Hunting merriam turkey in windy conditions

feanor

WKR
My buddy and I went out turkey hunting here in CO, and sat up on a ridge in the pines that I had scouted and seen turkey 48 hours earlier. We set up around 530 am. It was blowing wind across the ridge the whole morning and we couldnt hear much. We dropped in a couple draws to call and see if we could hear, but still nothing. What are your recommendations for conditions like this? Call it a day? Try to wait it out? Any advice would be appreciated.

Austink47

WKR
That is when I look for a nice place to take a nap, somewhere warm and out of the wind. Get comfortable, practice your calling and stay put. You don’t have to hear them for them to hear you.

Jimss

WKR
Sometimes you can do just as much harm as good hiking to find shy turkeys in areas where you can't see long distances to spot and stalk silent birds. You may blow them out of the area if they are already spooked by the wind. I've used Austink's tactic of setting up and calling a number of times and it has worked out.

Moehunt

FNG
I will hunt lee side slopes and sheltered openings. If I can glass from a distance I will and then sneak in using veg and terrain.

Mt Al

WKR
Even though I'm not the OP, thank you for the replies. I'm a rookie turkey hunter, found a decent spot that is known for being windy most of the time. Last time I went the wind was mach jillion. I stayed put and saw hens walking around here and there most of the day, no Toms but there must be some.

Moehunt

FNG
Sounds like you are in the right place. Also using a good friction call like a box or slate seems to reach out a little better in the wind. If I’m confident in my spot I will yelp once or twice every half hour or so and wait.