Hunting Migration?

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I have always hunted Sept and early October for elk and mule deer. Due to scheduling this year I'm thinking about just doing a 2nd or 3rd combo season deer tag in Nov (prob southern half of CO). I realize this time of year is very weather/snow dependent, but also other animals migrate on there own due to normal timing, and some just stay in sanctuaries as long as possible.

So when I hear people saying when it starts snowing and animals are coming out of the mountains. What type of topography are you focusing on during these migration events? Are you hunting just normal good glassing spots. Heavy trails on open side slopes, drainages, ridges, saddles? Timber edges, ag edges, Other? I assume if there is snow you can glass/ find fresh trails & routes.

If it's not a weather related migration, do most animals move through migration areas at night or do you still find animals moving sporadically during the day? Or do you just look for sanctuaries and wait for weather?

I figure once they are on the winter grounds, it's back to finding areas of undisturbed food/water or ladies (depending on rut).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Taudisio

WKR
This is very dependent on the current and past weather. Are you hunting during the snow? A day after it snowed? A week? How heavy was the snow? I know this doesn’t help you 8 months early. But, I start high and keep track of what I’m seeing. Continue lower and keep track. Then really focus on where I’m seeing the highest number of animals. The mature buck are either with the ladies at this point, or still up higher above the majority. I’ve seen bachelor herds of elk, and giant herds during this time. My biggest suggestion is don’t be afraid to be mobile. And don’t leave elk to find elk.

OP
Dave_

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
This is very dependent on the current and past weather. Are you hunting during the snow? A day after it snowed? A week? How heavy was the snow? I know this doesn’t help you 8 months early. But, I start high and keep track of what I’m seeing. Continue lower and keep track. Then really focus on where I’m seeing the highest number of animals. The mature buck are either with the ladies at this point, or still up higher above the majority. I’ve seen bachelor herds of elk, and giant herds during this time. My biggest suggestion is don’t be afraid to be mobile. And don’t leave elk to find elk.
Thanks! True, I know there are a tons of variables. Just trying to proritze my strategy depending on what the weather might do. I do plan to be very mobile, I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket.

I will also add I'll be solo this year and I'm fairly familiar with the units I'm looking at. Ive hunted them in the past, just never this late.

I've hunted Colorado in Early November a couple times and didn't find elk and deer in the same areas. I know that isn't a hard fact but it's something to consider.

OP
Dave_

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted Colorado in Early November a couple times and didn't find elk and deer in the same areas. I know that isn't a hard fact but it's something to consider.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I'll only be deer hunting. It's just during that 2nd or 3rd deer/elk combined season.

Keep on the move, find the does and you'll find the bucks. Don't get hung up in one spot too long. Bucks will be on the move and you should be too.

If you find a buck you like shoot him. Rutting Bucks are often hard to find twice as they're traveling constantly looking for love. If you pass a good buck it might be really difficult to find him again and he'll likely be dead given the number of tags these days.

Taudisio

WKR
Sorry, I should have clarified. I'll only be deer hunting. It's just during that 2nd or 3rd deer/elk combined season.

Ah well that’s about half of the advice I gave. The guy above also gave some solid advice!

OP
Dave_

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
If I find elk holed up in a spot I can pack one out I might go buy an otc tag, but not my intended focus as of now.

I figured 2nd season ( Oct. 28-Nov. 5) would be too early for many mature bucks to be rutting. 3rd season maybe a few would be starting up...

OP
Dave_

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Bump. I'll ask a more general question, if folks don't want to give up specific features.

In your experience, have you typically observed migrating mulies or rutting bucks following natural geographic corridors or just bee-lining it to wherever they want to go?

Taudisio

WKR
Bump. I'll ask a more general question, if folks don't want to give up specific features.

In your experience, have you typically observed migrating mulies or rutting bucks following natural geographic corridors or just bee-lining it to wherever they want to go?

Both. From my past experience and no scientific data, bigger bucks seem to stay near-ish to cover and ridges until they get into close proximity of the does where they just go willy nilly. Does and small bucks seem to beeline. I have seen does hug cover and I have caught bucks where their face looks like “oh sh!t”. Once a buck really gets on a hot doe, his brain and sense of awareness goes out the window.

Colorado hunting atlas for migration routes. From what I have seen the deer will use all different types of terrain while migrating. Ridges, hillsides, creek bottoms, wherever. Start somewhere along the migration path with a good vantage point and if you aren't seeing a lot of deer then move up or down the corridor until you do start to see them. Generally, the later the season the farther down the corridor they'll be.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
If it's not a weather related migration, do most animals move through migration areas at night or do you still find animals moving sporadically during the day?

I figure once they are on the winter grounds, it's back to finding areas of undisturbed food/water or ladies (depending on rut).

Anybody have experience with this part of the OP's post? Or are they bedded for the day.

Say for example, finding a remote canyon with signs that animals have been using that migration corridor. And either close range ambushing or glassing from a vantage point. And I know the truest answer is "it depends", but curious if anyone has had success doing this.