Hunting Packs.

Me and a buddy are going to be hitting the mid Oct hunt in the Tex Creek unit on Idaho. Doing research we have decided to get up into the woods somewhere between Red Ridge, Big Elk, or Black Mtn. From hearing about the amount of onroad hunting pressure our plan is to hike in a mile or so off a main road or trail, set up base camp, then run 1 day glassing, 1 day hunts from there. So the million dollar question. What kind of pack has all you seasoned forest hunters found to meet an initial gameplan like this? I've always just used a backpack for my Ohio whitetail archery hunts and prarie hunts for pheasant and rifle whitetail, so this kind of big game multi day events I'm not quite geared up for. Thanks for any advice and happy 2020 planning!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Sold my EXO and picked up a Eberlestock F1 tall frame. Going to build my own. Like the idea of being able to add or subtract from the upcoming hunt.
I know there’s not a lot of love on here for Eberlestock, but don’t care.

OP
T
Im ordering myself and my son Kifaru packs, from all the research ive done they are second to none when loaded heavy, a lil heavy but well worth it.
Stone Glacier are also a great choice.
Yeah I like what Kifaru, Kuiu, and Stone Glacier have to offer through a few weeks research. I wish there was a way to try some of these guys on prior to jumping into a $600+ unit.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I think overall Kifaru is hard to beat unless your a ultralight person than SG may suit you better. Mystery Ranch has some very good offerings also. I am not familiar with Seek or Exo. If you include your location and you may find some folks close by that will let you try on packs......

OP
T
I think overall Kifaru is hard to beat unless your a ultralight person than SG may suit you better. Mystery Ranch has some very good offerings also. I am not familiar with Seek or Exo. If you include your location and you may find some folks close by that will let you try on packs......
Good suggestion. I'm in the Fargo area of North Dakota.

I researched the bejesus out of packs this past year and wound up with an Exo 4800. Couldn’t be happier. I think it’d be a good fit for what your asking but opens up if you end up wanting to go a little longer.

wyosam

WKR
Good suggestion. I'm in the Fargo area of North Dakota.
Scheels in Fargo is listed as a Mystery Ranch dealer, they may carry something else, too. I love the MR line. I carry a Mule for day hunts, a Pintler for late season day hunts when I need to carry more layers, and Metcalf for backpack hunting. I've not used the other high end options, which I'm sure are also nice. I went with MR because it was what I could try on locally.

11boo

WKR
Kuiu for me. I’ve not tried any of the others mentioned, but the price and sizing of kuiu sold me and three seasons later I’m happy with my choice. I went with the ultra line, added the more padded shoulder straps from the standard line. All my day stuff plus fits in 3000 easily.

Attachments

• 9D95F18B-3050-4D11-8A81-DD59C68A4845.jpeg
    9D95F18B-3050-4D11-8A81-DD59C68A4845.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 159

Mt Al

WKR
Tons of packs will work great, EXO, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and many others. You don't even need a "hunting" pack. An REI, North Face or others will do the trick just fine also.

I don't have the time to try on every manufacturers pack and really wonder if there's that much of a difference. Actually, I don't wonder...there isn't...and we buy way more on feel than fact. I'd buy something that has local support if you can. If you can't, buy whatever brand you feel best about. They're all really good.

I went Mystery Ranch Selway and am very happy. Could have stopped two blocks early on my drive and went into Stone Glacier (they're that close) but didn't.

Running the mystery ranch Marshall and have the mule bag for day hunts. Wife is running the Metcalf with cabinet as day hunt bag. Not saying they're better than anyone else but they've served us well so far.

shane102

FNG
I run a Kuiu 5500 for bivy hunts and a 1800 for day hunts. They both can expand out to pack meat between the frame and the pack bag and work fine for that. I have one frame that fits both. When on bivy hunt, I will take the 1800 along (just strap it on outside of 5500) for using for day pack hunting from bivy camp. You just take 5500 off frame and put 1800 on frame and go (takes about 2 minutes to swap). I've used this set-up for many years and it works good. When using it to pack out meat, its not as comfortable as an actual pack frame. But it works good to get that first quarter out. Kuiu packs are light weight but for sure durable. I've packed out many of deer and elk with them and no issues.

With all that, I have friends that have other makes of packs and they like what they have and have no plans of switching. They are all good but designed a little different.

You can go buy a cheap pack and start going on hikes and use it for learning what specifics you want in a pack.

Cabelas, Sportsmans, Bass Pro, and many others will let you try on as many as you want and they will let you fill them up with whatever and walk around the store for however long to get the feel.

blfelts

FNG
I suggest Mystery Ranch - my family runs the Metcalf, and we all love it. Our hunting partners have the Selway. If you're in ND, check out Scheels. My buddy just bought a Metcalf for like $350 there. These other packs are nice (EXO, Stone Glacier, etc.) but are much more expensive.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
Firstly, Badlands makes some of the finest packs on the planet.. Not to mention, their warranty is equals their packs.
I have carried a super day pack for 15 years and it awesome . 8/ 10 day hunts in Alaska..
Your problem is your carrying a fanny IMHO. I hate fanny packs!!
Get yourself a real pack that your shoulders and hips carry. I would buy a badlands and be done. If you rip it, or a bear eats it, they will fix or replace.. No questions asked.. I know cause it happened to me.
I bow hunt now ( almost exclusively) and I still carry my badlands every time I step in the woods.

OP
T
I suggest Mystery Ranch - my family runs the Metcalf, and we all love it. Our hunting partners have the Selway. If you're in ND, check out Scheels. My buddy just bought a Metcalf for like $350 there. These other packs are nice (EXO, Stone Glacier, etc.) but are much more expensive.

I went to Scheels and decided on a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. After taking all the advice from here I think it came down to just being able to put something on sizing it and actually feeling it, I trust that many of the other brands are just as well made and comfortably sized. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Wassid82

WKR
Yeah I like what Kifaru, Kuiu, and Stone Glacier have to offer through a few weeks research. I wish there was a way to try some of these guys on prior to jumping into a $600+ unit.

I totally understand which is why I went to the Sheep Show in Reno, NV last year. I was completely set on buying one particular pack but I went to each pack maker and tried on several. I ultimately walked away with an entirely different pack than I the one I had picked out in my online research. I won't do it any other way in the future. I think if someone could go to shot show in Vegas it would be there same

Jimss

WKR
If you have the cash and want the best go with Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I looked in detail at Kuiu and guys that pack ultra loads weren't too terribly excited. I'd suggest a 6,000 cu in bag or larger. You can always cinch down a smaller load with a large bag but if you don't have enough room with a small bag you will likely need to do an additional trip or a super awkward load. Kifaru offers camo while Stone Glacier does not...a game changer for me since I hunt with a pack on my back and prefer camo. Kifaru owners rave about the comfort of the belt and frame when hauling extreme loads. Kifaru also offers a gob of different bags, pouches, lids, etc. so you can customize your bag. SG is a little lighter weight and offers the ability to place meat between the bag and frame. I have no problem packing boned meat in my bag.