hunting low density vs high density elk

Sled

WKR
i've never had the experience of hunting elk country that is well populated. that hasn't stopped me from getting elk every year but they come at quite the time investment sometimes. this archery season i'm thinking of putting time into areas that have greater populations and taking spike/cow. these areas will give me more exposure to the elk no doubt but they are also more populated by people too. so i'm curious how you hunt these areas differently from low elk density areas? the low density spots i'm familiar with i've had success with spot and stalk, still hunting and trail ambush. spot and stalk has been the most fun but not always realistic in thicker terrain. most of these higher density elk areas are also dense with vegetation between open slopes. that gives an option for spotting early and late but make the stalk difficult, especially if everyone else can see the elk too. so that leaves me with attempting to pattern and ambush or still hunt in areas elk frequent. bulls will be off limits so bugling may produce exciting encounters with both 4 and 2 legged creatures. lite cow calling might be productive however. any thoughts from the colorado crowd that deals with this regularly?

JakeL

FNG
i've never had the experience of hunting elk country that is well populated. that hasn't stopped me from getting elk every year but they come at quite the time investment sometimes. this archery season i'm thinking of putting time into areas that have greater populations and taking spike/cow. these areas will give me more exposure to the elk no doubt but they are also more populated by people too. so i'm curious how you hunt these areas differently from low elk density areas? the low density spots i'm familiar with i've had success with spot and stalk, still hunting and trail ambush. spot and stalk has been the most fun but not always realistic in thicker terrain. most of these higher density elk areas are also dense with vegetation between open slopes. that gives an option for spotting early and late but make the stalk difficult, especially if everyone else can see the elk too. so that leaves me with attempting to pattern and ambush or still hunt in areas elk frequent. bulls will be off limits so bugling may produce exciting encounters with both 4 and 2 legged creatures. lite cow calling might be productive however. any thoughts from the colorado crowd that deals with this regularly?
Thick timber can be tough if your used to more open country. Spot and stalk could still work but it will be really slow moving once your close in thick timber. I would pattern them if I were you. And then set up in the open area they frequent either in the morning Or in the evening. It also depends on the time of year. Late hunts will be way easier for the spot and stalk method.

Even in areas where there are high densities of elk and high densities of people, there are always areas that the masses won't go to because they're too far or too much work. That's usually where the high densities of people push the elk to. Ultimately, you have to make your own plan but I seek out areas that are too far and too much work for most people; that also means high altitudes... approaching 12,000'... for sure 11,000 + feet in elevation.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
Well, I did get into that new area and got some experience hunting in it. I spent time glassing, driving, hunting and scouting. What I found out is that elk out here are jumpy, even with a good wind. I hunted elk within a few hundred yards of a sheep herd nearly 1000 strong. I found high density of hunters, sheep and cows. Elk were more spread out than I expected but it was still pre rut.

This year I have a family member with a coveted rifle tag in the rut. I plan to scout during my archery hunt and figure the area out a little better. Having never hunted elk in the rut, this will be a new experience for us. Lots of reading, practice calling and scouting will go into the hunt. Hopefully we have some good experiences to learn from and remember for lifetime. That's about how long it takes to draw a tag now anyway.