Hunting pants

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at getting some new and better hunting pants for big game. I am looking for something with water resistance and maybe knee pads? I want pants that can get me through 70-20 degrees with layering . I know this is a tough criteria set so i’m not looking for perfect but any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at getting some new and better hunting pants for big game. I am looking for something with water resistance and maybe knee pads? I want pants that can get me through 70-20 degrees with layering . I know this is a tough criteria set so i’m not looking for perfect but any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

The Bora pant without a base-layer i would probably say would be ok between that 35-55 degree range - with a good base-layer between 35- 15degree range. These pants weight 24oz according to Kryptek no knee pads though. The water resistance is so good on these it will not even required you to have rain pants I would still carry some just in case, they have the schoeller fabric which is the best in the industry they shed water like no other pants. The only reason why they are not called waterproof it’s because the seams are not taped. Unless you are hunting in Alaska where it’s raining everyday or on a fishing boat where you are constantly wet you will not need waterproof rain pants. These will do the job in other normal conditions where you encounter rain here and there. The material seems super durable and the fabric breathes like no other let’s hot air out and closes when cold outside. The fit is not as athletic as Sitka or Kuiu from waist down to the knees they are fine, the bottom part of the pant from the knee down to the ankle it’s a bit loose, I would recommend gaiters at the bottom to fix this issue. I am 5’6, 160 lbs the 32x32 firs perfect on the waist but they are a bit long for me. Will definitely be using gaiters, for someone taller would be perfect in length.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Do you feel inadequate if you don’t spend 150 dollars on pants? If the answer is no, wrangler hiking pants from Walmart or Eddie Bauer from Costco. I think I paid 17 dollars for my Eddie Bauer/Gerry pants. If it makes my opinion matter more I think I’ve killed 5 elk, 3 antelope, and 2 deer in 3 years using them. So obviously they must work! If you’re concerned with the label on the inside of your pants I’ve heard the attack pants are nice!

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
The Bora pant without a base-layer i would probably say would be ok between that 35-55 degree range - with a good base-layer between 35- 15degree range. These pants weight 24oz according to Kryptek no knee pads though. The water resistance is so good on these it will not even required you to have rain pants I would still carry some just in case, they have the schoeller fabric which is the best in the industry they shed water like no other pants. The only reason why they are not called waterproof it’s because the seams are not taped. Unless you are hunting in Alaska where it’s raining everyday or on a fishing boat where you are constantly wet you will not need waterproof rain pants. These will do the job in other normal conditions where you encounter rain here and there. The material seems super durable and the fabric breathes like no other let’s hot air out and closes when cold outside. The fit is not as athletic as Sitka or Kuiu from waist down to the knees they are fine, the bottom part of the pant from the knee down to the ankle it’s a bit loose, I would recommend gaiters at the bottom to fix this issue. I am 5’6, 160 lbs the 32x32 firs perfect on the waist but they are a bit long for me. Will definitely be using gaiters, for someone taller would be perfect in length.

Thanks for the awesome info! I am definitely going to check these pants out , they sound like they would work great!

Sitka timberlines we’re my go to. Have two outings in my first lite corrugate foundry pants and really like them.

fmyth

WKR
Do you feel inadequate if you don’t spend 150 dollars on pants? If the answer is no, wrangler hiking pants from Walmart or Eddie Bauer from Costco. I think I paid 17 dollars for my Eddie Bauer/Gerry pants. If it makes my opinion matter more I think I’ve killed 5 elk, 3 antelope, and 2 deer in 3 years using them. So obviously they must work! If you’re concerned with the label on the inside of your pants I’ve heard the attack pants are nice!
My local Costco has the fleece lined Gerry pants for $29 right now. My hunting partner wore them on our 4th season elk hunt. As the baller in our group I wore my EB Guide Pro fleece lined pants I picked up on sale for $49.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My local Costco has the fleece lined Gerry pants for $29 right now. My hunting partner wore them on our 4th season elk hunt. As the baller in our group I wore my EB Guide Pro fleece lined pants I picked up on sale for $49.
Big spender!!!! 😆

I don’t like fleece lined pants, I prefer to layer, but that would be a great 4th season option.

zacattack

WKR
I’ve had my guide pro fleece lined pants in some pretty cold nasty weather and never gotten cold. If it’s single digit weather I might wear a light base layer with them depending on my activity level.

The OP could also pick up some of the arcteryx knee pads as an alternative to pants with knee pads.

CCH

WKR
I really like my Timberlines (bought on close out, but still pricey.) They are a bit heavy for warmer weather, but are my first choice when it’s cool enough. I use Attacks for more moderate weather. One pint on knees pads and your experience may be different, but I found the ones in the Timberlines uncomfortable to hike with. They ride up and protect my knees when kneeling but drop some and sort of band against my knees when hiking. I took them out a long time ago.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Timberlines (bought on close out, but still pricey.) They are a bit heavy for warmer weather, but are my first choice when it’s cool enough. I use Attacks for more moderate weather. One pint on knees pads and your experience may be different, but I found the ones in the Timberlines uncomfortable to hike with. They ride up and protect my knees when kneeling but drop some and sort of band against my knees when hiking. I took them out a long time ago.

Are the reinforcements on the knees enough for moderate or short time periods of kneeling?

CCH

WKR
Depends on you and the ground. For me the important thing is they keep me dry if I do so.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on you and the ground. For me the important thing is they keep me dry if I do so.

I am really leaning towards the timberline pants, i will be hunting often in snow so the water resistant butt and knees is important

Lowg08

WKR
Just buy the corrugate foundry. Large hip vents, Knee pads, reinforced seat and knees, long lasting DWR and fit great. I have two pairs. I have not had the knees and seat wet out yet. They are waterproof. I have had the timberlines they will wet out quicker than the corrugate and corrugate will dry faster230306A6-34FB-45B0-B604-20BFCAED452B.jpeg

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy the corrugate foundry. Large hip vents, Knee pads, reinforced seat and knees, long lasting DWR and fit great. I have two pairs. I have not had the knees and seat wet out yet. They are waterproof. I have had the timberlines they will wet out quicker than the corrugate and corrugate will dry fasterView attachment 353383

That’s really good input, thank you! i’m gonna check those out

Lowg08

WKR
That’s really good input, thank you! i’m gonna check those out

I have owned basically every pant mentioned on the whole forum. Minus the prana so far I’ve sold everyone I’ve had besides the corrugate foundry and catalyst foundry. They check all the boxes.

BRGT2

FNG
Just buy the corrugate foundry. Large hip vents, Knee pads, reinforced seat and knees, long lasting DWR and fit great. I have two pairs. I have not had the knees and seat wet out yet. They are waterproof. I have had the timberlines they will wet out quicker than the corrugate and corrugate will dry fasterView attachment 353383
Thanks for this, the corrugate sound good.

Lowg08

WKR
Thanks for this, the corrugate sound good.
Just to clarify the seat and knees are waterproof. Not the entire pant but the DWR is outstanding. I’ve waded through shoulder high grass after a heavy dew several days in a row and not wetted out