hunting and running the dog and off-season scouting. We have a lot of hilly swampy areas, crossing small streams and bogs, etc and rubber boots are great in that. I do a lot of bird-hunting, often the best shooting lane through an alder thicket is IN the water, so rubber boots help a lot. I regularly put in 10+ mile days in nasty stuff in them, blisters are not an issue any more so than with other boots--that's a foot issue or a fit issue if you ask me. However, in steeper terrain most rubber boots suck--any kind of a side hill and the soles will roll under your foot, they're just too soft. You have to wear them too tight to get good footing in that kind of terrain. The best I have found are the super $$$$$ Le Chameau's previously mentioned--the leather lined and totally uninsulated version are much more secure on your foot than the type that uses neoprene inside, as well as lasting much longer. They also feel drier and grip your foot better so less "roll" on side-hills and less heel-lift than other rubber boots. I got sick of other rubber boots cracking on the creases and wearing holes in the heel-neoprene inside, and tried a pair of these, and 20 years later I'm on on my third pair. I wear them bird hunting as mentioned, and I also wear them tracking in the snow in pretty steep terrain, as well as everyday scouting and dog work. I wouldn't buy them if you need insulation, nor would I buy them for occasional use unless you aren't scared of the price tag, but if you'll use your rubber boots a lot, especially in steeper terrain, I can't recommend them enough. That said, I havent run across many places in the rockies or west, outside of alaska, where I'd bring my rubber boots instead of leather. I'm sure those places are out there, but...

DonJuan14

FNG
Hunt in Xtratuffs with no issues. I wouldn't count on hiking more than a few miles but they work just fine.

BDRam16

WKR
Have you tried using a waterproof gaiter? Should definitely help mitigate the water issue for most of the boot if worn properly.

S.Clancy

WKR
I elk hunted with a guy that would wear Muck boots when it was really wet. He would hike everywhere with them, 2000' climbs, sidehill, whatever. He was also an ex-ski racer and one of the toughest (from an exercise perspective) SOB's I've ever met. I would just go full grain leather with gaiters.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
An uninsulated Schnee's pac might work; I use my insulated ones late season and it's not unusual to put 10-15 miles (and a couple thousand feet of gain/loss) up and down mountains in a day.

These aren't you're typical sloppy fitting pacs, you can hike like crazy with them.

One hint, in addition to waterproofing them thoroughly, use Seam Seal all around the stitching (connects the leather upper to the rubber bottom)- do this before you waterproof the upper. This makes them essentially waterproof and with the their taller pacs, you can leave the gaiters home.