Hunting off your back

Who here backcountry hunts with their entire camp/gear on their back and just sets up at night where they end up? Also, what gear do you consider essential in doing so?

Jimss

WKR
I've tried what you said and would much rather backpack in a ways and set up a spike camp that I hunt from each day. If your pack weighs much more than 40 lbs you'll likely find that it's impossible to hunt quietly and effectively with a pack on your pack. Most of the elk spots I hunt are super rugged and I can't glass/still hunt with my pack on. It's a real pain in the rear trying to hunt quietly with a pack on....through brush, crossing logs, downed timber, rock, cliffs, etc. I usually hunt relatively close to my spike camp so there's usually no problem hiking back to it in the dark or close to dark (make sure you have a GPS!). I can also cover A LOT more country without a heavy, bulky pack on my back.

If you want to try something like this I would do a trial run in the summer time with a load similar to what you would carry while hunting. There is a HUGE learning curve to this style of hunting and most end in failure! It's possible to pack in a relatively comfortable spike camp but if you are hunting with your camp on back you will be need to cut WAY back on what you bring. It can be somewhat dangerous if you don't have the necessary gear! Obviously the tougher the weather (cold, snow, etc) the more clothes and gear you will likely need.

I hunt this way sometimes. Like Jim stated, you have to cut back on a lot of gear and go very light if you don't want it to be a suffer-fest. Then its still a suffer-fest in that you have few if any luxuries. I don't actually hunt with the pack on (but did kill an elk one year with my full pack on when I bumped into them in the woods while hiking). A mobile camp has been a real difference maker on a few of my past hunts.

Geez I have been trying to explain this to other hunters I run into at school and it is a hard one because most people that do hunt tend to have the typical "second season rifle deer hunt" that takes place not far from the truck. I should say that there is nothing wrong with that but I belive it makes it hard for them to think about gear differently due to the inevitable space issue that backcountry hunters/enthusiasts run into. The following are not to be thought of as a hierarchy, from top to bottom, but as all of these on the same level and under these we can place other things.

When I first started getting into the backcountry scene I wish I would have made it a bigger priority to get a top of the line backpack. This is easier said than done , lets be honest, most of us don't like the idea of dropping money on a pack, waiting for it to arrive, testing it out and hoping that you are adjusting it correctly to only have to send it back to get the refund so you can order a different pack. When you consider shipping to and from and the multiple packs that you will be trying it becomes easy to see how it could take several months to be able to say "I have tried 4 different packs and ____ is the best for me!". Even after saying all this I implore anyone that is thinking about this to buy as nice a pack as they can for 2 reasons. First, you are going to have all of your stuff on your back everyday of your trip. With the wrong pack you may very well never entertain the idea of a backcountry hunt ever again. Secondly, say you do not like the whole backpacking thing, upon selling time you will get more money back for a top of the line pack than you would for a cheaper one. e.g selling a Kifaru "5 day pack" vs selling a Badlands "5 day pack"

Next in my line of "essentialness" will be footwear and foot care. Most people talk about boots in the standard single boot system but don't disregard the idea of bringing in two sets of footwear if you need it. I bring in my Zamberlan 960 Guide GT RR Hiking Boots and a set of trail running shoes to wear when I know I need to let my boots dry out. The same ideology can be applied to the boots as was the pack, I will be spending a lot of time on my feet so the better be supported. Also, to be able to really try on and test multiple boots will be a logistical feat but not nearly as hard as the packs. I recommend using REI because they have a very lenient return policy but more importantly a MASSIVE selection. It should be noted that the don't support hunters in anyway, so be mindful if you are the kind that considers things like that when it comes to where they spend their hard earned money. I also recommend Argali for their support in hunters and the field testing they do on the things they sell. I do not know how they are on returning boots but this is the policy from the website.
Argali Return Policy
If you aren't happy with your gear, we aren't happy. It's that simple. Everything we sell is backed by our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. We only sell gear and equipment that we have field tested, and if you are unhappy for any reason email or call us to let us know why and we will do our best to take care of you.
Return any unopened, undamaged product within 45 days for a full refund, no questions asked. Customer is responsible for return shipping cost.
Return an opened, undamaged product within 30 days with all tags still on it for a full refund. No questions asked. Customer is responsible for return shipping cost.

