Hunting Pack for the Small Hunters

nednic

FNG
Hi guys,

Looking for hunting pack recommendations for a small frame hunter (5’3,110lbs). The main issue I’ve found is finding a belt size that can go small enough. Looking for a pack that’s large enough for at least a weeks worth of gear, food with some room to pack out meat.

Thanks in advance!

Brk007

FNG
You should be able to purchase a small hip belt. I did this for my Exo 3200 so that my son could use the pack. Worked great. That particular pack has plenty of room for 5 day hunt.

OP
nednic

nednic

FNG
You should be able to purchase a small hip belt. I did this for my Exo 3200 so that my son could use the pack. Worked great. That particular pack has plenty of room for 5 day hunt.

Good to know, I’ll check it out!

The Exo range has enough adjustability in the frame to suit smaller people. Just make sure the belt will be OK for you. I run a Medium belt (I believe) and it's on the cusp of being too small. I'm not a big bloke but I'm a little bigger than you.

5ft 7in and 165lb.

Read1t48

WKR
Kifaru 24” frame, XS Belt. You’ll be golden!
24” frame will give good advantage of load lifters without getting hung up on the brush.

tdot

WKR
Check out the Seek Outside frames. They are hands down the most adjustable I've seen or used. I'm about half way into the adjustment on a Medium belt w/a 31" waist, so it is true to size. The small goes to 27". Maybe call them to confirm.

Do you know your Torso length? That will be important in deciding a frame. I would guess though that you would be somewhere in the 22" range for a frame. Getting too large of a frame can easily be more of a negative then positive.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery Ranch Metcalf women’s XS. I ordered my wife and son one to share and it fits both of them great and had a lot of adjustment in frame length and belt size. All the same colors available as in the men’s, only difference I can see is the little tag on top of the frame that says women’s xs. Very nice well built backpack that I think would work for what you’re needing

Kifaru XS might work, I've modified mine a bit to work better with smaller torsos. Seek Outside small belt would be spot on. I'm 5'6" with a 30" waist, the SO small belt was too small for me.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
nednic

nednic

FNG
Thanks all for the feedback, I’m glad to hear that there are more options out there than I originally thought!

Be really hard to beat the options kifaru gives you, the only other company that comes close is stone glacier

The small belt was actually too small. The padding ended too far back on my hips. The medium maxes out when carrying a heavy load. Kurt at SG has made a couple belts over the years for me that are in between sizes. I'd say that the small would work for a 26-27" waist just fine.

What/how did you modify the belt?

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
contact @nodakian - best pack out there for small framed women/men/kids. Very durable and excellent design.

Thanks Chas.

The Bullion Butte is suitable for an overnight trip for sure, especially if you don’t have to carry all your water. I’m now testing some longer shoulder straps on the 20” backboard for day hikes. I’m 5’8”, so the lifters aren’t doing much, but even with 25-30 pounds the stiff frame still keeps most weight on the hips. I was going to get the Kifaru Minikeg, but this is working well enough I’m going to keep using it for the season.

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Exo K3 with the small belt and 30” waist, on the smallest setting it’s nearly bottomed out with just a few inches to spare. So I’d be careful if you have a sub 30” waist and looking at the Exo.