Hunting pants

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys

Looking for recommendations for hunting pants, probably first lite, kuiu or Sitka, but open to all brands. I know there are plenty of threads out there, but I am in a little different situation. The below hopefully gives some insight into what I am asking and why.

I live in Victoria, Australia and predominantly hunt public land for sambar deer. We can legally hunt all year round in many parts of the state, but I generally only hunt the cooler months which is maybe 6 months of the year. This is some mountainous area by Australian standards, with elevation from around 1000 feet to a max of maybe 5000 feet, but generally less. Temperatures will generally be from around 30 to 60 degrees, but can be hotter or colder. Country where I mostly hunt can be steep and heavily timbered. Some parts can have very thick cover choked with dead-fall timber, but I dont bother hunting the really thick, steep areas.

I am looking for suggestions on pants you think might be suitable, and also sizing advise. Considerations for me are that the costs of clothing after adding freight and currency exchange make these purchases close to double what they are locally in the USA. Plus the time for deliveries which are super long at the moment make it really difficult for me to make a decision. Add to that the fact that I cant try on or even feel a product before purchasing makes the whole process pretty daunting.

Anyhow, I would appreciate any suggestions you guys might be able to provide.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I am really liking my Kuiu Attack pants, I've got about 20 days in them so far this year and they are holding up well and are really comfortable, when it's warm the side zips on the legs feel great to dump heat and let in the breezed. No experience with the other ones you mentioned.

OOSWLC

FNG
i have the corrugate foundry pant from first lite and i LOVE them. they're durable, extremely comfortable, and they have a zipper down the side to dump heat which is clutch. after my first time wearing them i sold my sitka mountain pants.

i am 5'9" and ~175#... in normal pant sizing i am a perfect 32x30... the sitka mountain pants in 32 were a bit tight in the waist, but the first lite in 32x32 are a perfect fit.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Fjallraven Keb trousers are fantastic pants and my first choice after being introduced to them through a friend. They’re incredibly functional, durable and practical and are, in my opinion, superior to any hunting pants on the market.

j930

FNG
+1 on the kuiu attacks. have worn them in 20 degrees with long johns and in 80 degrees with side vents unzipped. great pants

Venom One

WKR
Regardless of which brand you choose, pay close attention to the inseam length and whether they have articulated knees. If you're taller or shorter than "average", the knee articulation won't be at the right height. Super awesome material won't make you forget that those $150+ pants fit like sh**. Just something to be aware of before spending the money and waiting for shipping.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I love my fjallraven kebs, I've ran most of the ones mentioned above and have literally only worn the kebs since I got them.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Fjallraven Keb trousers are fantastic pants and my first choice after being introduced to them through a friend. They’re incredibly functional, durable and practical and are, in my opinion, superior to any hunting pants on the market.

These look really interesting. I've been waiting for months to purchase some Forloh Alclima in a "Tall" size but they haven't had any in stock and keep pushing the date out that they will be back in stock.

The only hunting pants I've really liked are the Sitka Timberlines. I prefer a more substantial pant to a thinner model most people tend to gravitate too.

Their website say's free shipping over $75... wonder if that includes to the USA? Assuming all their clothing comes from over seas and not from here? Also wonder how backed up shipping would be right now?

The tag doesn't say "Made in China" does it? LOL!

I highly recommend the fjallraven vidda pro. I've used the same pair for 3 years now and love them. Super durable and comfy. You can melt some Greenland wax into them to make them water resistant. Great pocket layout. They also have a nice little hook on the front of the leg cuff to fasten it to your boot laces and an elastic snapping band around the back to make them function like gaiters, to an extent.

+1 on the kuiu attacks. have worn them in 20 degrees with long johns and in 80 degrees with side vents unzipped. great pants

For you guys that have the keb, have you used the vidda pro? I looked at the keb, primarily due to the stretch panels and thigh vents, but skipped due to price and fear that the stretch material might not be quite as durable.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
For those temps and dry weather I would just wear a Prana Stretch Zion. They are super comfortable and fairly durable. You can find them on sale for around $60-$70 if you watch. If you expect a lot of rain then I would go with one of the pants listed above.

