Hunting Packs.

Marble

WKR
I also have several badlands packs. They are all really good packs. Every single one of them! But, for my big pack for backpacking from them, 45 pounds is the limit. After that it is not comfortable at all. All my day packs are badlands. They actually make some great clothing also.

I had a kuiu it was ok, but i wanted a lil more.
did you get a jansport after that?😆 my kuiu pack was about worthless with a heavy load... my pop up is way better with weight.

ThatJimKid, on the cheaper end, the horn hunter full curl will do what you ask. for a little more (they offer great military/LEO discounts if you are either) is Mystery Ranch.... i'm a Mystery Ranch fan, they are solid packs with a lot of great design built into their packs. they are a little heavier than the rest of the top shelf packs, but they are tougher as well (kifaru makes some really tough packs too)

after that you have seek outside, no personal experience, but a good option if UL is your thing.... it's like a mountain capable kuiu.

after that you have the top 3 imo, at least in popularity for high end packs. Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and EXO. I have no experience with Stone Glacier, but I will in the next couple years. I have been wanting one and those itches don't go away with me.

I have little experience with Kifaru, I have packed one bull out with one personally, it was a really comfortable pack, and in a blind test, I wouldn't know the difference between it and the EXO I used to own... both really comfortable, fairly lightweight (relative to pack size) and haul weight very similarly.

my EXO was a great pack while I had it, but it was getting a few fuzzy wear spots so I gave someone a good deal on it before the wear got worse. the wear it was getting was just from having a rifle slung, not really the fault of the pack, but the main reason I like Mystery Ranch... MR are pretty bomb proof and show little wear with over twice the use, and i'm gonna get their rifle sling which will stop that wear completely.

packs are like boots, very individual tastes. how my packs wear won't be that way for everyone. if you only use it archery hunting, that wear will not happen.

I like kuiu, and use a lot of their stuff, their raingear is the best in the business, but if I were you, I would avoid their packs. they are ok, and you can get by with one, but there are much better places to spend your money on packs. my kuiu didn't do well with heavy loads (relatively) and ate load lifters like it was starving to death. the waist belt got shredded from the stock of my rifle.

I did get the new set of shoulder straps and waist belt and am going to put them on and the pack will be good to go again, and it will be my wife's, she has turned into a pretty serious huntress the past couple years, and it will be perfect for her. she has some back issues, so I won't let her haul much weight, and kuiu has been good about sending me load lifters when I need them, so no loss on that pack, but it wasn't my primary for long.... the horn hunter full curl was a significant upgrade from the kuiu, but it was kinda heavy and clumsy, but did function really well and hauls weight like a boss (I still use it for a hauler, and it's hauled a bunch of heavy loads)

if price isn't an issue, you can't really go wrong with Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or EXO.... if money is an issue the horn hunter full curl will suit you well, and they have terrible resale, so if you find one used it will be cheap.... they have a great warranty too.

if you are military or a vet, or LEO, Mystery Ranch gives a really good discount (you can message me and I can tell you where to sign up for the discount) for the discounted price, it's a no brainer.... for full retail they are a really good value too.

I haven't looked at the classifieds here much, but I have heard this is a good place to buy used packs, so keep that in mind too when you start seriously shopping.

Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, and MR have good resale, so if you end up buying one of those, and in the future don't need it or want to try something different, you can get most of your money back.... if you buy used and find a good deal you can get all your money back.

good luck

picketuc

FNG
I would keep the search narrowed to Kifaru, Mystery ranch and EXO.

They are high end for all the reasons you would guess. But the secret sauce you get from these (I've only used the Kifaru of the bunch) is load carrying. If you plan on putting meat in the pack, plus camp and then possibly having to hike in and out 2 to 3 times, plan accordingly. I know the kifaru works.

Buy bigger than you think, they fold down to nothing. Imagine your entire camp, plus meat.

My bag is 6500ci, plus a lid and some side pockets. I could fit my entire camp (solo) plus half a boned cow elk in it (100 pounds plus or minus).

It was comfortable.
Good Lord you're an animal lol

stump06

WKR
Ive had a lot of packs over the years from different companies but Kifaru is the last one I'll ever buy. I love how their packs fit and the modularity of their system. That being said, its expensive. Ive used EXO and they make very good packs and buying a used one is pretty easy to do. I've heard good things about Stone Glacier as well but never owned one.
A great, cheap option is to buy the Cabelas pack frame, get you a 55 liter dry bag for camp stuff (tent, pad, bag) and strap your regular day pack on there. That'll do everything you need it to and you won't have a ton invested if you decide its not something you want to do. I've hauled meat with the Cabelas frame and it does really well

Last edited:

Fleetwood

Lil-Rokslider
Recently made the jump from Kuiu to Kifaru. The quality and customer service with Kifaru products is unbeatable. Love the Stryker with camp bag. It checks so many different boxes.

mhedlund

FNG
I know you said you got a pack but if you find yourself in Duluth, MN and want to try a Kifaru shoot me a PM. I have a couple 26" duplex frames set up with different bags you can try for fit and comfort if you want.

Best of luck this fall!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
I work in Fargo daily and you can try on my kifaru if you'd like. PM me if interested.

Taube94

FNG
Look into the kifaru Fulcrum. It’s big enough to haul in you camp but it also compresses down to a day bag. It will most likely be my next purchase

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think it's funny when everyone is giving him pack advice when he bought a pack already and has posted it in a couple different posts on here already. He got an MR pack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Me and a buddy are going to be hitting the mid Oct hunt in the Tex Creek unit on Idaho. Doing research we have decided to get up into the woods somewhere between Red Ridge, Big Elk, or Black Mtn. From hearing about the amount of onroad hunting pressure our plan is to hike in a mile or so off a main road or trail, set up base camp, then run 1 day glassing, 1 day hunts from there. So the million dollar question. What kind of pack has all you seasoned forest hunters found to meet an initial gameplan like this? I've always just used a backpack for my Ohio whitetail archery hunts and prarie hunts for pheasant and rifle whitetail, so this kind of big game multi day events I'm not quite geared up for. Thanks for any advice and happy 2020 planning!
You'll have plenty of company in Tex Creek since you posted specific places on a Google searchable forum lol. Best keep your thoughts and plans to yourself for future reference. Tex Creek is some cool country, just gets a lot of pressure.

OP
T
I think it's funny when everyone is giving him pack advice when he bought a pack already and has posted it in a couple different posts on here already. He got an MR pack.

Haha yea but hey if someone else gets some ideas off this thread then good deal all around. I hear ya on your other point as well, probably need to keep my cards closer. Thanks

Jory S.

FNG
I’ve had the Icon pro from Kuiu, Exo and a Kifaru. Kifaru is my choice.