Hunting Packs.

ridgefire

WKR
I have had a Badlands for years now and still never use it, the thing is garbage as far as I'm concerned. I now use my Duplex frame with a T2 bag and guide lid for 90% of my hunting and my Siwash for the other 10%. Kifaru is a really comfortable and really well built pack that can handle anything you throw at it.

I really like my kuiu. The main differences with a pack that's made for hunting is the meat hauling system (but most have straps inside) and the side pockets for tripods and scopes. My side pockets can also carry my rifle.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my kuiu. The main differences with a pack that's made for hunting is the meat hauling system (but most have straps inside) and the side pockets for tripods and scopes. My side pockets can also carry my rifle.

What model of KUIU do you have?

OP
T
If you have the cash and want the best go with Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I looked in detail at Kuiu and guys that pack ultra loads weren't too terribly excited. I'd suggest a 6,000 cu in bag or larger. You can always cinch down a smaller load with a large bag but if you don't have enough room with a small bag you will likely need to do an additional trip or a super awkward load. Kifaru offers camo while Stone Glacier does not...a game changer for me since I hunt with a pack on my back and prefer camo. Kifaru owners rave about the comfort of the belt and frame when hauling extreme loads. Kifaru also offers a gob of different bags, pouches, lids, etc. so you can customize your bag. SG is a little lighter weight and offers the ability to place meat between the bag and frame. I have no problem packing boned meat in my bag.

I appreciate the in depth answer. The Mystery Ranch that I picked up is the Ranger drab color and no the fancy digital camo they used to exclusively offer the Scheels (midwest sports store), but it hit the rest of the marks I was looking for that you mentioned, fit and size being the main factors. I agree that if you're going to pack hunt it only makes sense to have a bag big enough to haul in and set up camp in one run then compress down for your onsie twosie day hunts.

OP
T
A little heavier than some of the others, but Mystery Ranch Metcalf is hard to beat

Yea they had the Metcalf at the store but there was something about the Beartooth 80 that drew me in, that all looked like solid packs. Here it is with the boots next to the treadmill to start getting some winter miles in.

Attachments

• 20200121_203842.jpg
    20200121_203842.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 93

Wilks54

FNG
another vote for stone glacier. If you're headed out for a base camp, I'd pack a light day pack to take for that. Like the avail or something similar.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I have two packs from kifaru and I absolutely love them very comfortable and well designed.

ionfender

Lil-Rokslider
All good recommendations here already. I run the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and love it. Plenty big for what your doing, but if you want one bigger go with the MR Marshall.

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
Love my EXO 5500 K2 bag/frame = have hauled out several elk loads with it. Most loads around 80Lbs. handled great. I would stay with a 5000 or larger pack. Always nice to have the extra pack room.

Randle

WKR
I have had Kifaru, Eberlstock, and I now use an exo. My hunting partner is using a Cabelas multiday 4000 and it honestly looks very well built it functions alot like my Exo . he helped pack out my bull last year and he was really happy with the way it felt loaded.

Last edited:

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Don't shame me too bad guys. I was in a Bass Pro the other say and they had a Cabela's pack that held around 4000 and was load-sling capable. A little bit heavy (almost 8 lbs.) but the price was $220. It was somewhat adjustable and the padding was not too bad either. Funny thing is that Cabela's didn't have it on their website but Bass Pro did.

Here it is: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-multi-day-hunting-pack

Randle

WKR
No shame in that pack . it's the same one my hunting partner used to help pack my bull out . solid pack for the price

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
Don't shame me too bad guys. I was in a Bass Pro the other say and they had a Cabela's pack that held around 4000 and was load-sling capable. A little bit heavy (almost 8 lbs.) but the price was $220. It was somewhat adjustable and the padding was not too bad either. Funny thing is that Cabela's didn't have it on their website but Bass Pro did.

Here it is: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-multi-day-hunting-pack
If it works for you that’s all that matters. I got a buddy that I hunt with and he loves his team elk pack and I found a screaming deal on a used one so I tried it for a season and have never been so uncomfortable. Different body shades fit different packs.

Marble

WKR
I would keep the search narrowed to Kifaru, Mystery ranch and EXO.

They are high end for all the reasons you would guess. But the secret sauce you get from these (I've only used the Kifaru of the bunch) is load carrying. If you plan on putting meat in the pack, plus camp and then possibly having to hike in and out 2 to 3 times, plan accordingly. I know the kifaru works.

Buy bigger than you think, they fold down to nothing. Imagine your entire camp, plus meat.

My bag is 6500ci, plus a lid and some side pockets. I could fit my entire camp (solo) plus half a boned cow elk in it (100 pounds plus or minus).

It was comfortable.