Last but not least in my line of "essentialness" is going to be food/water. Water is just identifying your water needs and or situation. The food you bring in can add a huge amount of unneeded weight to your trailhead weight (how much the backpack weights when you start hunting ). Because everyone is different and we all seek a different experience when we do hunt it is very important for you to understand how you consider food. Is your food gonna be fun or is your food going to be fuel MAYBE it's gonna fall somewhere in between. The worst mistake I have ever done on a backpack hunt was not calculate how much fat was in my diet. This led to me craving a cheeseburger at 8,500 ft elevation and made it hard for me to not be in my pissed off pre-snickers bar mood. Fat depletion is a very strong force that will take you off the mountain. Caloric deficit is also a very strong force that will kick you off the mountain. I am coping brady millers stoveless diet this year and it is gonna take out close to 6 lbs off my trailhead weight. To summarize it is a very large calorie dense shake and lots of snacks for the day and a meal bar for dinner. I love my snacks and the F-bomb nut butters are gonna save my ass this year because they are gonna replenish my fat needs.

After these big three I then go in hierarchical order and like everything else in life, its dependant on situations:

weapon
sleeping system
shelter

I hope this helps!

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted with camp on my back a number of times and like the freedom of not being concerned about the hike back to spike camp. It is heavier but depending on the situation the way to go. If still trying to locate the game camp on back if game is located and hope to be in the area a while might drop camp.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ll be doing this for the first time this Fall in 16B NM. Working to reduce pack weight so it’s not miserable, but I’m hoping carrying the extra weight of camp on my back will have some major trade off benefits.

What I’m most looking forward to is not having a 1-3 hour hike/drive back to basecamp at night after legal shooting light ends - AND - I won’t have to repeat that trek in the dark again the next morning. So, even though I’ll be carrying more weight, I’m hoping that I’ll end up reducing the total miles per day by a pretty big number, and hopefully that translates into more stamina and improved mood late in the hunt.

I also hope this means MORE SLEEP! I am perpetually sleep deprived on elk hunts and late in the trip I get cranky and decision making gets foggy, but the deprivation is mostly due to the long trek to and from basecamp. I’m looking forward to getting to bed a lot earlier and sleeping in a lot later in the morning. Maybe I’ll even be able to leisurely eat the rare HOT breakfast instead of a cold granola bar while speed hiking in trying to beat daylight!

You can’t cheat the mountain

Wrench

WKR
I don't have time for that. If I were sheep hunting where I was glassing most of the day....maybe. Elk are up and moving till 9-10 at the very latest. If I'm packing up, drying gear, eating.....yada yada I'm losing time sleeping or hunting.

I tend to set a camp, wear out the area and move if need be....but really, how far are you going to haul an elk?

We have a unit in Washington that requires you be out every day and no overnight stays.

FEW....VERY FEW hunt it all week and very few are repeat hunters.

I'd spend my time setting up camp where I won't blow the whole basin out and work it all day and sleep at night.

But alas, I'm old and have done it a time or two.

Poser

WKR
Wait. Isn’t this method of hunting the primary reason the Rokslide forum exists? You know, Backpack hunting??

It’s ideal to be set up to be entirely mobile for any given day, though, I much prefer to establish a camp and move as needed vs. not have to deal with setting up and especially, packing up in the morning. At a minimum, I prefer to hunt the morning before packing up camp, but the situation ultimately dictates how it goes and the more versatile you are, the better.

Marble

WKR
I'll bd doing thismethod this fall. I normally set a camp in a basin, hunt it for a few days then move. I'm not totally committed to either method. I just wasn't to kill something.

My pack is about 40# with everything in it and enough fluid for a day. Might be able to cut a few pounds but idk..

