Hunting Packs.

I also have several badlands packs. They are all really good packs. Every single one of them! But, for my big pack for backpacking from them, 45 pounds is the limit. After that it is not comfortable at all. All my day packs are badlands. They actually make some great clothing also.

I started with a BL's and owned 3 of them because they were cheap and had great CS. but who wants to send there pack back for warranty work everytime something breaks. In my case during elk hunts. That equated to hunts that were harder than they had to be. But again they were cheap.......

sneaky

"DADDY"
I started with a BL's and owned 3 of them because they were cheap and had great CS. but who wants to send there pack back for warranty work everytime something breaks. In my case during elk hunts. That equated to hunts that were harder than they had to be. But again they were cheap.......
My boss and his kids all run Badlands packs. They each own 3-4 of them because they get them discounted. They keep that many because they usually have 1-2 each back at Badlands for warranty work. I've been on hunts with them where they had their hip belt tied in a knot because the buckle broke, seen straps rip off the bag etc etc. They're slow learners. I always laughed when they were talking about how much I spent for my EXO. I asked them how many straps or buckles they had seen me break on those packouts. Silence. It's ok, buy 4 bags that end up costing over what my one good bag cost and try and tell me I'm the idiot .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My boss and his kids all run Badlands packs. They each own 3-4 of them because they get them discounted. They keep that many because they usually have 1-2 each back at Badlands for warranty work. I've been on hunts with them where they had their hip belt tied in a knot because the buckle broke, seen straps rip off the bag etc etc. They're slow learners. I always laughed when they were talking about how much I spent for my EXO. I asked them how many straps or buckles they had seen me break on those packouts. Silence. It's ok, buy 4 bags that end up costing over what my one good bag cost and try and tell me I'm the idiot .

My strap breaking in 2012 when I killed my first bull was the last straw for me. At the time I had already started buying other stuff to get ready for a Backcountry hunt and was getting close. The following year I was ready when I bought a high dollar pack. Incidentally, had I just ponied up the cash in the first place, I would have saved myself the aggravation. A 2200 and 2 2800's cost nearly as much as the 1 pack I have now and has stood the test of time.

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
I finally got a Kifaru a couple years ago... wish I would have just bit the bullet the first time I bought a pack.

Going with the Kifaru Stryker this year. With weight the frame is more comfortable for me compared to other brands. Smaller day pack with the ability to add in a camp bag. Add on pouch options if you need more organization or space.

Marble

WKR
With badlands, I've only had to warranty something one time, and i am due for another zipper handle on another pack. So I haven't had bad luck at all with my packs from them. Juat the opposite. I have broke a few of their smaller buckles by stepping on them or closing them in the door of the truck.

I still have my 2200 from 2011. I have beat the crap out of that thing.

Its not comparable to my kifaru but they are really in two different leagues.

hunterjmj

WKR
I've run the Kifaru longhunter since 2000 and love it. It's hauled deer, elk, antelope, moose, sheep and caribou without an issue for 20 years. I have another longhunter frame I use as a dedicated meat hauler that I've loaned out and people can't believe the comfort with a load on. I think I'm finally ready for the Kifaru Reckoning next season. That is a sweet looking bag and so much more to offer then the longhunter.

Have an Eberlestock X1 for rifle hunting then use Eberlestock slingshot for archery never had any issues. Also used a Just One for long multi day trips. Great products and affordable. My two cents.

WinM70

FNG
EXO great guys and customer service. Love my Exo and K2 frame. Pack is light, very comfortable and carries heavy loads very well.

kwin1221

FNG
Ended up with the mystery ranch bear tooth 80. I Like it, it’s comfortable. However, I’m not a seasoned elk hunter. I did pack for a 7 day hunt. I’d buy it again.

It's ok, buy 4 bags that end up costing over what my one good bag cost and try and tell me I'm the idiot .

that's the deal.... comfort under weight aside, with cheap packs (same can be said about boots and optics) you can save some money up front, but it doesn't take long and you end up in the red, with an investment more than just starting off with a high end pack (especially used)

i think the Horn Hunter full curl is an excellent entry level pack system, and i still have one in my pickup all spring and fall (for a friend to use, or if i'm in my pop-up while hunting) i did break a buckle last year, but that was after packing probably 20 elk with it and a bunch of whole bucks.... that's acceptable to me for the investment, that's a lot of abuse.

of course the pack is no Kifaru, EXO, SO, MR, etc... the waist belt pockets are tore up from carrying a slung rifle, it's heavy and really feels like you have a pack on.... it's not very refined, but it does work well and gets the job done.... to me, that's a huge upgrade from a Badlands.... when i first got the HH, it was a big upgrade to me from the Kuiu i had been using

AK Yeti

FNG
Me and a buddy are going to be hitting the mid Oct hunt in the Tex Creek unit on Idaho. Doing research we have decided to get up into the woods somewhere between Red Ridge, Big Elk, or Black Mtn. From hearing about the amount of onroad hunting pressure our plan is to hike in a mile or so off a main road or trail, set up base camp, then run 1 day glassing, 1 day hunts from there. So the million dollar question. What kind of pack has all you seasoned forest hunters found to meet an initial gameplan like this? I've always just used a backpack for my Ohio whitetail archery hunts and prarie hunts for pheasant and rifle whitetail, so this kind of big game multi day events I'm not quite geared up for. Thanks for any advice and happy 2020 planning!
Kifaru or SG
If you have the cash and want the best go with Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I looked in detail at Kuiu and guys that pack ultra loads weren't too terribly excited. I'd suggest a 6,000 cu in bag or larger. You can always cinch down a smaller load with a large bag but if you don't have enough room with a small bag you will likely need to do an additional trip or a super awkward load. Kifaru offers camo while Stone Glacier does not...a game changer for me since I hunt with a pack on my back and prefer camo. Kifaru owners rave about the comfort of the belt and frame when hauling extreme loads. Kifaru also offers a gob of different bags, pouches, lids, etc. so you can customize your bag. SG is a little lighter weight and offers the ability to place meat between the bag and frame. I have no problem packing boned meat in my bag.
kifaru or SG

Ewest15

FNG
I have really appreciated all the input on packs from to hose of you much more experienced than me. Looking to buy a new pack. Up to this point have only done day type pack outs using my badlands day pack. Now venturing into multiday hunts so thanks for this thread

I ran the cabelas multi day pack for a CO archery elk hunt and I liked it but it is not a great option if you have a waist below 32". I have a 31" waist and could never get it tight enough to keep it from sliding down throughout the day. Other than that I really liked it. I have a terraframe 80 on order so I'm excited to get that for the coming season!

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the cabelas multi day pack for a CO archery elk hunt and I liked it but it is not a great option if you have a waist below 32". I have a 31" waist and could never get it tight enough to keep it from sliding down throughout the day. Other than that I really liked it. I have a terraframe 80 on order so I'm excited to get that for the coming season!

I’ll sell you my lightly used terraframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgstucson

FNG
Kuiu for me. I’ve not tried any of the others mentioned, but the price and sizing of kuiu sold me and three seasons later I’m happy with my choice. I went with the ultra line, added the more padded shoulder straps from the standard line. All my day stuff plus fits in 3000 easily.
I went with Kuiu also. Pro 2300, and it is the perfect day pack for here is AZ