WRO

WKR
The only hunting pants I've really liked are the Sitka Timberlines. I prefer a more substantial pant to a thinner model most people tend to gravitate too.

I have a set of Timberlines collecting dust since I bought the Kebs.

I highly recommend the fjallraven vidda pro. I've used the same pair for 3 years now and love them. Super durable and comfy. You can melt some Greenland wax into them to make them water resistant. Great pocket layout. They also have a nice little hook on the front of the leg cuff to fasten it to your boot laces and an elastic snapping band around the back to make them function like gaiters, to an extent.

For you guys that have the keb, have you used the vidda pro? I looked at the keb, primarily due to the stretch panels and thigh vents, but skipped due to price and fear that the stretch material might not be quite as durable.

Mine have been super durable. I haven't ran the vidda pro, but I much prefer a pant with stretch in the right places to one without.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I have a set of Timberlines collecting dust since I bought the Kebs.

Mine have been super durable. I haven't ran the vidda pro, but I much prefer a pant with stretch in the right places to one without.

Did you buy yours straight from Fjallraven? Where does the tag say they are made? Thanks...

WRO

WKR
Did you buy yours straight from Fjallraven? Where does the tag say they are made? Thanks...

Bought mine from the Fjallraven outlet in Castle Rock Co.

They're made some place in SE Asia same with the Arcteryx puffy I run.

The fjallraven keb trousers are great, i mostly use them for construction and wearing around town or truck hunts. The pairs i have are made in Vietnam. Ive worn them on a few back country hunts in spring and they were great in snow, light rain and hot weather, but in really wet and rainy conditions they aren't my favorite cause they wet out and they're cotton. Once the waterproofing wears off a bit they get soaked quickly and the waterproofing wax they sell for them is a pain to reapply with an iron compared to a spray, and you still have to use a spray on the stretchy parts. I live in Oregon tho, we get a lot of rain. Not sure how wet it is where you hunt but if its usually not too wet or if you can dry them out at night, the keb trousers could be a good choice. I have the forloh pants, i like them alot and i prefer them or another synthetic pant for the back country, hopefully they have your size soon. Not quite as warm as the timberlines but the zip vents are nice

For those temps and dry weather I would just wear a Prana Stretch Zion. They are super comfortable and fairly durable. You can find them on sale for around $60-$70 if you watch. If you expect a lot of rain then I would go with one of the pants listed above.
I have 3 pairs of zion's. Super durable, and comfortable. I have a few pairs of Kuiu attacks and a pair of the lighter weight KUIU's. I wear the Pranas all the time. I have a pair that is 5 years old+ and not a mark on them, and yes I do wear them hunting, as well as once a week to work and for casual pants as well. Can't go wrong for an all around pair of pants. and they are half the price of the Kuiu's. (the attacks are great as well)

Oh and i do have a pair of the fjallraven vidda pants as well, they are nice but much stiffer and the stretch of the kebs makes them much more comfortable. Ive found the stretchy material to be plenty durable too. If you do get the vidda you should get the ventilated ones but i prefer the keb. I wish they made some that weren't cotton tho

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 pairs of zion's. Super durable, and comfortable. I have a few pairs of Kuiu attacks and a pair of the lighter weight KUIU's. I wear the Pranas all the time. I have a pair that is 5 years old+ and not a mark on them, and yes I do wear them hunting, as well as once a week to work and for casual pants as well. Can't go wrong for an all around pair of pants. and they are half the price of the Kuiu's. (the attacks are great as well)
Yeah, I wear mine all the time too. I forgot to mention - don't worry about them not being camo. Get an earth-tone and you'll be fine. Personally I try to buy all of my gear in solid colors so I can wear it for more than hunting. Even when bow-hunting whitetails I don't think camo is a big factor in succcess. I try my best to support "hunting friendly" companies but there are some products like the stretch zion pant that are too good to not use.