hunting pants for winter lion hunts.

nidaho

FNG
Lost a bunch of weight so I am buying new hunting close. I have always worn wool pants for my winter lion hunting but thought I would see if there was something else I should look at. Thanks in advance

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Both my Montana hunts spanning 30+ days I alternated between Sitka Gear Mountain and Timberline pants. Tenps from 40 down to -23 and was always comfortable. If I was going to go with one, the waterproof knees and seat Of the Timberlines are worth their weight in gold.

Werty

WKR
Last year, I ran the Eddie bauer guide pants all year. I just bought some insulated ones for this year.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve never hunted lions in the winter but it was -2 degrees during my 3rd season cow elk hunt. Eddie Bauer Costco special pants (19.99) and OR crocodile gaiters. I also had some light weight merino long underwear but I didn’t wear them. If I’m moving I don’t want anything insulated on my legs. I instantly get hot. If I’m sitting and glassing that’s a different story.

Be ready for the heat of hiking a lot, youd be surprised how little clothing you need in 0 degrees when your hiking after lions

Rackmastr

WKR
Timberline pants for me always seem to work good! Usually wear a pair of insulated overalls on a sled and then take them off when we're hunting

OP
N

nidaho

FNG
Yes I will wear waterproof bibs while on the sled looking for tracks and take them off for hiking. Timberlines and axis look pretty nice also spendy I’ve got a month or so to decide but I better buy sooner than later. Thanks again

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That is one of the things I enjoy most about the Timberlines. When you are on the sled the waterproof knees basically give you full coverage. They are also fantastic when hooking the sleds or quads up on the trailer. Plus they stretch when you climb rather than fight you with every step like wool pmts do.

I have first lite stuff and love it. When it gets below 10 or so and deep snow I will put the north branch pants on over top. They're actually bibs which I like and are very lightly insulated and highly breathable. It's a great combo for me, I can follow dogs all day and they have big zippers that go all the way across the seat if you really need to dump heat. I'm not in the mountains but often 2-3' of snow. Oh they also have built in gaiters which work great when you're punching snow all day, it packs under it if it's wet but you will not get it up past the gaiters.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk