Hunting over a mock scrape

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm still fairly new to this mid-west white tail game. Not used to these long stand sits in freezing weather or many of the tactics that are so different from chasing big game out west. I'm getting better at though! Anyways, I had caught a couple bucks on camera in mid-October. Nothing monstrous but a couple of big bodied 6 points. I read about mock scrapes and decided to make one close to the stand that I've been hunting. I let it sit for a good week and went back to check it out. There's fresh scrapes all over! Only caught one on camera a couple times but it seems like I got one of those bucks pretty fired up.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best method of hunting it. I've tried to blind call and rattle of out that stand in the last couple of weeks in the mornings and evenings but haven't had any luck. I'm wondering if blind calling is the best method or whether or not I should just sit and wait quietly for something to happen? I did freshen up the scrape a couple of days ago but I'm wondering how long I should wait? I also re-positioned my trail cam so hopefully that gives me a better picture in terms of time of day when activity is going down. Other than that I'm kind of clueless as how to to proceed. I get really stir crazy just sitting there all day but I know the rut action is almost in full swing right now.

Anyone have any opinions or moral support? I've been working hard and putting a lot of hours in the stand but just haven't seem much activity at all yet. It's been a little disheartening. Anything including criticism would be much appreciated!

WCB

WKR
My opinion if you have bucks consistently hitting the scrapes in daylight hunt them...If they are close to bedding in a travel corridor hunt them. However, the past week is the same week every year that scrapes pop up. Not saying your scrape didn't draw a deer over to it but it could just be the timing of the rain dance if you now what I mean.

looks like you are from MN...If the wind and weather is favorable this is the time to hunt it...even more so with gun season starting in a few days. I would be out any chance I could get this week. I personally rattle/grunt if I see a buck that is not coming in or late morning through he afternoon. I like to just sit early morning and last 45 minutes or so in the evening (again unless I see something).

I've hunted scrape lines on 1/2 mile tree groves with a scrape every 50 yards or less and not seen a buck during daylight in a week working the scrapes. I've also sat on a scrape I know was made that morning and shot a buck that evening off of it. It can be a frustrating game that's for sure.

OP
mmcdonough

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion if you have bucks consistently hitting the scrapes in daylight hunt them...If they are close to bedding in a travel corridor hunt them. However, the past week is the same week every year that scrapes pop up. Not saying your scrape didn't draw a deer over to it but it could just be the timing of the rain dance if you now what I mean.

looks like you are from MN...If the wind and weather is favorable this is the time to hunt it...even more so with gun season starting in a few days. I would be out any chance I could get this week. I personally rattle/grunt if I see a buck that is not coming in or late morning through he afternoon. I like to just sit early morning and last 45 minutes or so in the evening (again unless I see something).

I've hunted scrape lines on 1/2 mile tree groves with a scrape every 50 yards or less and not seen a buck during daylight in a week working the scrapes. I've also sat on a scrape I know was made that morning and shot a buck that evening off of it. It can be a frustrating game that's for sure.

Thanks man, good point on the scrapes. They could definitely just be a seasonal thing. The woods are alive and well right now up here in MN. It's killing me right now to be stuck at work in a cubicle no less. Taking some PTO tomorrow so hopefully it pays off.

I should add that most of the pics I have of these bucks have been at night. Only a couple were during the day and that was a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that with the onslaught of the rut now that they'll be a little more prone to wandering in the early mornings or evenings. Gonna keep giving the grunts and rattles a try too.

My goal is to still tag out with my bow. I've put countless hours and effort into it this year. Struck out on my Elk hunt back in September (still amazing though). It would be bittersweet not to tag anything with it but I'll be in the stand with my rifle Saturday morning if it doesn't work out. Heck, I'll be bow hunting into December if that's what it takes. That doesn't sound very appealing though with the temps we get up here.

I guess it all comes down to luck and timing with this whitetail game. Crazy that you sat for a freaking week in scrape activity like that without seeing anything. Hoping my luck finally comes through tomorrow, my hunting opportunities are scarce these days so keeping my fingers crossed!

tntrker

WKR
Put a mock scrap close to a real one. Be careful to do it without leaving a scent behind, make sure it has a "licking branch" available, and pee in it. Some people freak out about human pee, but it has worked for me for years. pee in his scrape to. It'll make him determined to keep coming back to that scrape and catch who's peeing in his scrape. Good luck and spray your boots with a cover before getting close..

OP
mmcdonough

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Put a mock scrap close to a real one. Be careful to do it without leaving a scent behind, make sure it has a "licking branch" available, and pee in it. Some people freak out about human pee, but it has worked for me for years. pee in his scrape to. It'll make him determined to keep coming back to that scrape and catch who's peeing in his scrape. Good luck and spray your boots with a cover before getting close..

I read about pissing in it! Crazy that it works, I used a metal hoe to make the one last week and then sprayed it with some synthetic scrap spray. I made sure it had a licking branch too. What kind of cover scent do you use? I looked at that nose jammer stuff but have no experience with it. Depending on the wind I've just been giving the area a wide berth when I go to the stand and come into from the backside.

tntrker

WKR
I read about pissing in it! Crazy that it works, I used a metal hoe to make the one last week and then sprayed it with some synthetic scrap spray. I made sure it had a licking branch too. What kind of cover scent do you use? I looked at that nose jammer stuff but have no experience with it. Depending on the wind I've just been giving the area a wide berth when I go to the stand and come into from the backside.

I use a teaspoon of Vanilla in a spray bottle of water as a cover. Vanilla is a natural scent in the woods and gives a "calming effect". Nose jammer is just the vanilla smell. I was getting used to smelling like doe pee too much. I'm old school but old school works without going broke on this and that. I will take "doe in heat" scent and soak my used thermacell pads in a sealed bag and used them like a bug pad. Done it for years, now they are marketing "vapor" scents. Works good too especially the colder it gets..

Last edited:
My dad killed a buck that wondered by one of his mock scrapes that de and I quote "doctors up" religiously.....now there is one onder every branch on the property.....its quite annoting. I wish he would knock it off...lol