Hunting Pack Question: Kifaru vs Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu

Which Pack Company do you recommend?

• Total voters

sb7000

FNG
I'm an adult onset hunter who is in the market for a hunting specific pack, but can't seem to settle on which brand would be best for my purposes.

I live in the west, and have mainly been day hunting. However, I have every intention of taking 3-5 day hunting trips fairly regularly.

What are your experiences with these brands? Any pro's/con's? Any recommendations of specific packs to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Bighorner

WKR
I have used both. You are best off to find someone with the frame you are looking at and try it out. I personally dont see a clear cut winner between MR and Kifaru. For reference in 6' 170# with a very flat back. I use the aluminum stays on the duplex frame.

bat-cave

WKR
No experience with MR. I have a Kifaru Stryker and a 44Mag. I also have a Kuiu Icon. I have hauled Elk in both the Kuiu and the Icon and IMHO there is no comparison as to how Kifaru vs Kuiu carry the weight. Kifaru is the clear winner - IMHO. I actually like a lot of things about the Icon bag design, but not enough to use it when carrying heavy loads is in question. I passed it down to my son, who doesn't yet know any better and needs to learn how to suffer before I consider upgrading him. :cool:

They are all good packs. For someone to say one “is the best” means simply it’s the best pack for them and nothing more. Backpacks are like hiking boots. What works for one doesn’t for the next person. What one person wants/needs as features of the product the next person has no use for.
The ongoing backpack review being done by one of the members on here shows that clearly.

Kifaru and Mystery Rancg both are poor performers in his review. Stone Glacier, Kuiu and Seek Outside (if I recalled them correctly ) are the best performers thus far. Obviously this is the one gentleman’s opinion. There are many good pack companies out there. All three of the above are good packs with generally good/great customer service. Try as many on as you can and go from there or order as many as you can to try on and return the ones you don’t like.

Last edited:

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Check into Stone Glacier and Exo to if you haven't already. They both put together great packs. It all really comes down to personal preference and what fits you the best. Look into Initial Ascent to, i hear good things about them also

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Go to a local store that carries them. Have the pack fitted to you, if the salesperson at the store is not able to do this find a different store. Once the pack is fitted to you have them load it up with all of the gear you would normally be carrying and then see how they feel. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what is the best, there are a lot of great pack manufacturers out there and you don’t neccessarily have to buy a Kifaru, MR, or a Kuiu to get a good pack that is going to work well for hunting. There really isn’t anything different about hunting than regular old back country camping other than possibly carrying out meat that makes a hunting specific brand any better or worse than any other company that makes packs. Most mountaineering pack brands will have a few models of frame packs that will haul meat just as well.

elkguide

WKR
Packs are like socks or boots.
What is the best for one person can be dead last for another. Of those you listed, the Kifaru works best for me, however, my pack of choice right now is the Outdoorsman's Palisade 90.

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
agree with some of the previous replies that you should try them on yourself to the extent you can because what fits one person, may not fit another. I personally have the Kuiu system with the new Pro Suspension and I could not be happier. Perfect balance of quality, weight, organization, value and comfort.

j33

WKR
When reading or asking about Kuiu be sure to clarify from people if it’s the new Pro Suspension which was released summer 2019. Lots of bad reviews in the old styles. New styles are right up there as mentioned above.

Can’t go wrong with all 3 of those. I had a Mystery Ranch and now run a Kuiu with pro suspension. Bought both barely used during for off season which allowed me to find which suited me best.

j33

WKR
When reading or asking about Kuiu be sure to clarify from people if it’s the new Pro Suspension which was released summer 2019. Lots of bad reviews in the old styles. New styles are right up there as mentioned above.

Can’t go wrong with all 3 of those. I had a Mystery Ranch and now run a Kuiu with pro suspension. Bought both barely used during the off season which allowed me to find which suited me best.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
I use a mystery ranch , upgraded from a tenzing and this is exactly my thoughts with my son on our hunt this year
No experience with MR. I have a Kifaru Stryker and a 44Mag. I also have a Kuiu Icon. I have hauled Elk in both the Kuiu and the Icon and IMHO there is no comparison as to how Kifaru vs Kuiu carry the weight. Kifaru is the clear winner - IMHO. I actually like a lot of things about the Icon bag design, but not enough to use it when carrying heavy loads is in question. I passed it down to my son, who doesn't yet know any better and needs to learn how to suffer before I consider upgrading him. :cool:

I was looking at the kuiu pro yesterday. However I noticed they only offer two belt sizes. Great for most average sized guys or smaller. No good for bigger like myself unfortunately.

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the kuiu pro yesterday. However I noticed they only offer two belt sizes. Great for most average sized guys or smaller. No good for bigger like myself unfortunately.
I have the Pro L/XL suspension and I have a 34" waist. I just put the pack on and cinched the belt down and measured the excess belt adjustment, with it cinched down, I have another 13" of adjustment on EACH side.....so, stands to reason that the L/XL would fit someone with a waist well over 50-55"

I have the Pro L/XL suspension and I have a 34" waist. I just put the pack on and cinched the belt down and measured the excess belt adjustment, with it cinched down, I have another 13" of adjustment on EACH side.....so, stands to reason that the L/XL would fit someone with a waist well over 50-55"

Yes, the belt webbing is plenty long which would fit. However it's not fitting correctly. The padding portion of the belt would be barely on my hips. Any belt that fits a 34" waste WELL is not fitting a 40" waste correctly. HENCE why everyone but kuiu offers at least 3 sizes.

Yes, the belt webbing is plenty long which would fit. However it's not fitting correctly. The padding portion of the belt would be barely on my hips. Any belt that fits a 34" waist WELL is not fitting a 40" waist correctly. HENCE why everyone but kuiu offers at least 3 sizes.

Last edited:
I would really only listen to the ones that say each person is different, and then give their personal opinion. No one can tell you which pack is the best, but simply explain what features they like the most about each pack. You can find MR packs for $350 give it take, and I think you are spending $600 minimum on a Kifaru. I went with a MR sawtooth 45 and it fits my needs well. It’s comfortable on my back and I am 5’-10” 180lb or so. I did have a complaint but I fixed it and now it’s fine. There was a squeak in the frame sheet, but I put some chapstick On it And it’s fine now.