Hunting off your back

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still working on my "spike out" system from my spike out location. I mainly hunt the backcountry so I'll usually have camp set up somewhere near our hunting area. However, there are still times when you don't want to bust your ass back to camp or want to be there in the morning and I'd like to have a system where I can spend the night out away if need be. I ALWAYS have a puffy with me and I'm going to get a half bag and should be able to be somewhat comfortable with this setup. I also have a large glassing pad I always carry so I'd be using that under the torso for sleeping. It's doable for a night or so.

Randy

Jimss

WKR
I just spent a couple days sheep scouting with a 25 lb daypack (day scouting from truck). I'm already trying to figure out what clothes and gear I can leave in the truck on my next trip to save weight. As I me tioned before it's really a challenge trying to glass with a pack on....even a light one! I found myself constantly putting on and taking off my pack to glass effectively. Obviously sheep scouting often involves a lot of sitting and glassing but I also cover lots of miles with legs to find the sheep! I constantly glass as I hike. I'm pretty sure most guys would need more than a 40 lbs of gear (including weapon) when hunting? I've done a lot of hunts over the years....and tried bivy hunting 2 times....it just doesn't work for my method of hunting the West.

The bivy deal is super tough even for those with lots of experience! If it works for you....great! I have a feeling that guys that hunt effectively bivy style have gobs of experience and top notch light weight gear? There is one simple way to test it out....head out on a bivy scouting trip this summer and see how long you last! It would be a great way to work out the bugs and quirks. It would give you a good idea which gear you need and which to leave in the truck. Also, what gear to update with lighter stuff. I would also mention that what gear you bring in summer is likely a lot lighter and less bulky than clothes and gear used later for fall conditions.

Wassid82

WKR
Wait. Isn’t this method of hunting the primary reason the Rokslide forum exists? You know, Backpack hunting??

It’s ideal to be set up to be entirely mobile for any given day, though, I much prefer to establish a camp and move as needed vs. not have to deal with setting up and especially, packing up in the morning. At a minimum, I prefer to hunt the morning before packing up camp, but the situation ultimately dictates how it goes and the more versatile you are, the better.

I’ve done it once but found that a spike camp is much better. If you do some Pres outing and have 2-3 places of high probability near your spike camp you maximize your hunting time and increase your chances of tagging out.

Everyone seems to be making them out to be black and white... I do a hybrid!

I hike until I find somewhere with elk or a high probability, hunt until it’s blown out or I want to let the area rest, then move on. You can set up camp after dark, move camp only during midday so you can hunt morning/night, whatever. Just don’t take two backpacks, I made that mistake once. “Hunting off your back” allows you to adapt to whatever the situation is, that’s the beauty.

Best advice I read so far is know yourself: if you’re in great shape and have very light gear, on your back is great. My loadout is under 30 lbs with water and food, but I’ve been backpacking over 20 years (my pack is only 3000 cu/in for 4 days). If you’re new, don’t have really light gear, etc just move camp around during the day instead of hunting with it on your back

Marble

WKR
I'm unsure how I'll do it this season. I may move each day, I may take a break and stay in one drainage. It all depends on what im seeing and hearing. I have the rest of the year to take a break.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
I like to spike then day hunt. I've went in as close as 2 miles and as far as 6. I actually find myself in "ground covering mode" when my pack is full with camp. I don't take near enough time when moving camp from place to place. It's something I need to work on but I like to get into a place and setup then slow things down. Can't wrap my head around moving camp everyday when it takes me a few days to cover ground in my immediate area.

Done both spike & bivy and hauling your gear while hunting all day IS MOST DEFINITELY MORE DIFFICULT AND DRAINING so I reserve that option as a final one and not a preferred one. Had to do this once when it snowed every hour of every day and finding tracks or glassing was impossible. All I could do was keep moving and hope to spot my target. It worked out but damn near killed me. I used a hammock that trip instead of a tent...easier to stay warm in a small cocoon. A hot tent can be nicer though.

Mike S

FNG
Spike camp hunter here. We pretty much hunt the same areas and don't need to move much to find game though.

Over the years we have become more and more mobile just for the simple fact it saves a lot of miles on the boots instead of walking back to base camp every night. I love it. If you go this route spend what your budget can afford on lightweight gear to lower your overall pack weight. Days in the field with too much or heavy gear really makes it less enjoyable and you don't want to put in the miles when your overloaded.