Hunting opportunities in Alaska

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
So, this may seem like a strange question, but I am trying to do my research so that I can better make an informed decision. I may have the opportunity to move up to Anchorage sometime next year for work and am curious exactly how great the hunting opportunities are without needing to own a boat or hire a bush plane? Not that I am opposed to either, but I don't have any experience with the area and thought I'd ask on here.

AKBorn

WKR
If you're motivated and willing to put in the effort, great hunting opportunities are there for the taking without requiring the need for draw tags, boat, or airplane.

I know of some guys over on Hunttalk (not sure he posts on here) who does awesome sheep hunts every year, mostly by hiking in quite a few miles and then starting the hunt. Mind you there is NOTHING easy about it, but it can be done with enough determination and some fitness.

Hopefully Nick Muche will chime in at some point, you have seen many of his successful bowhunting efforts on this forum.

I believe that you can hunt moose, caribou, black bear, and many types of small game even before you earn your residency. Once you become a resident, solid opportunities exist for grizzly bear and dall sheep - if you are willing to put the miles in.

The Anchorage area is a good base for all of this, as is Palmer, Wasilla, etc.

I don't live in Southcentral so I can't speak to that area, but I did live in Fairbanks for quite awhile and I think that is germane to you question since it's on the road system. While there are many opportunities and plenty of land to hunt, there are also just as many hunters with significant (and I might even say obscene) levels of investment in equipment such as 4 wheelers, side by sides, Argos, planes, boats, really loud airboats, etc. So if you're looking at getting away from the crowds on the road system, you're most likely going to need to fly. This isn't to say you won't find places of immense solitude without the additional equipment, but people have been hunting, trapping, prospecting, and just exploring Alaska for a long time so I really don't think there are too many secrets for where game is located. That's just my two cents. I'd budget for bush planes if you have the ability.

OP
Ctitus25

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I've never been up there and was planning a trip in March to have a look around so the wife could also see.

AKBorn

WKR
Thanks, I've never been up there and was planning a trip in March to have a look around so the wife could also see.

Don't know how much your wife is into snow - just FYI that if you go up in March, you are still a LONG way from Spring in a typical Alaska year....

OP
Ctitus25

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know how much your wife is into snow - just FYI that if you go up in March, you are still a LONG way from Spring in a typical Alaska year....
Ya, work is paying me to run up there in March, so I figured if she hates in in March then there's no point in hoping for spring. If it doesn't chase her away I'll get another trip in when the weather warms up

fatbacks

WKR
I have found that there is a huge amount land in Alaska that is inaccessible by boat, plane, or atv and if you’re willing to walk you’ll generally find very few people.

Moose hunting is a different beast. You’ll either need to be closer to a road or have some kind of mechanical advantage to get it out. I shot a moose on a sheep hunt one time. Needless to say that will never happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
Moose hunting is a different beast. You’ll either need to be closer to a road or have some kind of mechanical advantage to get it out. I shot a moose on a sheep hunt one time. Needless to say that will never happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch. I can't imagine the work involved in that packout. Care to share any details?

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Alaska is bigger than MT, CA, and TX combined with an extremely limited road system. While planes/boats get you to some remote country, you can be very successful hunting just about everything with a highway vehicle, a strong pair of legs, and some grit. And just because you fly/boat somewhere, does not mean you'll be alone.

March is one of my favorite months. We're gaining like 6-7 minutes of daylight each day and temps are usually quite reasonable. Lots of actives going on in March. This time of year (shortest day of the year) is a drag...

I recommend anyone that makes a move up here gets into a winter activity, whether that be skiing, snow machining (not snow-mobileing), trapping , ice fishing, etc. Otherwise you'll go crazy. The rest you'll learn as you go.

And yeah, there's a few hunting opportunities to be had I guess...

Research the various CUAs (Controlled Use Areas) on the road system that prohibit motorized access in some way, and you can get into some nice situations if your legs and back will play along. 99% of hunters up here aren't going to be going far from their internal combustion toys, think outside the box. It takes an awful lot of time, money, and effort to hunt Alaska no matter what....hard copy maps are your friend, they show the terrain better than any app, and the terrain and weather can be heartbreaking.

Catchfish

WKR
It’s been mentioned that March is a great month, and it is probably my favorite winter month because it’s not really real winter. The snow is normally great, the daylight is even better and we normally get an awesome spring snowstorm. To me real winter is Nov, Dec, and Jan it’s normally colder and dark as hell. The dark can be hard to deal with it is a serious damper for a lot of people. Must have winter activities that you can do in the dark if need be.

hodgeman

WKR
Hunting and fishing opportunities are basically year round. There's always something. You can do pretty well without an ATV or boat or a plane. I manage to keep my freezer full without any of that stuff.

The amount of hunting and fishing you can do with a $300 yard sale canoe is beyond most people's expectation. Being based in Anchorage will mean longer travel times to some species.

First year, just stick to fishing, small game, and ducks learning your way around...buying a NR tag is generally a waste of cash unless you have someone giving you intel and know how.

CBreeze

FNG
I love the lower 48 but if just doesn’t compare. Livin down here again feels like a sentence.

OP
Ctitus25

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
What type of hunting are you used to? Where do you live? Have you lived? How about your wife? Where is your potential job?
Currently live in WA, have lived in OR and TX also. Have done short backpack hunts and many day outings for deer, elk and black bear over the years. Potential job is flexible as it's an airline job and I'd be commuting back and forth from the lower 48, so ANC would be preferable, with Fairbanks always being an option. I think Fairbanks would be a tougher sell to the family though.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
So, this may seem like a strange question, but I am trying to do my research so that I can better make an informed decision. I may have the opportunity to move up to Anchorage sometime next year for work and am curious exactly how great the hunting opportunities are without needing to own a boat or hire a bush plane? Not that I am opposed to either, but I don't have any experience with the area and thought I'd ask on here.
You're getting a lot of really helpful answers from folks up here. I'm sure by now you're learning the quick answer to your original question...is that the hunting opportunities for a resident are endless without needing to own a boat or hire a bush plane, if you're willing to walk and work hard.

Download the current Alaska hunting regulations, if you already haven't. Look at the different CUA's across the road accessible GMU's that are clearly identified. Also, look at the areas that you can hunt along the road system with over the counter harvest tickets for different game animals, as opposed to areas that are limited to only annual draw permits...the reg's look a bit complicated at first glance, but they are pretty clear. As already noted by others (yet worth repeating), useable trails within road accessible hunting areas tend to be very heavily hunted with ATV's, Argo's, and side-by-sides...sometimes insanely so. However, there are also many places along the road system that hunters who are hauling trailers with off-road rigs just drive right by...once again, if you're willing to walk and work hard.

Living in Alaska is not for everyone...many people come and go...and some stay. Personally for me, moving to Alaska over thirty years ago is one of the top five best decisions that I have made in life. Enjoy your visit in March with your wife...fortunately mine loved Alaska when we visited for the job interview as much as I did!

I have declined several opportunities to relocate there with my career. I just don’t feel like my income would allow me to have the same quality of life and I don’t think I could afford the kinds of activities that I’d want to do with my free time.