Hunting Mule deer in SE Montana

Lato1987

FNG
Hey Guys!

I have been hunting SE Montana for Mule Deer for a few years now. I was wondering if anyone has noticed if the lack of rain / weather has changed things?

WCB

WKR
Not limited to SE MT but hunting Wyoming this year and ND for deer and also MT for Elk. There are feed and water issues which has in some areas changed how or where the animals are using it.

Sister lives in MT always a ton of deer on their ranch but was very slim pickings all summer into mid oct. They got some weather and the deer showed up in mass to where they typically rut and winter on their ranch.

not sure if that helps but short answer would be yes in some areas it has changed things.

BluMtn

WKR
Not limited to SE MT but hunting Wyoming this year and ND for deer and also MT for Elk. There are feed and water issues which has in some areas changed how or where the animals are using it.

Sister lives in MT always a ton of deer on their ranch but was very slim pickings all summer into mid oct. They got some weather and the deer showed up in mass to where they typically rut and winter on their ranch.

not sure if that helps but short answer would be yes in some areas it has changed things.
Asking for a friend, can I have your sisters address? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Dirtbag

WKR
I just got back from SE montana and had a very challenging but good hunt.I spoke to the local warden prior to the hunt and he mentioned the few years of drought, CWD, and EHD has had a effect on numbers and patterns. I noticed a lot of deer congregated along the river bottoms where there is more ample forage and very few deer in other areas. Much of the BLM did not have great forage and water sources. Deer were found on parcels with far access from roads and where stock tanks were present.

BuzzH

WKR
I just got back from SE montana and had a very challenging but good hunt.I spoke to the local warden prior to the hunt and he mentioned the few years of drought, CWD, and EHD has had a effect on numbers and patterns. I noticed a lot of deer congregated along the river bottoms where there is more ample forage and very few deer in other areas. Much of the BLM did not have great forage and water sources. Deer were found on parcels with far access from roads and where stock tanks were present.
No mention of lead poisoning and FWP mismanagement? Convenient.

OP
L

Lato1987

FNG
Thanks for the Info!

406life

Lil-Rokslider
The ranch and BLM that I hunt each fall have good numbers and buck size seems to be increasing. I haven't seen/heard about EHD around the area. I've not had a deer test positive for CWD yet either. Given the number of animals we take in the area each year, I'd say we have a decent sample size. I see things projecting upward.

Duckboy23

FNG
On my way home now from SE Montana, and I can tell you that the ranch we hunt has seen some very negative effects from the drought. From the ranch owner, it's the worst he's seen in years. We normally see 15-20 doe's a day with numerous small bucks to look over. This year, in 7 days, we saw 8-10 bucks total with only one being a shooter. Now this is for mule deer. Whitetail on the other hand were prolific in the couple of creek bottoms on the property, and were happy to do some heard management for the land owner as he's not a fan of them!

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I also just returned from SE MT. I'd estimate a 50% herd reduction, just based on what I've seen. I found around a dozen skeletons I would likely attribute to EHD. I also found several deadheads, with velvet on, all small bucks. I spoke with a few of the FWP game checkers over there and a lot of bucks coming in with testicles undersized/missing. I really wonder what this winter, spring recruitment, and the summer fall will come together to look like for 2022. I fear it will take some time to recover.

Frank Thomas can fix the low T those bucks are experiencing.

This thing's gonna get worse before it gets a little bit better but won't ever fully recover due to shitty management in MT. Wyoming actually does the right thing most of the time. Hat tip to them.
The deer are going to enter this winter with poor body condition/health from poor nutrition all year. Winter mortality and fawn recruitment will suck, holding populations down for future years. Deer that have moved toward the rivers and private due to drought will stay in those areas with better feed and water for the foreseeable future, creating an extended period of crappy conditions for hunters. The state (MT) and private land outfitters will pull a Brandon and find a way to eff it up even more b/c that's what they do.

Happy hunting

archp625

WKR
The ranch and BLM that I hunt each fall have good numbers and buck size seems to be increasing. I haven't seen/heard about EHD around the area. I've not had a deer test positive for CWD yet either. Given the number of animals we take in the area each year, I'd say we have a decent sample size. I see things projecting upward.
What part of the state is this ranch? NE. SE, NW, SW

OP
L

Lato1987

FNG
Just got back from my trip! It was a great time! There were alot of other hunters, but putting in the extra time and energy paid off. Deer numbers seemed consistent with the previous years i have been out there. Thanks everyone for their helpful info!

Last edited:

BH107

FNG
I hunted 12 days in SE Montana this season. There were lots of factors that hurt this season and drought was only one of them. The very mild fall meant the deer didn’t have to move much. We did see some late rutting but most of the does still had small bucks with them.

whitetails on the other hand have been obliterated by EHD. Several ranch owners I talked to were finding them by the dozens. Another friend hunts his uncles ranch and where they normally see hundreds they had less than a dozen.

This year I cut up one of the fattest does SE, skinniest mature bull SE, one thin buck from central Montana, and one fat buck from SE. I agree that deer and elk were scattered until cool weather showed up. Animal numbers were lower and antler growth was somewhat down, overall. The management and the flow of people from the western side of the state on general tags is rough. What they are planning with the privatization proposals will be worse.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I also just returned from SE MT. I'd estimate a 50% herd reduction, just based on what I've seen. I found around a dozen skeletons I would likely attribute to EHD. I also found several deadheads, with velvet on, all small bucks. I spoke with a few of the FWP game checkers over there and a lot of bucks coming in with testicles undersized/missing. I really wonder what this winter, spring recruitment, and the summer fall will come together to look like for 2022. I fear it will take some time to recover.
Sounds like you found the non binary deer who identified as weak lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Westman

FNG
Sounds like next years hunt is going to be tough too. Are conditions just as bad across the border into Wyoming also? We hunt the black hills just south of the border and EHD is likely there too, yeah?

WCB

WKR
Sounds like next years hunt is going to be tough too. Are conditions just as bad across the border into Wyoming also? We hunt the black hills just south of the border and EHD is likely there too, yeah?
That area had spotty kill offs and where it did it was BAD...

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda worried about my upcoming hunt in SE MT. Outfitter said it was a tough hunt last year. I saw they got some snow/rain in Forsyth yesterday, so maybe this is the start of something good.
I know people have said it’s been a fairly mild winter this year. And with EHD killing many whitetails perhaps the mule deer can get more feed.
Has the mild winter helped the deer recover to have good body condition? Do you guys think with some spring rain things can turn around for good antler growth?

Scottf270

WKR
Lack of older age class bucks worries me more than any drought conditions. Deer will move many miles to good feed and water. All the food and water in the world will never make a young buck into an instant trophy.