Hunting pack vs "bugout bag"

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
With all the weird shit and uncertainty going on, I'm curious. How many of you have a "bugout" bag or kit? Those that do, is it any different than a 3-5 day backcountry hunt setup? What are you bringing in a "bugout" that you wouldn't bring on a hunt, vise versa.

The most realistic "bugout" situation for me where I live would be wildfire. With that in mind, I have a thumb drive loaded with important documents, contacts, etc. I don't see any situation where I would have to "bugout to the woods" being a realistic possibility. In most cases, I think you would probably end up in a shelter of some sort and wish you had a toothbrush and a change of undies.

I do try to keep my pack basically loaded with everything but sleeping bag, clothes, and food, so I suppose if that need arose, I could grab it and slap some stuff into it and hit the road.

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I agree about bugging out to the woods. I see my what-if kit most likely being used in case of a vehicle accident on a secluded logging road or something. The fact that I could backpack with it is just extra. Unless for some reason I have to hump it out 2 days without help. When I'm not hunting I take out all my glass and electronics and throw in some cheap 10x42s. I keep a bigger light than I would normally want to carry long distances, more first aid stuff, dry clothes, hand warmers, note pad and pen, and a little hatchet. It's light enough that I can hike, but has enough stuff that if I grabbed it and wandered away from my truck in a daze, I could easily figure out how to get warm and dry in a hurry without much thinking.

Mt Al

WKR
For me it's likely flood, wildfire or just zero power for over a few weeks. I don't plan on bugging out, but in terms of a need for several days living with zero other resources, I took an old surplus backpack and put in MREs, other dehydrated food, some water, water filtration, hand-crank flash light, some batteries, lots of fire starter, old but very functional goretex and winter clothes, a decent shelter and many other goodies. If I found a free mountaineering or hunting pack I might transfer the contents into same. If "it" happens and I had the time, I'd just strap the bugout pack to my hunting pack and be good for weeks and weeks.

When the family is on a long road trip, I just throw this bag into the back seat or trunk and feel pretty confident about making it through a blizzard with relative safety

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah I have a bugout bag. It has socks, space blanket, water, food, phone chargers, headlamp, extra sets of keys, extra glasses, a few painkillers, a 9mm Glock and some other stuff in it. I’d have to really open it up to check the exact contents.

Mines about like thinhorns with a wool blanket and military poncho,enough to stay out a night or two,always in 4runner.
My wife has one as well without gun but also a pair of wool socks and a pair of her older running shoes.It would suck to have to make any trek in heals.

Last edited:
Big question with lots of possible answers. Situations differ but the mostly likely reason you would have to abandon your home would also probably make going to the woods less viable. storm or other natural disaster, fire, civil unrest. Short of a full scale apocalypse you will probably be in your car And the disaster will be localized enough to move out of the impacted area. Think winter storm or hurricane where a couple hundred miles is going to get you out of the danger zone.

good hunting / backpacking gear is a nice place to start. Things to add include: cash (no atms if the power is out), gasoline, meds, maps of local and regional roads and terrain, trauma focused first aid, work gloves, tools, chain saws, comfort items. Etc. google up ”prepper” and ”bug out” lists.

If there is a chance things are going to get antisocial then you probably want to rethink weapons choices. Handguns. Semi auto rifles. Tactical shotguns.

Rich M

WKR
I've considered at a lot of scenarios, and short of an invasion/martial law & being kicked out of house, I'm staying home. Best way to protect your self and property. Plus you've got all your goodies. We get to practice this stuff down here during hurricanes every couple of years. Once during widespread fires about 20 yrs back.

If I have to leave and go somewhere, will put stuff in totes and fill truck or car with as much as it can carry + a small utility trailer with sides and cover (full of full gas cans). I would expect to have a target destination and want to get there with as little stopping or human interaction as possible. Would assume on a lot of traffic and people needing stuff.

If I did have to hoof it - load up the hunting pack and head out. Good suggestions so far - Expect folks to be interested in your stuff. Don't advertise or show what you got. I'm deaf and also pack a driveway alarm with a couple of sensors - same as when we go camping - you aint getting within 50 ft of me without waking up the world. LOL! Nifty gadgets.

Netflix movie called "How it Ends" has some parts that will make you think about trying to travel during a SHTF situation. No gas. The bridges were all being used as a check point - give us your stuff kind of check point. Makes sense. People being abused. Etc.

Guess it makes sense to think about this kind of stuff. What's important, what's not. What can be obtained on the way, what can't. You can also think about weight, maybe some kind of dolly gadget if you need to carry bulk stuff, say for kids...

Know someone who keep stuff in her trunk in case of emergency. I don't trust leaving stuff in a trunk down here due to the extreme temperatures. It's easy to take the soles off of boots down here - leave em in your car...

Adding to the above, I have been through a few hurricanes (North Carolina in 97, Katrina and sandy). You won’t be able to find a chainsaw, generator or gas can within a few hundred miles in a big event like that.

House has a “bug in” kit, vehicles have survival kits, carry decent survival kit when in woods.

If I ever am anywhere where cell reception is not guaranteed I have my satellite messenger device (not just when hunting). In almost any real need scenario rescue will probably be able to get to me faster than I can patch up and get to them.

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
Cant imagine bugging out where I'm currently at. I'm prepared to ride out a few weeks at the minimum here. Forest fire would be the only reason I'd be forced to leave. But I do carry a get home bag to get back across town, change of clothes and footwear, energy bars, ammo and ccw. Depending on time of year could be coat or something like that. To answer your question though I'd leave my expensive glass at home and bugout with a bigger first aid and stuff for the family and pooch on top of my regular get home or hunting pack