Hunting license question

maine

FNG
Bit of a noob question, please excuse me. I’m trying to hunt deer and/or elk next year in either Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho for the first time. I’d like to enter the drawing for all 3 states, but the tags are around $1000 each for nonresidents. Say for example I get drawn in all 3 states, but decide to hunt only in Montana. Am I stuck paying that $1000 license fee for all 3 states? Or does the license fee not need to be paid at the time of application?

wytx

WKR
Wyoming will not refund your license unless you have a real issue , like injury or other hardship before the season. If you draw plan to have to keep your Wyoming license and use it.
You could donate it to a disabled person or veteran too but still have to pay for it.

Rich M

WKR
Why would you expect to return a license? They are a buy it and you own it kinda thing.

Never in 45 seasons have i heard of folks returning a license for $. Someone dies, you either hunt or go bury em, no options.

Nor should there be.

KurtR

WKR
Why would you expect to return a license? They are a buy it and you own it kinda thing.

Never in 45 seasons have i heard of folks returning a license for $. Someone dies, you either hunt or go bury em, no options.

Nor should there be.
I mean states have returned tag draws so either you haven’t paid much attention in 45 seasons or they just started it this year……

def90

WKR
Colorado:

1. Application fees, the $11.50 Habitat Stamp fee, qualifying licenses and preference point fees are nonrefundable.

2. If you drew a license you would like to return, payment for the license is still required first. You can then return it for a refund OR preference point restoration. You must relinquish your license AND carcass tag at least 30 days before opening day of the season for which the license is valid.
▶ License must be accompanied by a completed request form obtained at a CPW location or our website. Most refunds are subject to a $15 processing fee. Preference points are reinstated to a pre-draw level. You do NOT receive an additional preference point for 2023.
▶ Refund requests must be postmarked at least 30 DAYS before opening day of the season for which the license is valid and mailed to CPW, attn: Refund Office, 6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216. A license cannot be recovered once it has been returned along with a refund or preference point restoration request form to CPW.

3. Once there are fewer than 30 days until the season starts, refunds or preference point restorations are limited to extreme medical circumstances involving the license holder or a license holder's immediate family member, death of the license holder or death of the license holder’s immediate family member, members of the U.S. military whose service prevented them from requesting a refund or reinstatement on time, or jury duty which overlaps with the season dates on the license.
▶ These requests must be accompanied by evidence that precluded the license holder from being able to make their request 30 days or more from season start.
▶ Customers with an extreme medical circumstance will need to fill out the Extreme Medical Exception request form. Find instructions online: cpw.info/refunds

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to hunt good tags, you're gonna have to accept some risk of drawing multiple tags. Even multiple tags with conflicting dates. Use the withdraw/return rules and app deadlines to your advantage when you can. But you're just going to have to take the risk if you want to keep your name in all the hats.

I have MANY conflicts that could happen every year. Some that would be very expensive and unresolvable if I hit multiple long shot draws.

But only once have I been caught in a pinch. I had to go harvest two NR trophy tags with overlapping and limited dates. Left one unit to go hunt a 4 day tag in another state. Then, back to first state to get that bull killed also. It was horrible. I hope it happens again.

Learn your draw odds - don't be stupid with gimme type tag draws. The conflicts I'm referring to are probably 100+ conflicts, but most of the tags are well under 1% draw odds. And all sub 5%.

Montana- front full tag fee to apply, if drawn, can return for 80% refund

Idaho- Do not have to front entire tag fee, if drawn can return for 25-50% refund, depending how fast results come out. Will not refund license fee.

Wyoming- front full tag fee, can withdraw pretty late, might not matter depending on when MT/ID draw results come out. No refunds

Rich M

WKR
I mean states have returned tag draws so either you haven’t paid much attention in 45 seasons or they just started it this year……
We're from different worlds - you've been turning permits back for 45 years and I been hunting mostly OTC for 45 years - buy a license and hunt states. I can still go to VT/NH/ME/NY/GA/SC/NC/MD/etc... and hunt bear or deer or whatever with OTC tag.

We both didn't think of the other side.

I grew up hunting with a guy who was really good at cancelling - why bother if yer just gonna change yer mind and cancel? Yes - chit happens, just not nearly as much as some make it seem.

KurtR

WKR
We're from different worlds - you've been turning permits back for 45 years and I been hunting mostly OTC for 45 years - buy a license and hunt states. I can still go to VT/NH/ME/NY/GA/SC/NC/MD/etc... and hunt bear or deer or whatever with OTC tag.

We both didn't think of the other side.

I grew up hunting with a guy who was really good at cancelling - why bother if yer just gonna change yer mind and cancel? Yes - chit happens, just not nearly as much as some make it seem.
never turned a tag back. This question was about drawing multiple tags and not about canceling on somebody.

If he would have said I’m applying with buddies in one state then on my own in two others. If I draw two tags is it ok to cancel on my buddies that’s a different story.

OP
M

maine

FNG

Nor should there be.
Because if the draw odds are 50 or 60% in Montana, I will apply to 1 or two other states to improve the chances of getting A tag. Then I could refund if I got multiple tags in different states, and I could just focus on one state for my first year hunting elk

OP
M

maine

FNG
If you want to hunt good tags, you're gonna have to accept some risk of drawing multiple tags. Even multiple tags with conflicting dates. Use the withdraw/return rules and app deadlines to your advantage when you can. But you're just going to have to take the risk if you want to keep your name in all the hats.

I have MANY conflicts that could happen every year. Some that would be very expensive and unresolvable if I hit multiple long shot draws.

But only once have I been caught in a pinch. I had to go harvest two NR trophy tags with overlapping and limited dates. Left one unit to go hunt a 4 day tag in another state. Then, back to first state to get that bull killed also. It was horrible. I hope it happens again.

Learn your draw odds - don't be stupid with gimme type tag draws. The conflicts I'm referring to are probably 100+ conflicts, but most of the tags are well under 1% draw odds. And all sub 5%.
Thanks for the advice this is helpful

OP
M

maine

FNG
Montana- front full tag fee to apply, if drawn, can return for 80% refund

Idaho- Do not have to front entire tag fee, if drawn can return for 25-50% refund, depending how fast results come out. Will not refund license fee.

Wyoming- front full tag fee, can withdraw pretty late, might not matter depending on when MT/ID draw results come out. No refunds
Thank you!