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I'll do 3 nights max this way. If I'm not getting into elk by night 3, time to find a new area. I hammock camp. Breaking down camp takes 30 mins tops. I'm no where near as tired after hunting this way for 3 days vs having to hike in and out to a campsite everyday.

Werty

WKR
Keep in mind. just because you want too run and gun, doesn't mean that you cant set up a camp if you get into a good area. Good luck. I'm looking to do the same this this September

FlyGuy

WKR
As others have stated, it is not a “requirement” that we relocated camp every night. It doesn’t take more than 30 min to pack up (supertarp & stakes, bag, pad, Tyvek...done), but if we feel we are in the right spot I’m sure we will stay until the feeling changes. Just not going to jump it 6 miles away without bringing camp. Also, planning to have a dry sack camp bag, so when we get to where we are going next we can very quickly drop weight/hang food and keep hunting, then return to set up camp after dark.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Guys, great advice and insight on the "realities" of backpack hunting. I am always trying to learn from other Rocksliders and "tweaking" my methods and gear to be more efficient on the mountain. I usually pack in a few miles and spike it near an area where I can do a "loop" around a basin or two. I'll spend 2-3 days scouting/hunting the area. If no sign, I'll move on to another predetermined spot. This year I'm gonna work on downsizing my pack and bring less clothing and the absolute minimum amount of food.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
I actually like hunting from my back. As mentioned in earlier comments, I do not like having to trek back to a camp at dark after hunting all day and then have to it all over again the next day. I like to keep moving until I find good elk sign or actually see elk. I can set up camp in that area somewhere that isn't going to be intrusive on the elk. Hopefully find a water source nearby and hunt from there a few days. This way you have lightened the load in your pack somewhat and can move around comfortably.

Essentials are a good pack that fits correctly! Do not skimp on the pack.

I run with the Kifaru Timberline 1 pack.
Dan Durston Mid X shelter
Badlands Merino wool base layers.

Are you looking to hook up with a partner for 2019?

I like hunting with camp on my back for a 3 day or less hunt. I feel anymore than 3 days is to heavy and uses a lot of energy and you are not as quite. Being fatigued also lowers your awareness. I usually spike camp anything more than 3 days but may take a day in the middle to move around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt this way some times. It’s pretty great to be able to hunt as late as you want and just camp wherever you feel like stopping. One luxury item I like to carry that doesn’t weigh a lot are crocs. After hiking all day in my boots, it’s nice to air out the feet.

I've hunted like this before. It isn't for everyone. I happen to have a build to carry a decent amount of weight all day without too much of an issue. I would give it a shot and if it doesn't work just start spiking out. My gear list doesnt change if I'm hunting one way or the other. I'm adding crocs to my gear list this year because I'm tired of hot footing around like an idiot while my boots are off at night.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I also bring extra footwear but can't stand Crocs so I bring sandals,and almost always bring a book of some sort...never know when you may get stuck in your tent/shelter due to weather or just not being able to fall asleep.

Jimss

WKR
Just remember if you are hunting with camp on your back that means you are glassing and still hunting with your pack on your back all day long! I have a hard time doing this on level terrain....say nothing for super steep and deep country that elk hang out! I CONSTANTLY glass when I elk hunt and you will find this is nearly impossible standing up with a 40 lb pack on plus carrying a weapon, etc. If you don't believe me you may want to try glassing at home with your pack and rifle or bow on your shoulder. How steady can you hold your binoculars while standing with all this weight on your pack? If it's windy at all it's even tougher to glass. I can't imagine trying to do this for 3 days! Yes I do glass a lot sitting down from high overlooks but I spend just as much time glassing while I am standing up covering country.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Play to your strengths. If you are a bigger guy who can carry more weight, but may move slower or lack the ability to rack up miles this may work for you. I’m 6’0” 160lbs and can hike mile after mile for days on end, but a heavy pack takes its toll on me. I’d rather add mileage in the dark and be able to go anywhere than be slowed by a heavy pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro