Hunting in the wind...not a breeze..,but wind

Pwells10

WKR
Dad drew a top 3 deer tag here in Idaho. (First time ever) it's howling...up to 50mph gusts. How do deer fair in this? We are still going out no matter what. I'm guessing they won't be moving. Just want to hear other inputs.

They find the out of the way quiet spots and bed there. So find the spots that are out of the wind and glass

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wind is like any storm, they just get out of it. And like any storm, it has advantages and disadvantages (like post above says). Good luck! Can't wait to see his pics.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel your pain. The wind here in Idaho has been horrible. We just got back from basically trashing two tents from the wind. Ultra light means ultra less durable.........
But we stuck it out and had a great hunt nonetheless.

Randy

cgasner1

WKR
Sucks with weather that bad I pretty much get myself into the nasty spot and look into the spot you’d rather be you’ll find deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you may find them down low in creek beds, and on the lee side of the mountains. When it’s windy I walk more to glass into low gulleys and pockets that are out of the wind, instead of sitting in one glassing spot. You can get away with more noise walking with the wind to cover your sound.

In the high country I’ve found them bedded in thick stands of jack pines when it was gusting 50-60. Pretty amazing how much those trees will cut down on the wind.

I was hunting a place I hunt pretty much yearly. the area is part of a migration route. It was very warm for the time of year, and the deer were far and few between. Typically during warm weather the deer were bedded on the north and east facing slopes. I had a buddy I took with me, as he was fairly new to hunting. We were unable to find anything we wanted to pull the trigger on. We had been hunting hard for several days out of a basecamp we packed in about 5 miles. Then during the night while eating dinner the winds out of the north picked up. Well, much more than picked up; 40 to 60 mile per hour winds with gusts stronger. The winds out of the north up there, that time of year, mean very cold winds. It went from daytime highs in the low 80's to below freezing. I told my buddy I had a plan. We were going to get up extra early and make a 4 mile hike in the dark (knowing a place has serous advantages). I took him to a smally canyon that is sheltered from the north winds. We got to the exact spot I wanted to be in, and waited for the sun to rise. We had every single piece of clothing we had with us on, and that 35 to 40 minute wait for the sun to sprinkle a little light into the sky seemed like an eternity is the sub freezing temps as our location was not exactly out of the wind. The bedding area however was. We sat glassing for about 2 hours when I finally spotted a buck get up, feed for a bit and the rebed out of sight. Then another, and another and another, all rebedding out of sight. Finally, a 4x4 and a 3x4 get up and continue feeding. I have my partner set up and ready to shoot, as I am. I tell him to take the 4x4 and I wait for what seems like forever with ampel excellent shot opportunity. Finally, I hear the report of his rifle. Only problem is he wanted me to take the 4x4, but he did not tell me. He shot the 3x4 I was aiming at and ready to shoot. The 4x4 is now doing about 90+ down the canyon. I pick him up in my scope, adjust for a slight lead and pull the trigger. He goes down but is out of sight at the bottom of the canyon. I wait for him to pop out and he never does. Long story short, we both got some nice bucks.

My point here is that you need to consider conditions and be willing to adjust plans and areas you hunt, on the fly based on conditions.

Best of luck!

Sounds like you got some great advise already, my experience this weekend was similar with gusts maybe topping at 40mph. Unfortunately the area I was hunting only had shelter from the wind In thick timber and anything that was worth glassing and hunting was being well blown out. Same story as above I’m sure and the deer were held inside the timber as I saw zero life or fresh sign in the areas I was hoping to catch them and had seen them before. Good luck to your dad!

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
On the open prairie I love hunting the wind. It greatly reduces the areas that deer are going to bed in, and you can get away with any noise. I could see how it would be frustrating in the mountains though as there are many more places that deer can get out of the wind

BluMtn

WKR
Could not hunt Saturday morning but went out to visit some friends that were hunting in the afternoon. All private found so no looky lous. I drive by about 60 head of mulies bedded in the wheat fields about 600 yards from the road. Nice 4 pt bedded with them. Wind is rattling about 40 at that time. Visit my friends and they both had tagged out so I told them I would come in in the morning on Sunday and look for that 4 pt. Came in early on Sunday and the winds were shifting from about 40 to a little over 50 and raining like you were in a car wash. Finally found him in the afternoon but could only get to 435 yards with a cross wind of about 45. I will wait till Tuesday of Wednesday and try it again. He is not going anywhere so I will let the wind die down. I hate the wind. Makes my ears hurt.