Hunting Logged Areas 3rd Season

Hey everyone, I have a 3rd season cow tag and my hunting partner has a bull tag for the same time and unit. We'll have deer tags also. The area I'm hunting has multiple logged areas around 10k ft. A lot of the areas are 8-9 years old and some are only 3 years old. When we scouted the 3-4 year old logged areas we were surprised to see a lack new growth. Is this common? There are some smaller shrubs, but not as much as I expected.

There is also an older logged area around 9k ft that has a lot more grass with pine trees about 10-12 ft tall and unlogged aspen stands nearby. Finally there is a lot of BLM around 8-9k ft, which I haven't had a chance to scout.

We saw some sign in all of the areas last week, but nothing that screamed "hunt here!" I know the answer is to try to get up there and scout the week before, but I have a four month old boy and planning a 5 day hunt took some convincing with the wife. I'm not going to ask for more scouting days haha.

I guess I'm wondering if you were trying to decide which area to start the hunt in, which would you pick and why? Thanks for any feedback.

RO1459

FNG
You don't mention which state you will be hunting in. However, I believe most of the western states are having a low rain year, so I would be hunting any cut-over area that has water for the elk. I always look for grassy areas in cut-over areas more so than small trees. Also, during the 3rd season, you can usually expect to have moderate snowfall. This in many cases drives the elk to lower feeding areas that have good hiding areas as well as good water sources. Good luck with your hunt. BTW...I will also be hunting the 3rd season in Colorado and will be watching the weather very closely. If we get a heavy snowfall. I will be hunting in the 9,000 ft areas. If not, then I will be moving up into the 10,000 ft areas. I have been following this plan for 40 years and have taken 20 elk. Again best of luck in your hunt.

OP
W
Thanks for the feedback. We’ll be hunting Colorado. It’s definitely been a dry year, but it seems like temperatures are starting to drop. I’m hoping we get some snow soon.